Game Preview: Maple Leafs v. Rangers

11.8%, 18th

PK %

88.9%, 9th

68.4%, 29th

Goals For

Goals Against

The Leafs meet the New York Rangers for the second time in a week. This time the stage is the Air Canada Centre. Last Friday, the Leafs emerged with a 4-3 win over the Blueshirts. A strong second period saw the buds build a 3-1 lead but a couple of goals from Brian Boyle of all people sent the game to overtime. Jean-Sebastien Giguere's last second save set the stage for Phil Kessel's overtime winner. The two teams have swapped places from last year's start. Hopefully, the Leafs can extend their stay at the top of the standings.

A key flashpoint in the game came courtesy of noted POS Sean Avery who somehow escaped any discipline from the league despite having a long rap sheet and making a blatant attempt to injure:

Of course, the team is saying all of the right things about not focusing on a single player and focusing on winning the game. Having said that, if the Leafs manage a decent enough lead then I wouldn't mind seeing someone on the Leafs grabbing Avery and extracting a pound of flesh for his Derek Jeter impression. I wonder if Howard Berger will try to slander Avery again. More likely though is that Derek Boogaard will have his first fight of the year against Colton Orr. That's if they have finally figured out how to use the Boogey Man.

Some quick hits about the game:

9afbe0493939e439816e9acd97d61623
This space for rent.
#1 Eric Johnson
October 21 2010, 11:24AM

I would put my money on some player, doing something stupid in this game that results in the league coming down with some type of fine or disciplinary action.

Seems to be the norm nowadays anyway.

You gotta think Sather's days are numbered in NY.

#2 Wanye
October 21 2010, 11:26AM

Personally, I'm amazed that Sather has lasted as long as he has in NY. The Dolan family have a lot of patience it seems.

#3 CoryNewb
October 21 2010, 11:53AM

I just dropped Frolov in my fantasy league...with Gabby out for X weeks, I saw his value drop to the point of picking up somebody to replace Doughty for the DTD time being.

Go Leafs, shouldn't be as close as the last game was. I'm saying a 4-1 win for the Leafs.

#5 Wanye
October 21 2010, 02:59PM

When will you guys have a bio next to your avatar? THE WORLD AWAITS!

#6 CoryNewb
October 22 2010, 06:59AM

@Wanye

Awaiting....

Also, when will they update the schedule up top?