Omark Opus

Lowetide
December 11 2010 05:56AM

Jordan Eberle scored a sick shootout goal, just wicked. And you know what? Few will remember it. Why? Linus Omark brought out his Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and the crowd went wild.

It's making headlines in Finland and it is the talk of the town here. Not just the shootout beauty, but the entire team. Lordy the Edmonton Oilers have some bullets, and this just a few short months after the entire organization seemed to be hanging by a thread.

Stink for a few years, draft well and then hang on for the ride. If I didn't hate the Flames so much, I'd suggest it to their general manager Crazy McNutty.

The best part of the evening may have been the reaction to the shootout goal by the Lightning team.

GOT STAMKOS?

Village elder Steven Stamkos painted a grim picture for the future of our game when he spoke of the Omark tally. "I didn’t think it showed a lot of respect in this game.I mean, you don’t see Crosby or Ovechkin doing that and they’re the two best players in the game.(Omark’s) a creative player, he’s got good skill. I’m not taking that away from him, but it didn’t really have any implication on his moves, so I don’t know why he did that." The entire article is here.

I'll have a lash as to why he did that: it entertained the crowd and he scored a goal doing it!!! My word, the NHL needs about 30 of these guys to beat some of the stuffing out of a league that can turn a kid like Stamkos into Mr. Furry Brow overnight.

The fellow trying to choke poor Gerry Ehman of the Oakland Seals is none other than Eddie Shack. Back in the olden days, Shack would do damn near anything to entertain a crowd and he became known as a true character.

Make no mistake, Shack could play the game (he won wherever he went, strange coincidence I'm sure) and brought a physical element that bordered on crazy. Anyway, before we tell Mr. Omark to stop scoring goals that delight the crowd because we're fretting over the game's rich history, let's remember that this is hockey and we could use a little more character and a lot less structure in today's game.

What we have in Omark is a very important character in the story that is the new Oilers. He can play the Jerry Lewis part (to Pääjärvi's smooth Dean Martin) and when they make the Rat Pack films he can be the one who draws all the attention away from the robbery. Omark is a fully formed player and character: just add linemates and get rid of the extras, and we're on our way.

Question: after last night, how do you send Omark down when Hemsky is healthy? Riddle me that one, Batman. Linus rhymes with minus now, but this guy is the cock of the walk.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#51 DonDon
December 11 2010, 11:27AM

WOW! Hall, Eberle, MPS, Omark, Penner, Khabibulin, Cogliano all producing great performances and the defence keeping the Oil in the game last night.

When Hemsky and Horcoff return, time to reassess the makeup of the team. Should Fraser, Foster, MacIntyre, Stortini, Jacques, Vandermere, Strudwick fill positions that could go to developing more of the talent on the farm? Omark and O'Marra may be good enough to stick and there are others that may have earned the opportunity for more than a cup of coffee in the NHL.

#52 Got Dangles
December 11 2010, 11:29AM
wax for my stick wrote:

I can see why Stamkos might have thought what Omark did was a little dis respectful but to hear Martin St.Louis after the game bitch about it was a little offensive I thought. This coming from a guy who likes to skate in back wards most of the time on his shoot out attemps with his ass sticking out towards the goalie who also likes to throw in the snow job(spraying the goalie with snow) or spin o rama himself. Typical french hockey player to bitch about something. I don't get why Omark shouldn't be able to throw in his spin o rama at the start of the shoot out and yet St. Louis is allowed to do his at the end. f*#k, he sounded like a girl when he complained about it too, what a tool!

Agreed! I thought it was lame myself the st louis would complain about it...

#53 Jerk Store
December 11 2010, 11:47AM
Lowetide wrote:

I think Omark's reaction was real and no one has gotten to him (yet) to deliver the "Bull Durham" list of responses to the media.

Until he learns the book, we're going to get wonderful gifts from Omark. He's real.

LT you mean, "I am just happy to be here and I am taking it one shift at a time. The good Lord ....er ... whichever supreme being you believe in ... willing, the team will just keep on winning" ....would not be as honest as (or fun as),

"I do stuff like this. Why should I stop at this level?"

Gotta love it. Not sure if he is just young or a supremely talented flake, but I will say he is a hoot.

#54 Bi-Curious Gord
December 11 2010, 11:55AM

"Mr. Furry Brow"??? Classic! It's amusing to me how Martin St. Loius can bump his gums about the spin move. Hey Martin, before you lecture us about maturity and respecting the history of the game, take a gander at this clip of a certain undersized, skilled player show-boating in a shootout:

#55 GordL
December 11 2010, 12:01PM

While the Omark goal was wonderful, something else important happened with the game last night...

Calgary is now last in the West :D

#56 Matt Henderson
December 11 2010, 12:21PM

I could care less about what the players on the 29 other teams think. Hell, I think Omark should shoot first just so he can embarass and fluster the goalie right out of the gate.

If the other team's best players are off their game thinking about what Omark does while he's scoring shootout goals then it's even more reason to have him shooting.

The league wanted a dunk competition to end tie games and they were hoping that games would be ended on spectacular plays. Well here it was.

His story should be a commercial for the NHL. It should begin with being drafted in the zillionth round as an undersized long shot, becoming a youtube sensation, paying his dues in the AHL, and finally the commercial should end with the shootout goal.

#57 Wax Man Riley
December 11 2010, 12:40PM
Bi-Curious Gord wrote:

Thank you, and props to you, sir. Take that showboat!! That was so disrespectful.

I can completely understand not being happy with the move Omark pulled. In T-Bay, it was a bit of a slap in the face as they dominated the Oil in the 3rd and couldn't put it away, only to be beat by a crazy deke in the shootout (and Eberle's SSSIIIICCKK move, wow!).

Any fans that are complaining are jealous. I heard a lot of Canucklehead fans complaining, but I'm sure if it was one of their dear Sisters, they would be planning the annual parade route that will never happen.

....er ...oops .. they are already doing that

#58 Lochenzo
December 11 2010, 12:42PM

Swedish hockey, the birthplace of the spin-o-rama in the shootout. From Forsberg's shootout goal in the world championship to Omark's goal last night. If the league doesn't like spin-o-ramas, they've had ample opportunity to stop it.

#59 Lochenzo
December 11 2010, 12:45PM

All eyes are on Omark in the shootout last night. Expectations were very high and Omark delivered. I think that says something about Omark's character. One of those guys you want around when everything is on the line.

#60 bigrroberto
December 11 2010, 12:54PM

I love Omarks swagger.

If you look at it though, he had something to prove. The way he went out of training camp if he didn't come up here and at least give it 110% and try something spectacular then he really looks like an idiot.

I say good on him for speaking his mind, talking the talk, and walking the walk. For the sake of the team and the fans I really hope he can continue to improve and keep his spot on the club.

#61 madjam
December 11 2010, 12:59PM

Linus( King of Beasts, or is he the Peanuts comic character ) does his little twirl at the bus stop , at the bus stop , yeah he does his little twirl at the bus stop . Sorry Malone , Stamkos , and St.Louie have the Blues because they forgot to wear their tootoo's to the shootout at the Rexall Corall last night! Bleeding hearts they are . Wonder if clown suit Cherry liked it ?

#62 Wax Man Riley
December 11 2010, 01:05PM
madjam wrote:

Or does he do his little turn on the catwalk? Ya on the catwalk, ya, he does his little turn on the catwalk

#63 Wax Man Riley
December 11 2010, 01:11PM

@madjam

And yes those props are from me. That quote was almost as creative as Omark's shootouts.

~Why you gotta be such a hot dog?~

#64 Dennis
December 11 2010, 01:40PM

I posted this over at LT's site the day I heard 23's audio clip over on the official site but the kid's gonna be fun just because he's a bit of a dick and he's gonna be unfiltered in his interviews.

and it looks like he's gonna be able to play a bit too - not based on last night because I just posted the scoring chance numbers and he was awful at EV- but based on what he did in Russia and what he was doing down in the A.

#66 Oilers4ever
December 11 2010, 01:52PM

Wah wah Stamkos... go cry to your mommy ya big baby... Gimme a break... Is this what the league has come to? Big bunch of cry baby whiners when people try to entertain.. hate to tell ya baby Stammy.. but I'd rather his move than you skate up and too a wimpy ole slapshot.. BORRRINGGGG.... Go back to Tbay where people care more about the beach and sand than they do hockey.. apparently you don't know what's entertaining anymore.

#67 Magnus P.I.
December 11 2010, 03:08PM

If Omark played for Tampa Bay and scored on the Oilers last night, Stamkos and the rest would have been hooting, hollering, laughing, cheering and calling it a sick goal. They know it, everyone else knows it. They need to quit being sore losers.

#68 Spartacus
December 11 2010, 10:45PM
madjam wrote:

Is there no etiquette or political correctness in these brash and bold new entertainers like OMARK ? Cherry will probabln blast him as well , and who is Cherry to blast anyone to begin with ? I suppose league will fine him or suspend him for 20 games for conduct unbecoming to the other automatons that don't think creativity is anything more than intimidation and rubbing it in ?

Cudos for the kid for sprucing up the game and the shootout ! Maybe more will try the same now . Trust another Swede Cherry will probably say - just like Forsberg had done years earlier as i recall . Loved it and hope to see more creativity tried around the league . I wonder if Subban has any moves to go with his mouth on a shootout ?

The league more characters for it's entertainment package - nice to see some !!

No, no, no.

Get off the bandwagon, madjam. You are not allowed to enjoy this. Off, I say!

#69 pelhem grenville
December 12 2010, 08:09AM

@Ryan14

i'm thinking that's splitting hairs...

he still actually said "No Comment"...

i can't remember a time i heard any player say that to any question...maybe Bertuzzi re:Steve Moore but i think Matty got him off the hook by offering up his answer or version of how the kid needed to play it...

bottom line for me is this kid is scarier than he needs to be ... talent out the wazoo yes but he's almost like a trainwreck waiting to happen. and here i thought we'd seen the best Oiler trainwreck ever with Robbie Schremp.

jus sayin'

#70 Burger_Man
December 13 2010, 10:33AM

" . . . turned the puck as soon as napattuaan a full circle around, did hämäyslaukauksen and finally put the game means Lightning guard Dan Ellis in between your legs."

. . . now that is funny! I love Google Translate - gets just enough to be comical . . .