NHLNumbers Podcast Episode 3

NHLnumbers Podcast
November 30 2011 04:03PM

In the third installment of the NHLNumbers podcast, the regular cast including myself, JW and Justin Azevedo is joined by Robert Vollman, Flamesnation contributor and Hockey Prospectus author and one of the senior figures in quantitative hockey analysis. This episode features discussions of the psychological biases and habits that make objective analysis in hockey paradoxically counter-inuitive to the way we see and think about the game.

Segment 1

In the first segment, we talk to Rob about how he got his start in stats circles and some of measures he has created over the years.

Segment 2

In part two, we discuss the various ways statistical analysis clashes with the natural ways people encode and interpret information. Tendencies towards narrative creation and confirmation bias are mentioned.

Segment 3

Finally we swing back to measures employd by Hockey Prospectus, including GVT (goals versus threshold) and Robert Vollman's own SNEPTS system that uses histroical comparables to project current players potential output.

Whole thing

Get the whole she-bang here.

94ba95fab8740ada4d871df564c355cd
A podcast aimed at investigating advanced stats in hockey.
#1 Stocc
November 30 2011, 04:09PM

Behold the mighty FIST of Stocc!

.----.-----.-----.-----.
 /      \     \     \     \
|  \/    |     |   __L_____L__
|   |    |     |  (           \
|    \___/    /    \______/    |
|        \___/\___/\___/       |
 \      \     /               /
  |                        __/
   \_                   __/
    |        |         |
    |                  |
    |                  |

#2 Jerk Store
November 30 2011, 04:20PM

I have a hard time not fu .... er .... fouling paragraphs up. What is this wizardry you command?

Props for one of the few fists I have enjoyed (ya I said it).

#3 Archaeologuy
November 30 2011, 04:45PM

There are fists, and then there are FISTS. And that, my friend, was a FIST.

#4 Justin Azevedo
November 30 2011, 04:48PM

I'm a little disappointed I was not photoshopped onto penny's body. wrong? of course. but so, so right.

#5 Archaeologuy
November 30 2011, 04:51PM

Penny was the reason I hit the jump

#6 Tyler
November 30 2011, 05:16PM

LIkelihood aside, what you give up for Bobby Ryan? I've been dying to throw that one out there all day people? What say you?

#7 Stocc
November 30 2011, 05:55PM
Jerk Store wrote:

Props for one of the few fists I have enjoyed (ya I said it).

I had to put my stuff between some <pre> and </pre> tags to get it to stay the way I wanted it. Learned it the hard way.

#8 Robin Brownlee
November 30 2011, 05:59PM

@Tyler

How about Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle, then. That's unlikely, no?

#9 Wanye
November 30 2011, 07:17PM

"This episode features discussions of the psychological biases and habits that make objective analysis in hockey paradoxically counter-inuitive to the way we see and think about the game."

Sometimes I wear my Eberle jersey to bed hoping when I wake up I will be him.

*drools*

#10 I tried it at home
November 30 2011, 08:56PM

I dont consider myself a slow person or dumb, really, but that 2nd sentence had my eyes glazed over half way through. I do actually understand what it means, ie we see and believe what we WANT to see and believe, but man, this is dry. *throws on a video of Ryan Jones bashing and crashing **drools happily

#11 Vintage Flame
November 30 2011, 09:20PM
Justin Azevedo wrote:

I had considered it Jazzy, but I thought you would be mad at me.

#12 Rob L
December 01 2011, 08:13AM

Good stuff. Keep it coming. Minor guess: we may hear about the Wild next week/in the future?

#13 Graham
December 01 2011, 09:22AM
Tyler wrote:

Assuming he is on the market, they are not looking to take much in the way of salaries back, so the Flames would likely have to offer a forward prospect, a defensive prospect and a high pick. Honestly, I think that would require Backlund, Brodie and at least a 2nd round pick... If you are Feaster you would have to think about it... Ryan is a commodity the Flames simply don't have, a true high end / blue chip younger forward.

#14 negrilcowboy