Trade Target: Bogosian

Lowetide
February 16 2011 07:26AM

This is Zach Bogosian. 20-years old, he plays the toughest opposition available, has size and can handle himself. And he might be available.

Nick Kypreos has connections and a twitter account, plus he's an NHL Insider. When he tweets:

• "Bogosian hasn't officially asked to be traded but it's been noted he's not happy and would like change of scenery by next season."

I start thinking about ways to get him on the roster. Nothing against Adam Larsson, but if the Oilers take him with their lottery pick this summer it will be followed by at least two or three years of development. Defensemen develop by sundial, history tells us that much. Bogosian's growing pains are already well underway and a true defenseman is coming out the other side.

How good is Bogosian? Well his boxcars this season (47gp, 4-7-11 -16)  aren't spectacular but he's not a one trick pony either. What does he do? He handles the heavy lifting in Atlanta, as this chart shows (chart here) and if he's available the Oilers have to take a look at it. imo.

I'm not suggesting the Oilers trade their lottery pick for Bogosian, but a package of picks and players might be enough to pry him from the Thrashers. 6.03, 205 and his scouting report shines:

• Has great mobility. Owns a huge shot from the point and sound offensive ability. Is very aggressive and capable of shutting down opposing forwards.

That from HN.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#201 RossCreekNation
February 16 2011, 08:40PM
albertabeef wrote:

Crackenbury, RossCreek - which one of you guys helped Al Gore invent the internet?

That would be I - 'King of the Internets'.

#202 BarryS
February 16 2011, 08:40PM

Seems to me any players we get at the deadline will be for picks. Can't see giving up a player for a young malcontent who can't stick with the club he is on. Seems to me, teams will trade with the Oil for picks. Given the trades so far, it is highly unlikely we will get a real player back for Penner or Hemsky. Seems to me teams with high drafts don't need our players and teams who want our players have low draft positions. Question is, is there anybody in the draft a 20 to 30 draft who is good enough for our needs.

#203 RossCreekNation
February 16 2011, 08:41PM

P.S. Swing by the FlamesNation Live Chat to see how we do this ish ;-)

#204 Bi-Curious Gord
February 16 2011, 08:50PM

Well I guess this thread has come to a screeching halt now that 2 WINNERS are going back and forth over who was first to start a rumour. How about this: You guys are both Super-Smart Hockey Insiders!!

#205 Crackenbury
February 16 2011, 09:10PM

It's hard to believe how dense so many people are. I pointed out that I made the same comment a week ago ALONG with others BEFORE me. How does that equate to claiming I started it. The Internet I do take most of the credit for, but this rumor had legs long before I got involved.

PS. The moon landing was fake. You heard it here first.

#206 David S
February 16 2011, 09:20PM

Holy crap! Mention the word "trade" in a subject heading around here and everybody acts like Fred Flintstone with a gambling addiction...

#207 Harlie
February 16 2011, 10:06PM

@Bucknuck

props to livin on the island.

p.s - The wife and kids and I flew out there this past summer and it turned out that Ray Whitney and some of his buds were in the airport and on the same plane as us. Ray and his buddies were like saviours as they entertained our 2 young boys (3 and 1-1/2) who were restless as hell, by making faces and waving and cheering them on as they climbed stuff and generally caused mayhem in the airport and on the plane ride to Victoria.

When we landed Ray and the guys waved and said goodbye to the kids and we waved goodbye back. As we were exiting the airport we ended up running into Ray again and my wife and I shook his hand and thanked him and his buddies for entertaining the kids. I then asked him where he ended up signing and he told me Phoenix and I congrated him and wished him luck for the year. He modestly said thanks but quickly focussed the attention back to us by complimenting my wife and I on our healthy and happy kids and the beautiful family we have goin!

Low key, classy, solid human beings is how I would describe Ray and his friends. I hope you get another Cup Ray! Go Phoenix Go!

p.s.s - my wife once heckled Ray when he was riding along a parade in Fort Saskatchewan with the Stanley Cup. As he drew near to my wife and my Mom, she yelled out "Go Oilers!" I guess Ray turned his head and looked directly square at her and started laughing and gave her a thumbs up. Funny sh_t! Cool guy!

#208 9 Inches Uncut
February 16 2011, 11:13PM
David S wrote:

Yeah sort of explains how Eklund makes money.

#209 Peterborough
February 17 2011, 03:07AM

As someone who watched this guy play in Junior let me say don't do it. He's got a crazy attitude problem the last thing we need. We need character guys more than tallent. If we get Schenn then yes. But don't give up picks and def not Pitlick are you kidding me? and all the management bashing has to stop they have built the best prospect pool in the league and thats not homer talk its a fact the 2010 draft has is looking to be the best in rescent history for any team I can think of (1 L9, 2 L8's 5! L7's + other promising developement peices their is a chance 10 of our picks make it to the NHL!!!) its early but almost EVERYONE we took this past year has exceeded all expectations ala Hamilton at the WJC. Have faith people!! Lets be patient and build a winner and not be the the Toronto Maple Leafs!!!

#210 DoubleJ
February 17 2011, 03:58AM
Peterborough wrote:

i love our prospects, but LA has the best group of prospects going. Linden Vey has 95 points leading the WHL and he's not even in their top 20 for prospects.

#211 Hemmertime
February 17 2011, 08:21AM
Makarov wrote:

Gags omark and paajarvi has 18 games together, 2 rookies and a 21 year old kid.Do you really watch the games?, your comparison with Nilsson is pretty lame!

Nilssons GPG last season is double Omarks this season. PPG is basically a wash. Omark puts forth more effort in the corners (really fun to watch, like a pitbull fighting doberman) and is a better player. But saying Omark has played more like Nilsson than Hemsky (double the PPG of either of them) is logical. He has the sizzle of Hemmer and the production of Nilsson, dont let the flash fool you. He is a rookie and can turn into a better player - but he is already 23 years old so I don't see his peak as much better and I don't think he will hit PPG status (Hemmer).

And I watch as much as I can of the games. Normally that means I catch 98% of play during the season. *Edit* If you want to include linemates in the equation Nilsson had Cogs and a Younger Gagner... so, ya, that just hurts your case.

#212 5cups7years
February 17 2011, 08:54AM

You cant compare Nilsson and Omark..... Omark does not even have full NHL season under his belt despite being 23...Nilsson has showed up for as many games as Omark played.

#213 madjam
February 17 2011, 09:09AM

Tams probably suffering from trade overload with Hemsky and Penner possibly available ? Those players Tams might want to unload he probably is getting little to no action on . Can he parley the two to make a deal(s) ? I don't think he wants to let Penner or Hemsky go . Penner and Hemsky's value to other clubs is probably highest this trade deadline. Maybe Tams should declare both are untouchables , and get on with trading some other bodies, and lessen the overload ?

#214 madjam
February 17 2011, 09:15AM

Unless the Oilers plan on unloading Gagner and or Eberle , i see no reason to be drafting Hopkins this year . I think it's safe to cross him off the Oilers draft list .

#215 turnover
February 17 2011, 09:30AM

I don't care who they keep. I just want them to learn how to win. And if they are aiming for the first overall again in the draft, they are not learning how to win. There is such a thing as habits. Make wining a habit...!!!...You just might like it...we might also.

#216 Peterborough
February 17 2011, 09:47AM

LA? used to be above us but with only Schenn and Bernier as 8 prospect I don't think they are above us but they certainly are top 3. Big points in junior?? you mean like Robbie Scremp did? The kid is good does make there top 20 your just reading an un-updated report!!!

#217 stevezie
February 17 2011, 11:23AM

@Hemmertime

I agree that Omark's ceiling might be a powerplay/shootout specialist, but as Yannick Perreault's career proves, you can get by being really really good at only one thing as long as that thing is important.(See also M.A Bergeron,Boogaard etc)
That said, I love him on the forecheck and am hoping for more.

#218 Makarov
February 17 2011, 01:29PM
Hemmertime wrote:

My point is that omark line is pretty new (17)2-line duty games.You cant know yet what to expect from him. I mean omark has establish himself as a top-contributor in sel khl and team sweden before he came over, robert nilsson hadnt prove nothing before he came over.