Playoff Prediction Project Part 3

Jonathan Willis
May 14 2011 10:45AM

It’s time for the conference finals. In the East, Dwayne Roloson has been arguably the best player of this post-season, back-stopping the Lightning to a third-round battle with the Boston Bruins. Out west, it’s a championship of chokers as the much-maligned Canucks will face the San Jose Sharks.

Wanye went over the standing among writers for the first two rounds yesterday, and I will have a ranking for everyone in Oilers Nation before the Stanley Cup finals begin. Until then, here are the writer picks for Round 3, and please get your picks in below.

Writer VAN/S.J. Games BOS/T.B. Games
Drance VAN 5 T.B. 7
Gregor S.J. 7 BOS 6
Lansky VAN 7 BOS 5
Lowetide VAN 7 BOS 7
Wanye S.J. 6 BOS 6
Willis VAN 6 BOS 6
Wilson VAN 7 T.B. 7

Contest closes at puck-drop tonight.

In the meantime, I know I went with the consensus and picked Boston, but I will be cheering Dwayne Roloson and the Tampa Bay Lightning all the way to Game One of the Stanley Cup finals, at which point I fully expect Marc-Andre Bergeron to dump Tanner Glass all over his awesomely ancient goaltender.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 Horcsky
May 14 2011, 12:55PM

San Jose in 7 Boston in 6. Also, bravo Willis, for taking the infamous double post to a new level

#2 Wäx Män Riley
May 14 2011, 10:53AM

Fist.. and a re-post:

TO EVERYONE PICKING THE CANUCKS TO WIN OVER THE SHARKS BECAUSE HEATLY IS ON THE TEAM:

Remember (all of) the fans you will all have to put up with bragging, and gloating, and feeling deserved, and basically being Van Fans until The Oil win again.

How many Heatley fans do you have to put up with?

'Nuff said.

Sharks in 4. (Completely fueled by above comment.)

TBay in 7.

#3 Big Perm
May 14 2011, 11:10AM

Bos in 6 SJ in 5

Vancouver Can-sucks.

#4 OilFan
May 14 2011, 12:20PM

@Todd

Sedins huge series lol.

#5 Woodguy
May 14 2011, 12:31PM
Todd wrote:

Van in 6 and Tampa in 7. I am telling you Flames fans who will you cheer for? The BEST team in Canada or the team that took your cup in 04?

The Sedins will have a huge series. Douglas Murray? Really? PIckles really? Boyle really? LOL

Kesler will cement himself as the Conn Smythe winner.

I'm cheering for the team with the most Canadians (18) and Olympic Gold Medal winners for Canada (4)

San Jose all the way!

#6 Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement
May 14 2011, 11:26AM

SJ in 6

TB in 5

#7 Woodguy
May 14 2011, 11:35AM

SJS in 6 BOS in 7

Playing between Recchi and Marchand will be Seguin's coming out party.

#8 Todd
May 14 2011, 11:38AM

Kesler will cement himself as the Conn Smythe winner.

#9 Chickenplucker

#12 Oil Rigz
May 14 2011, 12:16PM

San Jose in 6

Boston in 6

#13 Freezing Weather Fan
May 14 2011, 12:26PM

Oh no... I was going to pick San Jose until I saw Gregor picked them, the curse is back on. That being said I'll still be rooting for them.

Van in 7, Tampa in 6, on the back of a stellar Roli.

P.S. When they win, I hope they announce or the coach gets asked by the media, that they're going to sit Bergeron for the first game of the finals.

#14 DrPow

BOS in 6

#17 Riles97
May 14 2011, 01:21PM

SJ in 6. Boston in 6

#18 PaperDesigner
May 14 2011, 01:26PM

I think San Jose is going to kick Vancouver's teeth in one of the first two games, set the tone, and win a six game series.

Roloson is going to outwill Thomas and find a way to force, and then win, game seven. Stamkos will be quiet in the early part of the series but score a few key goals late to help put the Lightning over the top.

And if it happens that way, I'm picking the Lightning to win it all.

#19 R.A. Slapshotzky
May 14 2011, 01:27PM

Thank you Heatley for not coming to Edmonton. We never would have been able build what we are building, and for that I hope you win the series. **********SHARKS in 6 games.

And to all the Rollie lovers...I'm getting really sick and tired of his helmet constantly falling off at the most opportune times in games. There's gamesmanship and then there's that. I know, I know he did that for Edmonton in 06', but I was disgusted when he did it in the last minute of game 7 when the pens had a great scoring chance to tie it....and NO PENALTY. Old bastard just grins to himself and throws his loose helmet back on his head for the next opportune time. I can't respect that.

One more thing how can any self respecting Oiler fan cheer for Guy Boucher ....the next coming of Jacques Lemiare (GAME BASTARDIZERs)

Oh and Bergeron is on that team too....hate him...cant cheer for him....I want the 06 cup back!

******BRUINS in 5!!!!!!

#20 @Oilanderp
May 14 2011, 01:28PM

VAN in 7 (both chokers will toss the wins back and forth like a bad game of hot potato; no YOU have the win, no YOU have it)

BOS in 5 (would've been a sweep with Bergeron, but will be fun to watch Seguin)

#21 Pilgor09

Bos in 7

p.s. i was 0-4 in the 2nd round!! oh yeahhhhh

#24 Palt
May 14 2011, 02:36PM

SHARKS IN 7

BRUINS IN 6

I PRAY FOR THE SHARKS TO WIN!

#25 ashley
May 14 2011, 03:19PM

VAN - 6

BOS - 6

#26 Aitch
May 14 2011, 03:35PM

Sharks in 6 Bruins in 7

#27 SmellOfVictory
May 14 2011, 04:30PM
@Oilanderp wrote:

BOS in 5 (would've been a sweep with Bergeron, but will be fun to watch Seguin)

I disagree, but your first description really tickled my funnybone.

#28 SumOil
May 14 2011, 05:30PM

Bos in 7 and Van in 6

#29 EvanAllTogether
May 14 2011, 05:46PM

Vancouver in 7

Tampa Bay in 6

#30 Mr. Pederson
May 14 2011, 07:04PM

Nucks in 7

TB in 6

#31 TigerUnderGlass
May 14 2011, 08:33PM

Missed puck drop but I have no idea what is happening so maybe I could just be docked a game or something?

SJ - 6 Bos - 5

Update: Now that I've seen the score I'm assuming my claim of not knowing what is happening will be believed, so no docking me now please.

#32 geoilersgist
May 14 2011, 08:40PM

tampa in 6 van in 7

#33 hoil
May 14 2011, 10:45PM

Vancouver in 6

Tampa Bay in 7

(I was busy tonight and didn't catch the score yet!)

Not that it matters, my 8/12 series so far isn't likely to win anything.

#34 Todd
May 15 2011, 01:01PM

Why is Oiler fan talking any smack at all? What are you on year 10 of your 5 year plan? Ohhh wow you have 3 rookies and Omark? Oh no! Sorry you WILL NOT be like Chicago because they had a thing called "goaltending" and "depth".

I am sticking with my predictions, the Cup comes back to Canada!

#35 CrazyCaptain88
May 15 2011, 03:55PM

I know its a day too late, but I was hoping I could still sneak in a prediction. If not I completely understand.

Bos in 7 & SJ in 7

#36 mayorpoop
May 16 2011, 02:43PM
Todd wrote:

I am sticking with my predictions, the Cup comes back to Canada!

pretty sure no one said vancouver was a bunch of un-talented hacks there while praising our oiler predicament.

i, like many others, despise the cansucks because of people/fan/not smart person like you.

sharks in 5 or 6 or 7 don't matter when they win as long as they do!

#37 D
May 16 2011, 05:43PM

I've been out of the loop and have completely busted your deadline, but will post anyway to continue from Round 1 and 2.

San Jose in 6 Tampa Bay in 6

#38 Harry Patrick
May 16 2011, 07:27PM

@Big Perm

Dany Heatley cost The Sharks that game last night.

I wouldn't be surprised, If The Flames Draft a Defenceman with Their First Pick this year! I could see them taking, Jamieson Oleksiak,From Northeastern University.