2011 GOAT PICKING

Wanye
September 26 2011 09:17PM

One of the many traditions here at the OilersNation.com interwebian website is the annual rite of picking the Goat and the Star for the upcoming season. What began as a way to blame an entirely awful season on a single undeserving player has evolved into a hilarious means of mocking one another to pass the time.

The season draws near - the goats need be named.

GOATS OF YORE

We have been picking goats for three seasons now and it has been a triumverate of mediocrity. Here has been the annual breakdown thus far, with links to the original article where available,

2008-09: Denis Grebeshkov

2009-10: Denis Grebeshkov

2010-11: Nikolai Khabibulin

Picking Nikolai Khabilbulin in 2011 to be your goat is sort of like picking Lindsay Lohan to not win any major film awards this year. It is a foregone conclusion right out of the gate and its getting kinda sad to keep poking fun.

Ever since we heard that Khabibulin – already a quiet chap from all accounts – is embarrassed by his DUI, feels bad for all the bad press he has gotten and just wants to move on with his career – we feel as though picking on ol’ Nikolai has lost its fun.

And so he gets a reprieve from the scorching pressure that is being our Goat for the year in the place of a far more deserving gato.

2011-12 GOATIE GOAT

Khabibulin trashing may have lost its lustre, but mocking Tom Gilbert on the other hand – well that just suits us to a tee. He has no adversity to overcome, just a wallet that needs a helicopter to lift and a giant goat shaped target on his forehead.

Mark our words, if Gilbert plays with a healthy Ryan Whitney all season he will undoubtedly rack up a boat load of second assists. This of course won’t be reflected in his season totals. Assists are assists. This will lead the uninitiated – and hopefully some NHL GMs – will think that Gilbert has returned to form and is a point getting machine.

This is false.

Softer than newly baked bread and sporting a shoe fetish Lady Gaga herself would admire, Tom Gilbert just ain’t our cup of tea. If the 2011-12 season is going to see a single goal scored on the Edmonton Oilers or even a solitary loss blemish their record it is going to be Tom Gilbert’s fault.

Believe that.

Who you picking in the 2011 Goat Sweepstakes?

PHOTOSHOP CONTEST WINNER

Clearly the funniest photoshop contest entry to date in the history of OilersNation.com is going to win Photoshop III: What If? The winning entrant - Barmstrong - has set the all time bar for photoshop awesomeness to date. As a rich, rich reward he is entitled to a catered lunch for 10 from Oodle Noodle.

As usual we would like to thank our sponsor Oodle Noodle, the champion Barmstrong and everyone who entered. These things are the bomb and there will be another one soon.

Enjoy the delicousness!

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Wanyes bastard child
September 26 2011, 09:20PM

Fist to go with Arch and say Omark is my goat. Same as last year.

#2 Brandon
September 26 2011, 09:27PM

My goat for the 2011/12 season is.....

..... Ben Eager.

He'll take many useless penalties and cost us many games.

#3 SirBastich
September 26 2011, 09:29PM

As per last year, I will have to go with Smiiiiiiiid!!! He will be my goat, oh yessssss...he will!!!

#4 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
September 26 2011, 09:33PM

In many parts of the world goats are sacred, why must we shame them so?

Goat - Cameron Barker

Hero - does not compute.

#5 @NateInVegas
September 26 2011, 09:35PM

My 2011-12 Goat is Ryan Whitney.

#6 JorgeR
September 26 2011, 09:36PM

I'm going with Barker. Foster was rubbish last season and Foster 2.0 is going to bomb even harder this season. He is going to be playing way over his head and when he has a -112 plus/minus playing on the top pairing in December I'll say I told you so!

#7 Clyde Frog
September 26 2011, 09:36PM

Goat - Brule if he sticks with the club, or barring that Mr Ales Hemsky.

He may score enough points to appear not to have goat like qualities, but he will injure himself right around the trade deadline and prevent the Oiler fans on cashing in on the 9 first round picks they will demand for his services.

#8 nate
September 26 2011, 09:36PM

MY Goat Ryan Whitney he wont be close to last years numbers i he will be injured half the season

#9 Colin
September 26 2011, 09:38PM

Sutton

#10 The Hall Way
September 26 2011, 09:40PM

I have to say, that no matter how many times I see that picture of Penner, I still laugh out loud. As for the goat, I am going to say, Peckham. He won't be able to handle the work load he is given, and will take more stupid penalties than Moreau did the year his eye changed colors

#11 DoubleJ
September 26 2011, 09:46PM

Khabi is the goat. Again. Maybe Eager, I really want Barker to be great, but I picked Foster to be the goat last and he won hands down IMO. Hopefully Barker works out, but he scares me.

#12 OutDoorRink
September 26 2011, 09:46PM

Ryan Whitney. Why do you think he's having so many problems finding foot ware that works? He has cloven hooves.

#13 yawto
September 26 2011, 09:52PM

My goat shall be cogliano this year. He may have been traded but his healthy streak combined with few nice California beaches will lead to a career year and we shall all claim he was the wrong one to give up on and force us all to question the fabtastic management of our team. The only thing worse than a goat in your face is one casting its voodoo from far away.

And the obvious choice this year will be the Hall Star.

#14 Puritania
September 26 2011, 09:56PM

In keeping with tradition my goat this year, as was last year, goes to the one, the only...Patrick O'Sullivan. The level of suck and self righteousness you brought upon the glorious Oiler silks is unforgivable. You will always be my goat you cloven hoofed bastard.

Khabi lets in a softie? goddamn O'Sullivan.

Horc whiffs on a sure thing? way to go POS.

Tom Gilbert gets smothered under a pile of tweezers, cotton balls and purses? you better believe Patty had somehing to do with it.

Tom Renney goes on a PCP binge and slowly dismemberes and eats the entire roster during intermission? Get the boys in blue over to O'Sullivans pad to book him for possesion with the intent to distribute of a schedule II controlled substance.

#16 VK63
September 26 2011, 10:05PM

Dan"........... Legend in his own mind"............. Tencer

#18 ubermiguel
September 26 2011, 10:10PM

Last year I picked Hall figuring no way he would live up to the lofty expectations. I was never so happy to be so wrong.

Gotta go with Gilbert this year. Big salary, big body, soft style of play, he reminds me too much of Tom Poti to last.

#19 SportsDad
September 26 2011, 10:10PM

Goat: Mr. Brule (If he makes the team) Otherwise Gagner

Star: the double D man himself, Devan Dubnyk

#20 Jason
September 26 2011, 10:15PM

Goat - Horcoff. May be the captain, but ever since K-Lowe signed him to that ridiculous contract, he hasn't produced.

Hero - Hall. Hands down. Oilers future captain. And having Smytty around to mentor him will only make him better.

#21 Spartacus
September 26 2011, 10:22PM

Wanye, I can't believe you passed up the opportunity to post a picture of the leaky goat! Surprising. Late onset of maturity?

Goat: Jones, I guess.

Hero: I'm pulling for Barker to have an outstanding year.

#22 the admiral
September 26 2011, 10:29PM

my goat is belanger. a distractingly handsome in a non gay way french accented goat. Like a young Gerald Depardieu

#24 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
September 26 2011, 10:31PM

Goat: Sutton with honorable mentions to Barker and Whitney.

#25 DaveManson
September 26 2011, 10:32PM

Sheep go to heaven, Goats go to hell.

Goat: Hemsky - he'll play all of 27 games this year and reduce his trade value to a sack of chipped pucks. We'll be begging for a redo of last spring's trade with L.A.

Sheep (hero): Our man Jordan in Eberlian fashion.

#26 Dog Train
September 26 2011, 10:33PM

Given our recent success with off-season acquisitions, Barker is certainly a candidate. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt however and am naming Linus Omark my goat.

Omark will need to make strides at both ends of the rink or risk getting passed on the depth chart by many promising youngsters who bring a more complete skill set. People will start to look past the flash and see a player who just isn't getting the job done. When the Oilers go through stretches where they struggle to score and Renney trots out the usual "we need to shoot the puck and go to the hard areas of the ice" speech, Omark will be front and center.

As for a hero, who better than Magnus? He was our best forward down the stretch last season, has looked confident in the pre-season and is ready to break out. He is looking to develop chemistry with countryman Linus Omark (aforementioned goat) but will instead experience his success with some other Scandinavians, Anton Lander Teemu Hartikainen.

#27 Dog Train
September 26 2011, 10:33PM

Double Post.

#28 Kodiak
September 26 2011, 10:38PM

My goat this year is Ryan Whitney. He was terrible defensively last year but got by on a high save % and some luck. That's not going to repeat itself. (it would be very out of character if I didn't give Gagner an honorable mention. His not improving again this year would classify as some serious goatiness too!)

#29 The Beaker
September 26 2011, 10:40PM

Goat: Tom Renney

#30 Feynman
September 26 2011, 10:50PM

Goat: Teddy Peckman

Hero: Linus Omark

#31 ItsTheBGB
September 26 2011, 10:54PM

Cam Barker

/thread

#32 ChiliChunk
September 26 2011, 10:56PM
Wanye wrote:

HAHAHA where is that piss goat? I forgot all about him.

Note: Everyone picking stars in the goat article will be so sad when they have nothing to talk about in the upcoming star article

#33 Woogie
September 26 2011, 10:59PM

My goat is omark. He will show flashes of brilliance but will be so bad in his own end I will end of breaking my tv with a beer bottle as I throw it.

#34 David S
September 26 2011, 11:29PM

I'm seriously leaning toward Brule as my goat for 11-12, but have to wait until the roster is set. Until then, my goat will be Tom Gazzola.

#35 Mike Krushelnyski
September 26 2011, 11:30PM

Khabibulin. Khabibulin will be so much of a goat that I don't even care if it's unfashionable to name him as my goat. He's just that goatty.

#36 Chuck deezee
September 26 2011, 11:48PM

Goat- Eager

Hero- Ryan smyth!!!!

#37 toprightcorner
September 26 2011, 11:56PM

This is a tough one as to qualify for a goat, one must play much worse than expected. Not sure if anyone can play much worse than last year.

Barker - reclamation project, can't qualify for a goat

Omark - maybe, but only played 51 games so not sure if he has the expectaions high enough that failure could caus him to be a goat.

Habby - if he plays only 25 games, can he be a goat?? I suppose if he was 3-18-4 he could

I would take those obvious choices out because the Oilers success is not dependent on their success or failure alone.

GOAT SELECTION - Gagner - in his fifth season, he will still not exceed his rookie campaign which will signify the end of his career with the Oilers

I would be Oh so happy if I was wrong and Gagner put up 62 points for 4th on the team

#38 O'Reilly
September 26 2011, 11:56PM

Goat this year will be shawn horcoff. May be a good leader but damn he has looked slow so far and sorry but 5.5 mil for a 30 point guy who isn't as good at faceoffs as he used to be. It's almost as easy as picking the bulin wall.

#39 stevezie
September 27 2011, 12:12AM

There are too many Goat candidates on this team to pick logically, so I'm going to go with my heart:
Ben Eager
Dirty, stupid and nothing special fight-wise, I was against the signing when it happened. I don't think he'll be important enough to really hurt the team, but I think we will soon regret the wasted roster spot.
Hero: Ales Hemsky. If he plays great and gets traded anyway for a great return that's still heroic, though for the record I hope we keep him.

#40 TigerUnderGlass
September 27 2011, 12:38AM
toprightcorner wrote:

Barker - reclamation project, can't qualify for a goat

Nothing like reasonable expectations.

Only three teams in the league had 4 players with over 60 points last season.

In Philly it took guys like Giroux, Briere, Carter, and Richards to accomplish it.

In San Jose it was Marleau, Thornton, Pavelski, Heatley, and Clowe.

Anaheim - Perry, Ryan, Getzlaf, Selanne, and Visnovsky.

I'm glad all Gagner has to do to earn his keep is become as good as one of these guys.

It is extremely difficult to put up 60 points as the 4th best scorer on a team.

Edit: I should add that my goat is Jones

#41 the professor
September 27 2011, 12:51AM

Afetr giving some serious consideration to the question of the goat, I have narrowed the field down to 3 acceptable options:

1. Theo Peckham - will likely be used in situations that he is not ready for. However, as this is not really his fault, I dismiss this as an invalid option for what I believe the goat is and all it stands for.

2. Amber McCormick - once ranked among my favourite writers on the nations, I cannot count the number of times I have opened the page (or pounded the refresh button) thinking to myself, "perhaps NOW there will be an article from her!". However, the perpetual heartbreak of OVER A YEAR (??!!) has hardened my heart to her feminine wiles. Still, an apology (or even an article) would pretty much mean all is forgiven, so that hardly counts as the enduring hatred befitting a true goat.

Thus, the only option is: 3. Sam Gagner - His ankle injury is clearly a ruse (often used by players on the brink of goat-worthy seasons) wherein they feign injury early to use as a crutch when their performance falls well below fans' expectations. Add to this his self-reported "off-season skating training" and "renewed focus on the details" and I suspect that #89 is setting himself up for another dissappointing season. (*bonus prediction: total points = FO% at 43)

#42 OilLeak
September 27 2011, 01:51AM

Wayne, You're a Gilbert hater too? This is getting exhausting, Gilbert is not the problem the rest of the d-corps are(Exception Whitney; Smid would be a great third pairing d-man, but alas it is not meant to be) I'm not convinced that peckham is any good, or Petry for that matter.

That being said...

Goat: Jones, Jones, and more Jones(Terrible!), with just a smack of Barker for good measure.

Hero: Got to be Eberlord!

#43 OilLeak
September 27 2011, 01:52AM

That being said...

Hero: Got to be Eberlord!

#44 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
September 27 2011, 05:27AM

My GOAT is easy

Nikolai Khabibulin

Stop the puck Grampa

#45 mayorpoop
September 27 2011, 06:28AM

my goat is Horcoff.

understand this not the fault of said goat but by coach renney and management for putting him in situations that he shouldn't be in. he should not be playing a ton of minutes with the our offensive juggernauts. 3rd line perfect centerman but as per management they will not see this reality.

my big shoulder player is eberle. kid is sick good. period.

#46 Stack Pad Save
September 27 2011, 06:31AM

The best goats are the ones that play all the time and continue to play all the time, even though they are continually laying GIANT EGGS, game after game after game. Alas that leaves me with Gagne the Goat. .... .....

#47 lostdog82
September 27 2011, 06:48AM

Goat: Gilbert Hero:Eberle GOAT (greatest of all times): Smyth

#48 The Beaker
September 27 2011, 06:49AM
Stack Pad Save wrote:

You're picking a GOAT from LA?

#49 Rob...
September 27 2011, 07:13AM

~My goat this year is Wanye. He'll be late be extremely late posting Nation Radio clips more often than not.~

#50 jayoilfan
September 27 2011, 07:39AM

Goat = Horcoff, I know he scored in Calgary on the weekend but it was a garbage goal and he whiffed on several passed he got in good spots, not surprising.

He constantly does this.