Stay the Course

Jason Strudwick
January 31 2012 10:05PM

 

 

When the rumor mill spit out last week that Steve Tambellini was going to get a contract extension it set off a lot of debate. Should he be extended or not? Does he deserve it? Should Tom Renney be extended as well?

I believe that both Tom Renney and Steve Tambellini should remain in their positions next season. I have been a part of organizations that change coaches and/or GM's frequently. It does not work. Bringing in a new philosophy would mean a change of course for the team.

This could mean a new approach to drafting and free agent signing. It could set the team back at a important time in the rebuilding process. Each GM has a vision of the team he would like to ice. Having a coach that can implement a system that will mesh with the types of players the GM acquires is very important.

Before the lockout I was playing with the Chicago Blackhawks. Mike Smith was the GM and the coach was Brian Sutter.

Talk About a Mismatch

Mike favored european players, specifically Russian so he was always adding that type of player for a coach who believed in meat and potatoes hockey. Telling a Russian skilled forward to dump it in and run someone over didn't work. The team never had a chance at success with that combination.

I believe that Tambellini and Renney are on the same page. The Buffalo Sabres are a great example of a GM and coach duo that works and has brought a lot of stability to an organization that has had reasons not to be (ownership issues). Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff are very good and respected throughout the league.

Before the season, many people expected the Sabres to be near the top of the eastern conference. With all the big signings and trades they did in the off season it was a reasonable expectation. However it has not been a great year for the Sabres. Injuries to key players have killed their record. Now people are demanding changes to the management and coaching positions.

Does this story sound familiar? I think it is near impossible to judge how good a team the Oilers are when top players are out for extended periods. Take a look at the D-man injuries to Whitney and Barker. It put to much pressure of the D-corps. They are both twenty minute guys and you can't replace that for months. Throw in Gilbert's injury and that is three of your top four D-men out.

The consecutive seasons with high man games lost are what concern me. Yes, many of the injuries have been flukes but this has been happening for three or four years now. Is that really bad luck or is it a pattern that has developed? I think more rest days would reduce some of those fluky injuries. Now is the not the time to make radical changes. Stay the course and say your prayers that the injury bug finally moves on to another team next year. A healthy team for 82 games would be a nice change and improve the teams record.

Way easier

 

Last night I scored an empty net goal. The first of my career. I thought back door tap-ins were easy but without the goalie between the pipes my chance of goal scoring success goes up at least a few points!

5cf6b487166aced0cd781e41bfef915e
Jason hosts the Jason Strudwick show from 9pm to 12am, weeknights on the team 1260. He is an instructor at Mount Carmel Hockey Academy and loves working with the kids. Having played over 650 games in the NHL, Jason has some great stories and unique takes on life in the NHL. He loves Slurpees and Blizzards. Dislikes baggy clothes and close talkers.
Avatar
#1 nofool6110
January 31 2012, 10:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
4
props

Mad props to you, Mr. Strudwick! Wishing the best for continued success from E-town! :)

Avatar
#2 Wanyes bastard child
January 31 2012, 10:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Tell me I'm wrong.

Your wrong :P

Avatar
#3 TigerUnderGlass
February 01 2012, 05:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props
grodapare wrote:

The truth doesn't sell tickets. Hope puts asses in the seats. ST evaluated, knows what he had, elects to sing a sweet melody. Nothing wrong with the ol'positive spin. Everyone wants to hold his feet to the fire cuz this used car only gets 15 mpg instead of the advertised 18? Deal with it. His extension should silence the critics but it won't.

Is this a serious response? You believe that an extension somehow proves he is competent?

He put on a positive spin huh? Absurd. He has already once tried his best to ice a winner and finished last and now suddenly he is a great evaluator of talent?

It's funny how every defense of Tambellini takes the form of "I'm sure he knows what he's doing."

WHY? Why does anyone believe this? He has never ever ever done a single thing to demonstrate that he knows what he is doing, and has repeatedly done things to make himself look incompetent. So where is this blind faith coming from? Baffling.

Avatar
#4 Robin Brownlee
January 31 2012, 10:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

Nice timing on this item, Struddie. With five points from the last three games, maybe the levels of panic and angst will decrease in equal proportion to the calls for Tambellini and Renney to be dismissed immediately.

At least until back-to-back losses to Chicago and Detroit . . .

Avatar
#5 a lg dubl dubl
January 31 2012, 10:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props
Wanyes bastard child wrote:

Your wrong :P

Bazingga lol

Avatar
#6 Word
January 31 2012, 10:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

@Wanyes bastard child

My wrong or his wrong?

Avatar
#8 simon says
February 01 2012, 11:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

Arch

What you have presented is a rant that ST has done nothing to improve this team. Which is wrong. Last summer between trades and UFA signings "Mr.Dithers" was one of the most active GM's in the NHL. That's a fact.

The positives are already laid out in my previous post. I won't apologize if it was over your head.

Dman

Are you one of the same people saying sign Roloson to a multi year deal? It's very convienent to point to one thing or player and say that's why. You seem to forget that hockey is a team game. When you have half you d turn over in a summer and as many injuries as they have had it becomes an accumulation of things not one player.

Jamie

The numbers are fact. Your opinion is not.

Everyone has an oninion. Mine happens to be based on the results I have seen and the numbers that back it up. The Oilers have improved in just about every aspect and without the injuries it is reasonable to expect them to be in a different position than they are now.

You can blame ST for areas that he failed. But if your not willing to give him any props for what he has done right you have absolutly zero credibility in my opinion

Avatar
#9 Simon says
February 01 2012, 12:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

They actually have allowed 24 fewer goals than Tampa who sits 29th in GA. Saying GAA is based strictly on the goaltenders performance is both ignorant and irresponsible. As well saying that one scoring chance is equal to any other scoring chance. Or that one shot is equal to another.

You can twist as many stats as you want to back up your opinion Tiger. But if you are saying that the quality of the team in front of them has nothing to do with goaltenders stats then I am finished conversing with you.

Avatar
#10 Matt Henderson
February 01 2012, 12:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

@simon says

Ok, let's get this clear. My response to you basically said, we are probably going to have to agree to disagree. Nowhere in there did I make a snide remark about you not being bright enough to understand. But since the gloves are apparently off now, I will preface this by saying that you are the kind of fan that has allowed this management group to continue to make mistake after mistake without consequence.

What is Khabby a downgrade from? A starting Goalie in the NHL. That is what Khabibulin is a downgrade from. The Choice was not Khabi or Roli. It was Khabi and any other Goalie available. We got teathered to an aging goalie with chronic injury history and a failing save percentage. All of these things were known and despite them he was given a contract AT LEAST 1 year too long and 1 million too high. He cant stop the Puck with #1 NHL Goalie regularity. What good is a veteran goalie if he cant stop the puck?

Activity on the deadline and on FA day does not signify anything positive. The teams that make the most moves are the teams with the most holes. Check out how much Vancouver changes its team on the 1st and the trade deadline. Good teams dont need to massively alter their rosters every season.

"Now if you really want to turn a bottom feeder in to a team that would contend for a playoff spot I suggest you go over to Flames Nation." Do you not recognize that the very same GM you are poorly defending is the one who wanted to contend for the Playoffs? Wake up, Simple Simon, you are blasting me for holding a GM to the standard by which he himself set.

The Defense is an absolute joke. There was no depth in August and it has shown since November. This issue was brought up over and over again before the season even started by the MSM and Bloggers. The writing was on the wall. This season the Oilers have used untested players in Key roles on the backend to obvious results. Losses, Simone. Losses. And lots of them. 5 Defensemen have suited up with less than a year's NHL experience. Potter and Petry have significant roles on a team that needs much more experience on the back end. To think this group is better in any way than previous is a farce. Lets not forget that Tambi's big D acquisition, Whitney is now playing at 80%, possibly forever, because of a foot condition known to Robin Brownlee from before Whitney was even an Oiler. Defending that mess back there is a joke in poor taste.

Offense certainly has improved. You can place that squarely on Tambellini to be sure. His teams have been so bad that they finished dead last twice in a row, allowing us to pick up PowerPlay wizards like Hall and RNH. Without them setting up and scoring on the PP we wouldnt have a single thing on those units that wasnt already there before Tambellini arrived. Oh, and I'm sure Stu MacGregor receives no credit for securing Eberle and Tom Renney had nothing to do with the PK or the PP either. All Tambi.

I dont take kindly to being told something might be over my head, especially from somebody so obviously either a professional jock sniffer or certifiably insane. But after your response I think it's pretty easy to laugh off, because you are so out of touch with reality that you actually think it's the other people in the room that dont understand.

Avatar
#11 simon says
February 01 2012, 01:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

Arch,    Your lost and running in circles.   You seem to think that every team can be managed in the exact same way. Coming out of the lock out those same bloggers called the Vancouver Canucks an AHL team with an All Star Goalie. All players are unproven until they play. Was it an ideal situation for the Oilers? No, that is clear.   Second we didn't get tethered to an aging goalie. It was called signing a transition player. What did we get? A 4 time allstar, Olympic gold medal winner and Stanley cup champion who by all accounts has been a good teacher for Dubnyk. You also seem to forget as a failing team in the most northern climate we will pay a million too much and a year too long for almost any UFA. Besides he is over 3 years younger and has far more accolades than Roloson who signed for .25 million less and only one less year.   As for you standards from going from a bottom feeder to a playoff contender. What would you have ST do? Sure he could have made the deals to all but ensure we make the playoffs. That also would have gone against what he has stated he is trying to accomplish by building a contender rather than acquiring one like Burke is attempting. Do you know the difference?    The defense is the biggest glaring weakness that the Oilers have. You will get no argument from me. It has been exposed and taken advantage of at many times this year. But unlike many people on this site, I do not agree that top 4 defensemen can be obtained by trading our junk, garbage and scraps.   The power play has actually gotten better without RNH. Will that continue? No, he has been the single biggest factor. But the faceoff wins by Belanger, the net presences of Smyth, (oh wait ST gets no credit for that, it literally fell in his lap~) Jones and Eager has nothing to do with that. Just like the fact that having guys like Hordichuk, Sutton and Eager have done nothing to improve the amount of power plays they get.   If you can't handle someone poking holes in your narrow minded and weak rant then that's your problem not mine. I suggest you stop posting on the internet.   Now if Katz or Klowe could see your enlightened posts I am sure you would be a close Oiler advisor in no time!

Avatar
#12 Dave Lumley
February 01 2012, 01:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

@Matt Henderson

Arch, usually your opinions are well thought out but in this case SIMON is bang on. At times, you go over the top when touching on emotional soft spots like your distain for Tambellini or your like of Gagner.

Simon is right on with his analysis. One judgement used as a critque of Tambellini is his prediction that the Oilers should be competing for a play off spot. Just as Jason Strudwick states, a big mess of key injuries will seriously affect your team performance. If, which is not a major stretch, the Oil had 5 more wins through this injury bug, then we would be exactly where Tambellni predicted we would be, just out of the playoffs and playing meaningful games.

Tambellini has acted, defence is improved over last year, and team performance in key areas such as the PP and PK have improved. Perfect? Of course not! But certainly in a positive direction.

What will finally justify Simon thinking as right, is that Katz, with some solid advise will reup Tambellini. Remember, Katz probably has a thick binder outlining Tambellinis plan sitting on his desk and its probably right on schedule. Like it or not.

We do not have the depth of Detroit and that is why we are rebuilding. To think that can be done in a year or two is seriously naive.

Avatar
#13 TigerUnderGlass
February 01 2012, 02:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props
Simon says wrote:

They actually have allowed 24 fewer goals than Tampa who sits 29th in GA. Saying GAA is based strictly on the goaltenders performance is both ignorant and irresponsible. As well saying that one scoring chance is equal to any other scoring chance. Or that one shot is equal to another.

You can twist as many stats as you want to back up your opinion Tiger. But if you are saying that the quality of the team in front of them has nothing to do with goaltenders stats then I am finished conversing with you.

Save percentage accounts for 18 goals less given up just to this point in the season. If the team is giving up approximately the same number of scoring chances as least year how else do you account for this difference? Do you understand what a scoring chance is?

What is the more likely explanation - that the team has improved in their ability to stop goals without lowering the number for chances against or that the goalies are having a mildly better season?

Ignorant and irresponsible? Ignorance is making claims with NOTHING to support them. I'm twisting nothing. You, on the other hand, are grasping at straws to defend a GM who has yet to display a reasonable level of competence.

Avatar
#14 TigerUnderGlass
February 01 2012, 02:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

@Dave Lumley

Simon is right on with his analysis

What analysis? He hasn't done any.

Tambellini has acted,

How is this a positive?

defence is improved over last year,

No it hasn't. Otherwise they would be giving up less chances.

What will finally justify Simon thinking as right, is that Katz, with some solid advise will reup Tambellini. Remember, Katz probably has a thick binder outlining Tambellinis plan sitting on his desk and its probably right on schedule. Like it or not.

I don't know where to start with this bit of comedy gold. I can't decide which is funnier, "solid advise," or "Tambellini's plan." The binder part is good too.

Either way, props for claiming that an extension is somehow evidence of his quality. I haven't laughed so hard since earlier in the thread.

Avatar
#15 michaelz
February 01 2012, 03:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

"The growing parody through the league"

I knew the NHL has problems in certain markets, but it's spreading?

Avatar
#16 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
February 01 2012, 03:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props
simon says wrote:

Arch,    Your lost and running in circles.   You seem to think that every team can be managed in the exact same way. Coming out of the lock out those same bloggers called the Vancouver Canucks an AHL team with an All Star Goalie. All players are unproven until they play. Was it an ideal situation for the Oilers? No, that is clear.   Second we didn't get tethered to an aging goalie. It was called signing a transition player. What did we get? A 4 time allstar, Olympic gold medal winner and Stanley cup champion who by all accounts has been a good teacher for Dubnyk. You also seem to forget as a failing team in the most northern climate we will pay a million too much and a year too long for almost any UFA. Besides he is over 3 years younger and has far more accolades than Roloson who signed for .25 million less and only one less year.   As for you standards from going from a bottom feeder to a playoff contender. What would you have ST do? Sure he could have made the deals to all but ensure we make the playoffs. That also would have gone against what he has stated he is trying to accomplish by building a contender rather than acquiring one like Burke is attempting. Do you know the difference?    The defense is the biggest glaring weakness that the Oilers have. You will get no argument from me. It has been exposed and taken advantage of at many times this year. But unlike many people on this site, I do not agree that top 4 defensemen can be obtained by trading our junk, garbage and scraps.   The power play has actually gotten better without RNH. Will that continue? No, he has been the single biggest factor. But the faceoff wins by Belanger, the net presences of Smyth, (oh wait ST gets no credit for that, it literally fell in his lap~) Jones and Eager has nothing to do with that. Just like the fact that having guys like Hordichuk, Sutton and Eager have done nothing to improve the amount of power plays they get.   If you can't handle someone poking holes in your narrow minded and weak rant then that's your problem not mine. I suggest you stop posting on the internet.   Now if Katz or Klowe could see your enlightened posts I am sure you would be a close Oiler advisor in no time!

just think how epic your posts will be when you finally figure out how to use that enter button on your keyboard.

Avatar
#17 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
February 01 2012, 04:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props
simon says wrote:

Posting from my Blackberry. As a none citizen. Thanks for making such a valid point though.

some guy around here said something i found interesting

If you can't handle someone poking holes in your narrow minded and weak rant then that's your problem not mine.

he might have been onto something after all

Avatar
#18 TigerUnderGlass
February 01 2012, 04:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

I think a lot of people defending Tambellini misunderstand the issue.

Nobody is claiming that the Oilers should be close to being a playoff team. The fact that they are still bad is not precisely the problem.

The problem is that Tambellini went into this season believing they were good enough to compete for a playoff spot, and, despite some positive surprises, they are still not even close.

This complete inability to evaluate his team is why he should be fired. It isn't even the first time he went into a season believing he had a much better team than he had. Someone this clueless has no business running an NHL team....even if some people believe the fact that he happens to already hold the job presumes competence.

Avatar
#19 TigerUnderGlass
February 01 2012, 07:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props
Simon says wrote:

So any improvement that has happend is either explained away by ones interpretation of statistics, a complete fluke or is the result of drafting because of an incompetent GM.

Anything that is bad with the team is explained as an incompetent GM.

Yet I am the one drinking kook-aid and not making sense.

The arguments against Tambellini are not complicated.

The team is not playing any better and are giving up the same number of scoring chances but they have given up less goals. What it the simplest explanation for that?

a) The Oiler's are somehow better defensively even though every available metric other than goals against says they are not.

b) The Oilers have had better goaltending.

Seems obvious to me. This isn't about explaining things away, it's about using all available information to develop an informed opinion. So far your opinion seems to be based on nothing but wishes and dreams.

It's not hard to finish last. Everyone I know could do it. So far Tambellini hasn't even hinted at an ability to build using any method besides drafting as early as possible and the best defense anybody has come up with so far is "he's a GM, you're not, don't question him."

You still haven't answered my question from earlier - why should we believe he can do anything besides draft #1 picks?

Avatar
#20 TigerUnderGlass
February 02 2012, 12:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

@Simon says

Now maybe I'm just a simple Simon

Finally. Something we can agree on.

The only metrics you need are these

I only now realized that you are just trolling. So when Minnesota was in first place earlier in the year did you believe they were really a first place team? You must have been sure Colorado was going to win the cup 2 years ago too huh?

Say there are two teams, on average team (a) gets outchanced 23-4 and outshot 45-13 but has a recond of 5-6. Team (b) gets outchanced and outshot by the exact same margin but their record is 2-9. Is team (a) really a better team or did they get lucky for a while? Your refusal to even acknowledge these factors does not help your credibility.

Now I really don't want to have to answer your question for a 5th time so please if you don't understand just go away.

You haven't answered it even once. You just keep repeating the party line.

Avatar
#21 TigerUnderGlass
February 02 2012, 10:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props
On top of that not every scoring chance is equal! You can have two breakaways, if one player loses control of the puck and gets a very poor shot on net, it is counted EXACTLY the same as a guy who makes an incredible move and the goalie stones him!

Luckily we aren't just talking about 2 scoring chances here. I love that you point out the Minnesota sample size but ignore Colorado and then go on to use a two chance sample size to "prove" your point about chances.

Did you know goals that bounced off 3 players and trickle over the goal line are counted EXACTLY the same as one scored when a player beats 3 guys on his way to the net, makes 13 moves and scores top corner?

At first I thought this could be a serious conversation, but now your responses have reached Showgirls status...so far beyond terrible they have come all the way around to awesome. Please don't stop now.

Avatar
#22 mikeisthird
January 31 2012, 10:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Can we really trust a GM who didn't re-sign you, Struds?

Avatar
#23 Wanyes bastard child
January 31 2012, 10:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Nice timing on this item, Struddie. With five points from the last three games, maybe the levels of panic and angst will decrease in equal proportion to the calls for Tambellini and Renney to be dismissed immediately.

At least until back-to-back losses to Chicago and Detroit . . .

Mr poopy pants again?

Avatar
#24 Robin Brownlee
January 31 2012, 10:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Wanyes bastard child wrote:

Mr poopy pants again?

Tell me I'm wrong.

Avatar
#25 Time Travelling Sean
January 31 2012, 10:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Woah Robin let them get on the plane to the game first.

Avatar
#26 Biowolf
February 01 2012, 12:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Is the captain of the Costa Concordia getting a new contract too ?

Avatar
#27 Wax Man Riley
February 01 2012, 02:44AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Word wrote:

My wrong or his wrong?

I see what you did there

Avatar
#28 Wanye
February 01 2012, 05:05AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Another goal? You should have joined the Nation years ago. You are ON FIRE

Avatar
#29 michael
February 01 2012, 07:39AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Panic if we lose to Chicago and Detroit? Not likely. If it was Columbus and Carolina that would be a different story. Losing to 2 of the best teams in the lague is no shame. Its how we lose is what concerns me the most. Most nights we can say we have shown effort. But for the most part our losses have been as a result of lack of forsight on ST part to ensure that we have veteran NHL depth on defence.Not AHL. We have looked outskilled and overmatched for many nights this season. The trade deadline is coming up soon. The talk of renewal for ST can wait till the end of the season. A full assessment needs to be done of the organization at that point. Including the work of one ST. Giving him an extension now would be ill timed. ST always talks himself about evaluations and taking it one step at a time and process. Is his position as GM of this team not to be done in the same way as the rest of this organization? Wait till the season is over and then let the process of renewals and extensions begin.

Avatar
#30 Clyde Frog
February 01 2012, 09:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

/rant on

Can we stop calling it "advanced stats" and start calling it what it is...

Ratio's done and then minimal regression analysis applied.

This basic measurement is then posted where people make wild predictions and retroactively explain their data based on the sample group given and fit the explanation to the numbers...

Anyone remember the advanced statistician who said RNH would be terrible simply based off his goals to assist ratio....?

Stats works for Baseball because you can isolate each instance into a single interaction between the ball and the player. This is not even close to true for Hockey, so many unfactorable variables.

/rant off

And I'm out! kkthxbbqbai!

Avatar
#31 Sheldon "Oilers Fan for Life!!!"
February 01 2012, 10:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Walter Sobchak wrote:

That'' s a great segway to my next question, if Those players went down on both teams as you mention, what GM would act to fix the situation? Or can it be fixed? Because of cap restrain.?

I'm more incline to think that the Wings have better depth and there GM would act. Not Tambo

Better depth is a true solution. Would any one argue that our farm was basically nonexistent and quite possibly the worst in the league only a few years ago? I would also say that it is now above the 50 percentile of farm quality. There is still a long way to go to meet the Detroit model but we have made big strides in 2 years. Time will tell how it changes and improves but this was a very broken system 2+ years ago.

Avatar
#32 simon says
February 01 2012, 11:13AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Matt Henderson wrote:

Couldnt disagree with you more on this one Jason. The Rebuild was announced halfway through a season in which no Rebuild was ever intended. This season he made it absolutely clear that his goal was to play meaningful games in March. It isnt going to happen, the Oilers sit 29th in the League. Tambellini is on Coach 3 in 4 years. Pat Quinn, his first hire as a coach, lasted a single year before being shuffled away.

Then there's the personnel choices. From Patty O'Sullivan to Khabibulin to Cam Barker, there have been way too many downgrades in talent and effectiveness.

I recognize freak injuries happen and that affects a team's ability to compete, but teams built around injury prone players, or worse, players who are miscast in their roles (Barker, Horcoff top 6) are fundamentally flawed.

In 4 years what has Tambellini shown that suggests he is capable of making good decisions that dont immediately need corrective steps? He couldnt build a playoff contender early in his tenure. He couldnt hire a coach that fit the team's needs. He couldnt take a bottom feeding team and add enough parts to compete again for a playoff spot.

3 stated goals, 3 colossal failure. Player moves can be a gamble. Nobody thought Belanger would be this useless in the offensive zone. It happens. But failing to achieve, or even coming close, on over-arching goals for the Franchise has to be damning to a GM. Those should not be swept under the rug and forgotten.

The rebuild was announced half way through a season that the Oilers were setting a record for man games lost.

What exactly is Khabby a down grade from? The stellar season that Roloson is having? I sure wish we signed him to that 3.5 mil contract instead of Khabby. Besides it's not like we aren't going to need a veteran goalie next year. Dubnyk is not ready to play 60+ games yet.

Now if you really want to turn a bottom feeder in to a team that would contend for a playoff spot I suggest you go over to Flames Nation. That team has a bright future of 11th to 7th place finishes.

The Oilers injuries have been a factor. For 3 consecutive seasons now the Oilers have been losing their best players. That obviously has to be studied and addressed to find the root cause. Maybe it's just bad luck. I know you will say that ST failed to provide depth and it's his fault. I would argue that to a point. Look at the Penguins. Arguably the best and deepest teams in the east WHEN HEALTHY! They were out of the playoffs 10 games ago until Malkin started playing like he's possessed and has carried that team in to a playoff position. Do you blame the GM and call for his head halfway through the season? When 3 of their top 4 players were injured? That does not make sense. Now have the Oilers injuries been any less important to them?

I don't think so.

So changing a contending team in to a team challenging for a playoff spot is three major injuries away. Just like changing a team challenging for a playoff spot to a team in a lottery pick situation.

Now some of you will say I am drinking the Kool-Aid. Which maybe I am. But the way I see it the Oilers are much improved from last year. I could say it's my opinion but let's look at the facts:

1) The PP is lights out 1st at home and 3rd overall or so they said on last nights broadcast

2) The PK is much improved and sitting somewhere in the middle of the pack

3) The defense is also improved. Yes it is. Last year they were 29th in GA. This year they are 20th. Allowing 8 less goals than the deep NHL caliber defense of the Toronto Maple Laughs.

4) The offence has improved from 27th last year to 22nd this year.

So despite the fumbling of ST (according to you) and despite the fact that they have again faced injuries to their best players (fact) they have improved in many of the key areas that translate in to wins.

So you call it colossal failures. I see an improved team. If this trend continues, an average increase of 7 spots in the GF and GA in the league. That would put us into the top 10 in 3 years and top 3 in 4 years. That would be right on track with what ST said to expect. The wins will come. If the team continues to improve in the areas it has it is inevitable.

~But seriously, this GM sucks and has failed miserably to help this team in any way ~

Avatar
#33 Yourmomthinksimhot
February 01 2012, 01:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@simon says

Sorry, next time I'll try not to agree with someone when I find their opinion completely right and lacking of any further input........

Avatar
#34 Matt Henderson
February 01 2012, 02:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@Dave Lumley

"We do not have the depth of Detroit and that is why we are rebuilding. To think that can be done in a year or two is seriously naive."

Why this has been so hard to understand is beyond me. Let's make this clear. I am not the delusional one who couldn't see past the lack of organizational depth and thought we could turn it around in 2 years.

Those expectations were set by the very guy you are defending. Steven Q. Tambellini. Meaningful games in March.

I just want to hold him accountable for failing to meet his goals.

Avatar
#35 Yourmomthinksimhot
February 01 2012, 02:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Dave Lumley wrote:

Arch, usually your opinions are well thought out but in this case SIMON is bang on. At times, you go over the top when touching on emotional soft spots like your distain for Tambellini or your like of Gagner.

Simon is right on with his analysis. One judgement used as a critque of Tambellini is his prediction that the Oilers should be competing for a play off spot. Just as Jason Strudwick states, a big mess of key injuries will seriously affect your team performance. If, which is not a major stretch, the Oil had 5 more wins through this injury bug, then we would be exactly where Tambellni predicted we would be, just out of the playoffs and playing meaningful games.

Tambellini has acted, defence is improved over last year, and team performance in key areas such as the PP and PK have improved. Perfect? Of course not! But certainly in a positive direction.

What will finally justify Simon thinking as right, is that Katz, with some solid advise will reup Tambellini. Remember, Katz probably has a thick binder outlining Tambellinis plan sitting on his desk and its probably right on schedule. Like it or not.

We do not have the depth of Detroit and that is why we are rebuilding. To think that can be done in a year or two is seriously naive.

When you drafted 3 players in the first round, including 6th overall in 2007, and in the top ten every year excluding one since, you've been rebuilding for more than 2 years......

That's 4 out of 5 years of drafting in the top ten, including a top ten talent the one year you didnt draft top ten.

Arch is right, when I myself as a fan with no scouting background can plainly see that the defense and goaltending are questionable, then how does the GM of an NHL team come out and say this team will compete for the playoffs?

We in fact have more depth than Detroit because of our high drafting, the difference is Detroit's depth is more NHL ready because unlike us they develop EVERY one of their prospects. They dont rush prospects like us.

Give me one good reason why Lander is not in the AHL. Would a team like Detroit put him in the NHL? No, surely we could've replaced Lander in the lineup with a veteran signing (or Brule). But Tambo knows everything apparently.

He has done a good job of proving that he is anything but competent of building a playoff team.

Avatar
#36 Chris
February 01 2012, 02:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@Matt Henderson

ZING!

Avatar
#37 Quicksilver ballet
February 01 2012, 03:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

I'm not sure Steve is taking the little nuances of the Edmonton market into consideration with his rebuild plan. If i could take a moment and visually draw a parrallel.

Steve is piloting his Oilers Hercules aircraft, his extensive rebuild plan has the cargo bay bursting at the seams. He's unaware that the landing strip available to him is only 300 yds long. He must be the only one that doesn't see the ball of flames that will insue shortly after those tires meet the runway.

He's already 2 yrs into that seven yr window he has to work with. At this current pace, his core players will start looking to go elsewhere well before this 7 yr window expires.

Avatar
#38 Quicksilver ballet
February 01 2012, 05:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
grodapare wrote:

The truth doesn't sell tickets. Hope puts asses in the seats. ST evaluated, knows what he had, elects to sing a sweet melody. Nothing wrong with the ol'positive spin. Everyone wants to hold his feet to the fire cuz this used car only gets 15 mpg instead of the advertised 18? Deal with it. His extension should silence the critics but it won't.

The coming 2 yr deal for Tambellini isn't an extension, it's just a negotiated severance package.

Avatar
#39 Sliderule
February 01 2012, 05:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

I think that Tambo has been saddled with baggage from klowe.

Renney is his man but two of the assistants are Klowes guys.One of the assistants absolutely hated Cogs and as a result we have magic beans for an NHL player.

Klowe is the problem.

Avatar
#40 Yourmomthinksimhot
February 01 2012, 10:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

He's right guys, I mean come on. The last two years we were 30th and this year we're 29th.... Any idiot can see that's a huge improvement.... What a great argument, how did we not see this?

Just think, at this rate we'll be 28th in two more years!! Ain't no stats going to prove his winning theory wrong....

Avatar
#41 Yourmomthinksimhot
February 02 2012, 08:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Simon says wrote:

If I am trolling then I am throwing anything caught here back.   You are now trying to use Minnesota to back up your pathetic argument? That was an extremely small sample size. What I am saying is that the results are what matter. The results after 50 games (not the 20 that Minnesota had a very short run at the top for) show the Oilers HAVE improved despite injuries.   So there are two teams bla bla bla bla..... Just because someone says that was a scoring chance those stats are subjective! This is what pisses me off about you yahoos using your advanced stats and metrics to back up a pathetic and feeble argument! The simple fact is that you leave your base data to be collected in an inconsistent manner! If you haven't realized that different people see things different ways (obviously you don't since you're still here!)then you have never looked at away game and said, "there is no way that team had that many shots or hits". On top of that not every scoring chance is equal! You can have two breakaways, if one player loses control of the puck and gets a very poor shot on net, it is counted EXACTLY the same as a guy who makes an incredible move and the goalie stones him! So you saying two teams bla bla bla bla is just that.... verbal diarrhea!     Now obviously you're NOT GETTING IT! So this is my last post on the matter. Take the shots that you want. The rest are free.  

Bla bla bla?? WHOA!! What a glorious way to explain your point, good job at destroying TigerUnderGlass with your cunning vocabulary and proficient stance of your argument....... Ohhhh man TigerUnderGlass you got pwned!!

Seriously dude, figure it out. Step back, read what your writing and understand that you argument is weak and getting picked apart. If you feel the way you do, then do a better job of defending your stance.

Its a lot tougher to defend Tambellini who has finished 30th place overall in consecutive years and on pace to finish 29th, then it is to exploit him for his faults.

TigerUnderGlass is right, ANY one of us can be a GM that finishes 30th overall. Anyone of use can do this, its last place, and anyone of use can have luck 1 out of three years and be on pace to finish 29th. Yes Im very confident I could manage an NHL hockey team to finish 30th overall. So from now on do a better job of explaining how he is doing a better job then anyone of us Joe Blows.

Otherwise thanks for coming out Ke$ha....

Avatar
#42 D
January 31 2012, 10:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Congrats on the goal Struds!

Avatar
#43 Oilcruzer
January 31 2012, 11:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

What time was it in Sweden when Struds posted this? 7AM. ? When did he start it then?

Solid logic. Bird in the hand with coaching GM tandem. Besides, this keeps KLowe away from the craps table.

Been a funny year. Coulda used Struds to unretire for most the year.

Avatar
#44 PaperDesigner
February 01 2012, 12:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

How does injuries justify a track record of consistent failure? Why should we excuse them on account of injuries when they have had several seasons to attempt to build in enough resistance to potential injuries and have never succeeded? The buffalo Sabres have made the playoffs several times in the past few seasons... The Edmonton Oilers have not.

Blaming injuries is the refuge of failures. And just because you preface a statement with "not that injuries are an excuse...", that does not mean your statement or question following that implies the Oilers are distinctly worse on account of injuries is not BY DEFINITION A FREAKING EXCUSE. Tambellini is an awful general manager because he has shown that he can consistently build a bottom five NHL team, despite intending not to.

Avatar
#45 Biowolf
February 01 2012, 12:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Is the captain of the Costa Concordia getting a new contract too ?

Staying the course, my eye.

Avatar
#46 Greg Stink | ESPN
February 01 2012, 01:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I agree with you, Strudwick. I know the Oilers can't really get any worse, but ask the players, I bet most of them would choose to stay with things how they are and try to get out of this together. They are getting better, and not just because they won tonight.

Avatar
#47 stevezie
February 01 2012, 04:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Struds you weren't kidding about the humidity here (Sweden); it's a sticky cold.

Avatar
#48 sizedoesmatter
February 01 2012, 05:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

When the Oilers were on there Incredible run a I heard a few smatterings from the media jumping on the bandwagon.Then the injuries started piling up and then the gloating started how they knew they(Oilers) couldn't keep it up because the goaltending was too good.They may not make the playoffs but It would be nice To finish with eighty or more points.MBSM will have to work his magic without a lottery pick

Avatar
#49 Bulging Twine
February 01 2012, 05:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Glad to hear someone raise a possible solution to the injury problem. It is a major, major concern for the future success of this franchise.

Injuries have been an issue for the Oilers for a few years now and it must be addressed/solved.

It would be very enlightening to find out how the Oilers compare with other teams on amount of rest given.

rest days/60 min lol

Avatar
#50 Jon
February 01 2012, 07:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Jason - Injuries can be an excuse, but when a GM accquires a player with a pre-exisiting foot condition...and this player misses as many games as he has because of it...how can you possibly use those injured games as an excuse to defend the gm? He knew about the risk of injury with Whitney, gambled anyways, and not only did he lose but he showed that he had no backup plan in case he lost his gamble as well.

Comments are closed for this article.