MAC DADDY IN THE BUILDING

Wanye
June 14 2012 12:42PM

It seems as though the 2009 FMNF movement has taken a crippling shot to the beans with former Head Coach Craig MacTavish returning to the Oilers as the "Senior Director of VP of the Hockey Operations and Tambellini creeping."

The heartwarming reaction from Oilers fans everywhere - jacked for the return of the guy who kept #14 warm while Jordan Eberle lifted super heavy weights as a child - can be heard all around the world.

Back in the day  it was tough times in the OilersNation. The team wasn't particularly good, having failed to make the playoffs three years in a row. The General Manager at the time - Steve Tambellini - decided that MacT had lost the room and taking quick action (one of his many strengths) he let the Coach go at the end of the 2008-09 season.

This came about 2 years after most Oilers fans had decided that the silver Fox needed to go. "Yeah he took the team to G7 of the SCF sure" went the thinking at the time, "but now he is a brutal Coach. Look at how poorly he treats The Patrick O'Sullivan. It's almost as though he is incapable of getting any production whatsoever from the staggering talent that is Jesse Boulerice."

Things got so heated that we developed a working theory that the London, Ontario native was actually a parasitic host for an Alien King during that final season. Our theories were never conclusively dismissed using The Science, but complete silence on the matter from Oilers brass led us to believe we were closer to the mark than many would have you believe,

Anywhoo, the 09 departure of MacT and the strategic introduction of Pat Quinn and Tom Renney as Co-Coaches of the team was seen by many as a win over the Boys on the Bus Regime - defiantly clinging to power despite consecutive seasons of 5th, 4th and 4th in the Northwest.

OilersNation had fully turned into a MacT Bash-A-Thon and 99% of the comments were either demanding his head on a platter or vehemently agreeing with the previous comment that MacT's head should be placed on a platter. It was all we could all talk about and the uproar got so loud that we had to coin a snazzy acronym to try and calm everyone down.

THAT WAS THEN - THIS IS NOW

The summer of 2012 is a very different place you see. The Oilers have climbed out of the basement of the NHL to the dizzying heights of 29th place. Head Coaches are no longer summarily dismissed because the GM failed to address the holes in the lineup year after year after year after year.

So welcome back Craig MacTavish. He who was the 2009 problem is most certainly the 2012 solution and your eventual replacement of Steve Tambellini will finally take the crushing load of responsibility off of the shoulders of Kevin Lowe who has had to both secretly run the team and take the GM paychecks to get signed for far too long now.

FINAL NOTE

2009 polls are hilarious.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 ubermiguel
June 14 2012, 12:49PM

YAY! It's a MS Paint masterpiece! (obligatory "fist" goes here).

#2 CaptainLander
June 14 2012, 12:50PM

Fans are fickle and Management makes mistakes but the Hindsight Blogger is never wrong.

#3 ubermiguel
June 14 2012, 12:53PM

Nation readers must have finally realized MacT was never the problem. He wasn't perfect (i.e.: handling of Penner), but he was better than others. He had a lousy team with no real leaders.

#4 Jonathan Willis
June 14 2012, 12:54PM

I think Ryan Potulny's 10 NHL games over the last two seasons justify every ounce of faith OilersNation had in him.

(Gets ready to mock Rob Schremp, realizes Rob Schremp has 63 NHL games over the last two years, crawls back under a rock.)

#6 freeze
June 14 2012, 01:08PM

It made sense at the time. I'm still happy that he isn't the coach but has the power to kick Tambo in the balls.

#7 MVParkerknox
June 14 2012, 01:10PM

Bring back Potulny and Schremp!!

#8 Archaeologuy
June 14 2012, 01:14PM

He thinks it was bad to trade plugs like Greene and Stoll for Lubo.

Turf him.

#9 Gerald R. Ford
June 14 2012, 01:14PM

I wuz feeling all warm and fuzzy, but even the most peripheral of POS references can ruin a potentially stupendous article for me. POS reference ban 4EVER!

#10 Senator Theo
June 14 2012, 01:16PM

I was in the "Promote MacTavish Now F*ckers" camp, so points to Menacer!

#11 Gitagrip
June 14 2012, 02:03PM

MacT..........waaaay better TSN analyst than Crawford. Talk about hawkee? Any POS can do that. Just ask Healy & Pierre. Mac T - new driver for the Boys on the Bus.

#12 David S
June 14 2012, 02:23PM

I really have to start screwin' around more with MS Paint. It appears there's hours of fun to be had.

Also, Wanye your articles are the only thing keeping me going over these long summers of wandering in the desert.*

*And blocking first-posters over at POLLZ. I get a sick pleasure out of that, thinking about all the smashed keyboards. Heh heh.

#13 Cody anderson
June 14 2012, 02:56PM

I was one of the people that wanted MacT to get fired. I never thought he was a bad coach, in fact quite the opposite, but it appeared he had lost the room. The effort level was inconsistent. I understand that with a really young rebuilding team, but he had a lot of vets back then.

I think MacT is a smart guy that knows hockey. I am ok with the addition, but I also think there are other smart guys out there thatdo not have the same alliance, histroy with some of our underperforming vets and Klowe. I think one of the reasons you add another body to the team is a different opinion, someone who will argue their opinion when it differs from the rest of the team. I hope MacT will, but his past relationship and loyalty is a concern. While i would have preferred fresh blood, I think his intelligence will help the current team.

#14 Milli
June 14 2012, 02:58PM

Man did I hate MacT back then, then came Quinn, then Renney, then?????????? And suddenly, I really don't blame him nearly as much!!!!! Losing is a funny thing

#15 The Towel Boy
June 14 2012, 02:59PM

Man, the comments in that old FMNF article you linked to read out like an Oilersnation hall of fame.

"Travis Dakin", "Buck75", "Ender", "TheTowelBoy"

Man.

#16 Ryan2
June 14 2012, 03:11PM

I am not a fan of the move for one simple reason - this was a chance for the Oilers to go outside of the old boys club and bring in new ideas and perspectives from a winning organization. Bringing back CrackT does not change the group think at all.

#17 Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement
June 14 2012, 03:32PM
David S wrote:

Well ya weren't too successful over at the POLLZ today now were ya Mr. S?

Side Note: How about an article on being in the same Pub as the one and only @ebs14 mr. @wanyegretz? I will agree with David that Wanye's articles are the only thing that keep me going.

#18 reaperfunkss (2nd tier fan)
June 14 2012, 04:14PM

I love the fact that a guy who has had very limited success (1 losing cup run apparently made him a legend) couldn't get a head coach job anywhere else in the NHL and severely underachieved with a World Championship is now considered a savior. He butchered most of the young players he had (Hemsky got better the year of the lockout playing in Europe)... I guess what i am trying to say is that it looks like Oiler fans are trying to replace Leaf Fans as the dumbest fans on the planet.

Are toby peterson and liam reddox coming back?

#19 smiliegirl15
June 14 2012, 04:17PM

I was happy to see MacT fired then and I am not happy to see him back now. However, I think I dislike Tambellini even more.

I will hold my judgment on MacT in his current position for now. Thank god they didn't bring him back as coach. That would have been the beginning of the apocolypse.

The current poll has no good answers.

#20 madjam
June 14 2012, 05:21PM

CLARITY AND/OR ADMISSION - THE REBUILD HAS FAILED . Their results bear out failure ! Semantics - rebuild sounds better than failure is all . Back to MacT. to try and revive it properly this time ? I think this move is an admission that Lowe and Tams have failed to deliver on rebuild . Was this a positive move to go to second stage to start over i ask ? Would have preferred MacT. take over , and name others to fill the voids left by Lowe and Tams.

#21 Clyde Frog
June 14 2012, 05:33PM

Oh Madjam... I'd vote for you for prom king!

Can you please regail us with tales of how RNH is too small and not skilled enough to be a 1st line centre?

#23 The Real Scuba Steve
June 14 2012, 06:06PM

What's next Kevin Prendergast back as Senior Manager of Scouting Performance?

#24 David S
June 14 2012, 06:11PM
The Towel Boy wrote:

"Travis Dakin", "Buck75", "Ender", "TheTowelBoy"

Man.

What the h3ll happened to Ender? He get married or something?

#SadOmarkFace

#25 Archaeologuy
June 14 2012, 06:24PM
David S wrote:

What the h3ll happened to Ender? He get married or something?

#SadOmarkFace

Is it sad that I also find myself wondering what ever happened to a commentor on a hockey blog?

#26 a lg dubl dubl
June 14 2012, 07:20PM

Wanye, good sir, you forgot lolly-pops in your picture....WTF!!!?

#27 rubbertrout
June 14 2012, 09:05PM

Maybe Katz was seeing the future when he texted Stauffer and said "Mac-T isn't going anywhere".

#28 rubbertrout
June 14 2012, 09:06PM
David S wrote:

What the h3ll happened to Ender? He get married or something?

#SadOmarkFace

I expect he'll be back for the next photoshop contest.

*crawls back under rock

#29 Oilcruzer
June 14 2012, 11:43PM

Thoresen.

#30 @Oilanderp
June 15 2012, 01:10AM

The alien-king inside MacT will lead us to Stanley.

BMTB.

#31 pelhem grenville
June 15 2012, 06:25AM

alain vignault...even after narrowly escaping the executioner was retained by the Canucks...it's why MacT is here instead of the wet coast...to replace our GM... sooner rather than later...I'd wager by the beginning of training camp...I thought that MacT was brilliant through the '06 run and he really became victimized by our GM and his very own brand of absolute incompetence...plus the rakes' exit...ST is on his way out imo and there will never be a time when this franchise wins another Cup and some feckless opportunistic wag says the team has ST's fingerprints all over it ala Dale Tallon and the Hawks Cup win did...i also wonder where the Ender ended up...

#33 Archaeologuy
June 15 2012, 09:38AM

@Wanye

I typed Ender and Oilers into the Google machine and it pulled up an article from almost a year ago.

Has it been that long? Is he OK?

Should we hold a memorial service?

#34 pelhem grenville
June 15 2012, 01:02PM

there's little else we or you can do Wanye...

put up the `Ender Beacon` in the night sky...

he`ll find his cape ...and he will come

#35 Dextermorgan
June 15 2012, 03:44PM

Where the god damn is Ryan Smyth's contract?!!??

#36 BUCK75
June 16 2012, 03:08AM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Has it been that long? Is he OK?

Should we hold a memorial service?

as MUCH as I would like on held in my honor, it probably not as your bioware imaginition has simulated..... ender enters the battlefield....wipes sweat with a #3 Al Hamiltion golf towel & loads his shot gun.....

If only life was THAT interesting.

*smoke bomb*, closes trunk on '88 topaz...~

#37 VK63
June 16 2012, 12:10PM

I am secure in my belief that the madness that IS Katz fanboy on the bus infatuation is nothing more than a front for all the booze companies he must own through an offshore entity.

"MacTs not going anywhere"............. for long.

This destiny was already written...we just didnt pick up on the code. The dark knight strikes again.

FWIW..... I do enjoy the dichotomy that is Oiler fan and alcoholic indulgence. Celebrate the (rare) wins in Wanyeesque fashion (epic) and mute the (frequent) sorrows in wanyeesque fashion (epic).

Alls well in Etown!