LFR6 - Game 7 - Frat Out Clutch

Steve Dangle
January 31 2013 11:02PM

No goals from Kessel? No problem!

Twitter/Facebook
Reimer/Scrivens Blog: http://bit.ly/WimH1G
TLN Post Game Recap: http://bit.ly/WiOkaW
Phil Kessel's Struggles: http://bit.ly/Tjb8aa

6b6884e175cda86e6828bab0537236ad
#1 James f
January 31 2013, 11:16PM

I think that Randy should try Jvr with kessel just to see how it works. Maybe the screens could help him.

#2 Braison
January 31 2013, 11:20PM

Best LFR this season!! Lol in all seriousness though, I feel Kostka's role is a little much, considering he's only played 7 games. People are pointing out he's on the ice for most of the goals against, but then again, he's also on the ice all the time. So naturally if you're on more, you're on for more goals. But he did have the shot that turned into the Kulemin goal and I don't think he's playing all that bad, but 7 games in look at how much he's used I'm skeptical as well. But don't forget Carlysle saying it's the coaches responsibility to manage his ice time, and they need to take responsibility for overplaying him. One thing I've notices though, offensively, he always dishes the puck to Phaneuf. He should try shooting more or look for more outlets. But we'll see. As far as Kessel goes, I think he's playing really well, he's just getting stoned, and not catching breaks. He got an assist tonight, so kudos to him :)

#3 Braison
January 31 2013, 11:21PM

#4 tntleaf
January 31 2013, 11:44PM

Why do bandwagoner leaf fan slam Kostka, Bozak, Orr and Brown who are playing well for their given role and yet defend Kessel and Phaneuf to the end even when they are at fault.

#5 Pritch68
February 01 2013, 07:15AM

Ok, about Kostka.

I watched 3 Marlies games before Christmas, and I came away from each one thinking Kostka was the best offensive defenceman on the ice.

Now, he's up with the Leafs, and I see him demonstrating the same offensive value for the big club. Makes smart, accurate passes, and knows when to be aggressive on the offensive blueline. He's very composed with the puck - very rarely turns it over, and almost always makes the best play available.

Defensively, he's not great. Small, not terribly mobile - those are big impediments. But he isn't horrible.

Yet all I hear is people complaining that he's "an AHL'er" (like no one good has ever played in the AHL), that he's "getting too much ice", etc. Look - he's making good breakout passes, helping maintain pressure in the o-zone, and last night he contributed directly to two Leaf goals.

I would say that these criticisms are frustrating, but they aren't really. Because I know at least one other person is as impressed with Kostka as I am: Randy Carlyle.

#6 Joel
February 01 2013, 09:23AM

@James f

Ummmmm.... He is playing with Kessel.

#7 James f
February 01 2013, 02:01PM
Joel wrote:

Ummmmm.... He is playing with Kessel.

Yeah sorry I meant kadri

#8 goodoldcanadianboy
February 01 2013, 03:05PM

Well Kostka isn't playing horrible, in the many years of watching this team I have seen much worse. Don't think he should be playing 20+ minutes though.