NATION NETWORK AGREES TO PURCHASE DAILYFACEOFF.COM

Brian Sutherby
October 01 2013 10:55AM

The Nation Network is proud to officially announce an agreement to purchase DailyFaceoff.com, a leading fantasy hockey resource. Network traffic is expected to double to 30 million visitors and 75 million page views annually in the next 12 months as result.

DailyFaceoff.com has established itself as the premier resource for up-to-the-minute gameday fantasy hockey news featuring starting goaliesline combinations, and player news and injury reports. Nice to know if you are in a hockey pool, playing StreakCred or anything of the sort.

These guys are the best in the business and we are happy to have them on the team going forward.

NEXT LEVEL

We want to take hockey to new heights of fantasy gaming and if anyone is going to spice up the Fantasy Hockey world its Wanye. I asked him for a quote on this big day and this is what he came back with.

“We intend on being the leaders in fantasy hockey because no one has more fantasies about hockey than me. Now that we have doubled in size and have more plans on the horizon the Nation Network is bigger than Jessica Simpson circa 2013.”

Thanks for the mature quote Wanye.

FANTASY GAMING

As I’ve mentioned in a previous article I am a huge fantasy sports fan. The best thing about being retired is that now I get to engage in fantasy hockey. Instead of just being a couch potato on Sundays, now I get to do it 6 or 7 nights a week. What’s better than that?

Fantasy Football has absolutely exploded in the last 5 years or so, much to my wife’s displeasure. Fantasy hockey isn’t quite where the NFL and MLB are yet with their fantasy gaming but we here at the Nation intend to fix that.

DAILY FACEOFF

Everyone out there is looking for the site that provides the most information possible so that you can kick the crap out of all your friends while believing that you’re an NHL GM and it is absolutely real.

With this acquisition we hope to bring more to fantasy hockey. We are gathering the best resources we can, developing advanced stats and adding them all under the Nation banner.

Wanye tells me that along with all the great stuff you already get on DailyFaceoff.com you will see more articles with podcasts and video content. The plan is to build more games and integrate all of this with NHLnumbers to provide leading advanced analytics in the seasons to come - all in one place.

“This gives the Nation Network a bigger reach in the East. We now have a larger audience in Ontario than Alberta for the first time ever and as a Network that started in a bottle depot in Edmonton that is impressive.”

“We are committed to building the Nation Network into a leading Hockey Media company. Journalism jobs are rarer than Rick DiPietro shutouts and we want to do our help to promote the game we love so much.”

Like an Oscar speech we would like to thank everyone involved. Thank you to the old DailyFaceoff owners for trusting us with taking care of their baby going forward. A big thanks to Matt Bennett for staying on with the site and providing his insights going forward for the entire network. A big thank you to Kent Wilson for all his diligent work sniffing out this deal and building a trust bridge that ultimately got it done.

Most importantly thank you to all the Nation Citizens for continuing to read our daily drivel. We truly appreciate your patronage and look forward to continue to improve and evolve the Nation Network for years to come.

C76a4c69c9026575581a01d4ac34111c
A Moose Jaw Warriors alumnus and veteran of 460 NHL games with the Capitals, Ducks and Stars—Sutherby is here to regale us with tales of the WJHC, life as an NHL player and much more from a Pro’s perspective. Co-Host's the Jason Gregor show on TSN1260 on Tuesday's from 3-5 and Coaches at www.proconnectionhockey.com Twitter:@briansutherby
#1 Kent Wilson
October 01 2013, 11:24AM

Thanks everyone.

I'm personally thrilled with the deal. It's been in the works for longer than I care to share, but glad we could get 'er done.

#2 Puritania
October 01 2013, 11:19AM

Not bad for a bunch of guys sitting in their mom's basements. :P

#3 Ryan Pike
October 01 2013, 02:17PM

I'm still not convinced that Wanye actually is real.

#4 Wanye
October 01 2013, 02:45PM
Ryan Pike wrote:

I'm still not convinced that Wanye actually is real.

ME EITHER

*moons everyone*

#5 Senator Theo
October 01 2013, 11:08AM

Will we be able to comment on polls over there?

#6 Ryan Pike
October 01 2013, 12:07PM

Despite his obvious oversights and lapses in judgment, such as acquiring me as a writer, Kent seems to know what he's doing. It's fabulous to see the Nations Network grow and thrive.

#7 Garett
October 01 2013, 11:00AM

Terrific news! I've used that site for the last couple years!

#8 The Towel Boy
October 01 2013, 11:04AM

Well, there goes my SECRET WEAPON to Unlimited Oodle Noodle.

#9 tileguy
October 01 2013, 11:44AM

here in Canada it is a hockey pool!

#10 baleener
October 01 2013, 11:46AM

Please, please, pretty please start up a Salary Cap based hockey pool a la The Sporting News (circa like 5 years ago) and Smallworld before that. It was an amazing pool format and nobody else is doing it for hockey!!

#11 Supernova
October 01 2013, 01:16PM

Brian Sutherby,

a little confused by your relationship with the Nation.

it seems you are quite a bit more involved than just writing the occasional article.

Care to elaborate at all?

I wish the Nation all the best in all their business ventures. It seems the site is like the little engine that could.

Starting as a Oilers blog, and buying up half the hockey internet world is quite a success story.

#12 Citizen Alpha
October 01 2013, 02:23PM
Ryan Pike wrote:

I'm still not convinced that Wanye actually is real.

It's complicated.

#13 Oilfan
October 01 2013, 02:59PM

Hey I actually use that website! Its the only I know of that reliably posts starting goaltenders every night! I am impressed. That site is very useful good buy.

#14 Austin Wallace
October 01 2013, 11:43AM

Congrats! As a writer for Dobberhockey, and a previous writer for Canucks Army... I am a bit torn! Ultimately, Dobber Hockey is the current leader (by far) in terms of quality fantasy hockey content and I look forward to seeing how you push the envelope.

#15 Mikey
October 01 2013, 11:55AM

I can feel it coming. Nation Fantasy Hockey.

#16 Mikey
October 01 2013, 12:07PM

If you do Fantasy Hockey, have it tied to your profile. Or a Web Sim Hockey variation would be cool too.

#17 Bill Rizer
October 01 2013, 12:11PM

@baleener

I miss Smallworld. ESPN (rebranded to TSN) has a salary cap challenge format (Hockey Challenge) that is very similar to the old Smallworld one.

#18 Austin Wallace
October 01 2013, 01:18PM

@Baleener @Bill Rizer

This is a more authentic "small world": Dobbernomics.com

You win either by having the most points, or by having the highest value team.

#19 Kent Wilson
October 01 2013, 01:32PM

@Supernova

Brian has been pulling the strings since day 1. Wanye, Gregor, JW, Brownlee, Drance, myself etc. We're all just pseudonyms or puppets dancing to his tune.

#20 book¡e
October 01 2013, 02:26PM
Supernova wrote:

Brian Sutherby,

a little confused by your relationship with the Nation.

Care to elaborate at all?

Yeah, I thought you were just the token post game former player to give the site some credibility.

Did you buy the Nation or Oodle Noodle or something?

#21 Kent Wilson
October 01 2013, 02:36PM
book¡e wrote:

Did you buy the Nation or Oodle Noodle or something?

You were wrrroooonnnngggg

#22 rubbertrout
October 01 2013, 03:53PM
Ryan Pike wrote:

I'm still not convinced that Wanye actually is real.

He's real, and he's spectacular.

#23 rubbertrout
October 01 2013, 03:54PM

Too bad we just found out about this now. My fantasy league has already committed to a rival site.

Next year though it will be an INTERNET FIGHT TO THE DEATH.

#24 Rustyknuckles
October 01 2013, 05:03PM

30 millions visitors! yikes and congratulations, if you need a fantasy commisioner I am your man, Also Keeper pools please!!

#25 loudogYYC
October 02 2013, 11:26AM

This is awesome! I love where this site is going. None of my hockey buddies believes much in advanced stats but I'm sure that will change once it all ties into fantasy leagues.

Congrats Kent and Nation!

#26 Carlo
October 02 2013, 11:31PM

We use this site strickly for our league. Same salary cap as the NHL with these number. Keeper/Dynasty league. 21 man roster. Just wanted to say thanks and keep up the good work. And congrats!

#27 Bezer
October 01 2013, 11:06AM

Big things are indeed poppin'

Congrats

#28 Johnny Be Gaudreau
October 01 2013, 11:27AM

Congrats!!

#29 vetinari
October 01 2013, 12:18PM

First, DailyFaceoff.com... and then Google!!!!

Congratulations guys and let the season begin!

#30 Harlie