LFR7 - Game 3 - SpinoRAYma - Ott 4, Tor 5 (SO)

Steve Dangle
October 06 2013 12:48AM

A special COTTAGE EDITION of LFR!!!

I can't help but swoon over Mason Raymond and Dave Bolland. Hey, aren't the Leafs great? Oh, and Bernier.

6b6884e175cda86e6828bab0537236ad
#1 Greg
October 06 2013, 01:05AM

The leafs do "feel" different. Notice Bolland and JVR trying cool dangles and through the legs moves. This is something new to me.

#2 i_miss_mogilny
October 06 2013, 02:10AM

I think they can score in bunches, every D man that played today (minus Gunny) can create offence, so the feeling is, "...hey we're down, but not out.." The top line didn't wake up until the 3rd and we dominated in OT. The boys can all skate, and to agree with Greg, the reins seem to be off on cheek, Ranger's penalty shot in pre-S, JVR in general, Kessel's defensive puck hold/speed change on the JVR goal. Either way the games are entertaining to say the least.

#3 i_miss_mogilny
October 06 2013, 02:10AM

#4 whichonespink
October 06 2013, 05:31AM

Steve, for me it started last year. For so many,many years before I had been conditioned to witness bad things happen to my Leafs. I'd see a player or two get trapped and an odd man rush would start ho head our way. I watch on TV so it's hard to see everything that is happening. Sometimes it was obvious like a breakaway or a two on one but often I could see the goal happening in my minds eye and sure enough, the other team would score. I no longer think that way as now I assume the shot will be saved. That is all thanks to Reimer. He has reconditioned my mind to think the puck will not go in, and most of the time, I'm correct. All hail Reimer.

#5 Leafers4life
October 06 2013, 07:20AM

I do agree they feel different. How many times have you seen them rally for their goalie and each other to come back two goals and win in shootout? or better yet how many times have we seen that happen to us? Its kinda nice being on the other side of that. Same with the philly game, one player steps up team rallies with goalie and we win.

This year is different folks

#6 Leafers4life
October 06 2013, 07:22AM

Also Steve, yes the bruins, wings, sens, and habs are good teams but that doesnt mean we cant beat them occasionally to gain ground. Just look at the playoffs last year, Its a different team that can squeak out wins like this

#7 Chase
October 06 2013, 11:02AM

This team does feel different. I noticed it half way through the season last year. If Toronto gets down by two, I don't feel panicked that they cannot comeback. I have confidence in both goaltenders to get the job done and they way the offence can produce almost at will.

I was impressed with the way Morgan Rielly played. Yes on the stats sheet it did not look all that impressive, but he showed me what I saw when I witnessed him play a game back in 2008 in Saskatchewan playing for the Notre Dame Hounds AAA team. He utilized his speed, his ability to handle the puck, and his vision and patience. And he came close to scoring the OT winner which would have blown the roof off the ACC.

#8 Matt
October 06 2013, 11:05AM

Raymond was pretty good for Vancouver every season but 2011-2012 (when he came back from the broken back). The problem in Van was that he put up a 25-goal, 50-point season when he was 23 or 24 and Vancouver fans expected him to just keep going up (or at least to do it again). It's a real shame he wasn't resigned in Vancouver - I think he'd do well under Tortorella.

As for realistic expectations for the year? He's fast, defensively-solid, and he's a lock to score 15 goals and ~35-40 points if he stays healthy. For $3 million, not the best value, but at a million bucks he's a steal.