LFR7 - Game 36 - Don't know what you've got - Fla 3, Tor 1

Steve Dangle
December 18 2013 03:12PM

'Til it's gone.

LINKS

Reimer's Postgame
Is Dave Bolland's injury really hurting the Leafs that badly?
Post Game

6b6884e175cda86e6828bab0537236ad
#1 leafer2013
December 18 2013, 05:51PM

After this game it should be clear that Phaneuf is the source with the leafs shot differential problem.

Read Burtch's study on SDI as it has some great insight on who are best shutdown defenders in the NHL and Phaneuf is just not that good. Gunnar and Franson are the leafs best shutdown defenders and Phaneuf tries but is completely misused in his role as a shutdown defender. Gunnar is the masking a lot of Phaneuf's mistake and making Phaneuf appearing as an effective shutdown dman.

Check it out http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2013/7/30/4570108/sdi-v2-1-shut-down-index-2012-13-part-2

#2 Andrew Frankow
December 18 2013, 03:51PM

When the Leafs got Bernier, all my Blue and White brothers were stoked. Except for myself and one other who LOVE Optimus. Reimer has heart and nothing but determination when he throws on the blue and white. And last season was solid proof he deserved to be the goalie we needed as a club moving into the future. It has become very clear this season poor James has been shuffled off for the new tender from L.A. And this breaks my heart. How can he be expected to play the way he did last season when you are no longer the "Go to" guy. The evidence is clear, the entire team plays with a lot less grit when he is in the cage. I for one feel awful for him. He deserves better after the blood and sweat he shed for this organization (and as you mentioned, for a steal price tag wise) I still feel he is the keeper Leafs Nation needs. Toronto Maple Leafs fans, owners and head officehave short memories... "HEY WE MADE THE PLAYOFFS!" "HEY WE PUSHED FOR GAME SEVEN!" ... "Screw it, lets replace James Reimer."

Morons.

#3 Kevin Deeth
December 18 2013, 03:34PM

It's hard to be excited about this team. I was more excited in the Brent, Mac and the USSR, Reimer emergence period than this. Leafs can't even be criticized as a bad team based on their roster.

Back then, we knew they were bad, but they were winning games they shouldn't and losing games they should win. At that point, you make key changes in the roster to fill holes.

Right now, the roster isn't bad, it's a roster of losers though. When that is the case, it's systematic, it's not one player, one position, one problem. You need to start over. Upper management won't go anywhere so you start with the coaching staff. All of it. If an assistant coach was brought in as a friend or colleague, cut them.

Randy Carlyle isn't a super high in demand coach that the Leafs are lucky to have, he was just the guy with a ring and a resume. He's the safest move to make the most drastic change. Upside they are a better team, downside they keep sliding. I'll be mad as a fan if Nonis is waiting for a Sochi break miracle.

Are we all Florida fans yet? The undercats with hope?

#4 Willbur
December 18 2013, 03:47PM

Yep, your right its time for Riemer to go. I think we as Leaf fans will rue the day he does get traded but I think its just a fact that management wants Bernier to be the guy.

Like you I don't dislike Bernier, nor do I think he is playing bad. I just don't think he is better than Riemer. Something needs to change with the Leafs soon and a I think at least one major player other than Riemer needs to be traded just to shake things up with the core. Plus at about the same time as Riemer is traded, show Carlyle to the street corner. Fix this thing before the season is derailed.

#5 Jeremy Ian
December 18 2013, 04:50PM

I don't want to see Reimer traded until there's a different plan. Sometimes, a team's fix comes from finding a missing part. I don't think that's the situation here.

There's a phenomenon called "escalation of commitment." It's what happens when organizations have banked on a strategy or investments and stay latched onto them for too long. Take investor behaviour when you increase your holdings in assets based on prior cumulative investments. You are literally invested in an outcome. But what happens when the evidence that the cost today outweighs future predictable benefits? You can cut bait. Or you can escalate your commitment. Sometimes people call it a "commitment bias." People are very vulnerable to this propensity.

It's what explains the debacle of the Vietnam War, gambling, unfortunate day-traders who believe in their earlier decisions...

The Leafs are in danger of escalating their commitment to a strategy who's evidence does not favor future expected returns. It is not working.

Here's the temptation. There comes a point at which in the effort to make the managers (or investors) feel like their strategy will work that they start throwing good money after bad in order to right their organization. That's Reimer. Good money. Scarce money. But before you throw him away, be sure that that return on what he fetches is higher than the cost. Or you've lost the last chip you've got.

Agreed on Holland....

You know what? The Leafs have great assets, aka players. Even with their injuries, the Leafs can put a team on the ice that many in the NHL would envy.

It's what you do with your assets that matters. Nonis's job is to bring in the assets. He's done his part. The Holland trade is an example.

If I am Nonis, the strategically-minded manager, I am thinking hard about firing Carlyle. I am not sure when because if you don't have a viable backup plan it can be a real mess. But once I have a way out of my old commitments, I know what I will do...

#6 Zach
December 18 2013, 10:23PM

I feel bad for Reimer every game he plays. He's the MVP of last season & like you said, gets played on the 2nd night of back-to-backs. Trade him, get some good players back, & bring MacIntyre up.

As for Leafer2013, Phaneuf isn't the problem, just saying. Coaching is the problem, it's time we get some good coaching who knows that this team isn't built for a defensive style. It's built for a rush style. Why not pull the plug on Randy Carlyle right now, plenty of coaches are waiting for a job?

Paul Maurice is a good coach, I know he's already had his chance with the Leafs & was let go, but why not give him another shot, or even better, Peter Laviolette. Now we're talking.

#7 Wetcoaster
December 19 2013, 12:47AM

You'd think that Nonis has seen enough from the Canucks in the last two years to learn to avoid a goalie controversy, not court one.

@Steve: The term you're looking for is 'opportunity cost' - that the true cost of a decision is the value of the next best alternative that's been given up - and building a strong cap team is all about making the right trade-offs