LFR6 - Game 14 - Rocky in Raleigh

Steve Dangle
February 15 2013 12:24PM

One of the Leafs' worst performances so far. Some questions, and believe it or not, some positives.

Post game blog: http://bit.ly/XKD3Qx
Steve's Twitter / Steve's Facebook

6b6884e175cda86e6828bab0537236ad
#1 Brandon
February 15 2013, 02:41PM

I think one of the most under-rated trades was getting J.S Giguere for Vesa Toskala and Jason Blake. Getting a veteran goalie in return for two players that were criticized night in and night out and getting rid of Blake's contrat was a big win for Burke.

#2 Iain Thomas
February 15 2013, 07:41PM

Francois Beaucheamin for Joffrey Lupul and Jake Gardiner

#3 Ben
February 15 2013, 08:26PM

I don't have an answer to a specific trade, but did anyone notice that the Leafs this season seem relatively... truculent?

Every time they're putting in the big hits and fighting I go 'huh... who wanted that again?'

#4 kobegeee
February 15 2013, 09:37PM

I think that Burke's most underrated move is that he somehow managed to get 2 decent players for a practice pylon (Lebda)and Robert Slaney who's name speaks for itself. We got back Mathew Lombardi, who wasn't the greatest, but was still better than Lebda and Slaneys' play combined. Also, we got Cody Franson, who's play this year has impressed me alot, and is finally showing the upside that I've seen in him since he arrived. Of all Burkie's moves, I think this one gets lost in the mix.

#5 Craig Skochinski
February 16 2013, 12:22AM

The correct answer is: The Kessel trade, simply because it gets hammered so much, and is not nearly as bad as the media/less educated fans like to make it out to be.

This does not mean I think it's a "win" for Burkie.

From a more positive standpoint though, I'd go with the Franson trade, in which he gives up nothing (Lebda) except salary cap space -which is now buried- and gets a capable NHL defensemen, with an underrated point shot, and decent offensive ability.

#6 Naccs
February 16 2013, 12:53AM

Ya I believe there is an underrated bad trade that Burke pulled off and that's the Aulie for Ashton trade. I see why Aulie was traded, I do, but I think they could've waited and reasseed how good Aulie is. Aulie is probably a better d man then lets say scheen, even though I love Luke, is.

The best trade, okay yes it's kinda talked about a decent amount but the best is the lebda for franson and Lombardi trade for sure! I like franson as a player and I think he could develop into a nice top 4 d man and for lebda, a depth d man, at best, this is still probably the most underrated trade.

#7 leaferfan
February 16 2013, 08:10AM

Grabovski was the best trade. Sure it was done by senile fletcher but it tried to address the gap of skilled centers on the team. He was on a good path but Burke was fascinated by wingers during his tenure