GDB 40.0: STAYING IN THE RACE

Jason Gregor
April 10 2013 01:11PM

At the start of the season the Oilers' goal was to be in the playoff hunt, and they are, but they need to win tonight to stay near the pack. So far, the Oilers are 0-3 in this stretch drive, and I suspect the players will be hungry to show they can win a meaningful game, not just play in them.

The first goal will be crucial tonight.

The Coyotes have been shut out in five of their last nine road games. Even Wanye doesn't get blanked that much during his final tour of the bar at two in the morning.

Lately both the Coyotes and Oilers are getting outshot. The Oilers have been outshot 256-202 in their last eight games, but they are 5-3. The Coyotes have been outshot 285-231, but they are 4-2-2. Neither trend will last, and the Oilers must take advantage of a team that lacks any serious offensive punch.

Prior to their loss in Vancouver on Monday the Coyotes had won three straight, with three different goalies registering the win. Mike Smith blanked Colorado 4-0 on Saturday, Chad Johnson beat Detroit 4-2 last Thursday and Jason LaBarbera made 39 saves to beat the Kings 3-1 on April 2nd.

Smith will get the start tonight, but due to injuries he has yet to find the consistency he had last year when he led the Coyotes to the conference final. The Oilers need to get after Smith and the Coyotes.

LINEUP

Hall/Nugent-Hopkins/Eberle

Paajarvi/Gagner/Hemsky

Smyth/Horcoff/Yakupov

Brown/Smithson/Petrell

Smid/Petry

N.Schultz/J.Schultz

Whitney/Fistric

Dubnyk

Ales Hemsky's foot is good enough to play, so he'll draw back in and Jones will sit. Dubnyk is 5th in SV% amongst goalies with at least 20 starts and he'll start his 32 game, good for 9th most in the NHL.

QUICK HITS

• You wonder how much the uncertainty of their future impacts the Coyotes? Dave Tippett doesn't have a contract extension, and even though Gary Bettman says, "There is more interest than ever in purchasing the Coyotes," I won't believe it until a deal is done. That uncertainty has to wear a guy down eventually, no?

• Dubnyk and Khabibulin each have a .923 SV%. The team SV% is .918 due to empty net goals and Yann Danis' 110 minutes of .881SV%. The only teams with a better SV% than the Oilers are: Ottawa, .934, Boston, .926, Chicago .922 and the Rangers with .920. Those who believe goaltending is one of the Oilers' main issues need to realize that isn't the case. Goaltending isn't the problem in Edmonton.

• The Oilers will re-evaluate Eric Belanger tomorrow and if he is healthy enough to play then Anton Lander will be sent to OKC. I doubt Belanger draws in for Smithson, but the Oilers want to have a centre around in case of emergency.

• Justin Schultz is a lock to make the all-rookie team, but he will need an excellent final 9 games to be a finalist for the Calder I suspect. In a short season, nine games is almost 19% of the season so how he finishes will play a big role in voting.

• The Oilers outshot the Ducks 11-2 in the first 11:49 on Monday, but then the Ducks had 17 consecutive shots. The Oilers next shot didn't come until 4:55 into the 2nd. They went 13+ minutes without a shot, and gave up 17. The Ducks did have two powerplays during that time, but the Oilers can't afford unproductive stretches like that if they plan on beating top teams.

DO YOU HAVE THE CHOPS?

Are you good at karaoke? We will find out who is the best on May 17th. Submit a short video of you skills and the top-12 will perform May 17th at On The Rocks. Send video to gregor@theteam1260.com. The top-12 will compete with a few special "celebrity" guests. It will a be a great night, and the winner will also perform on stage with the band after being crowned King or Queen of Karaoke. No ballads allowed.  Tickets will go on sale tomorrow for this  charity event.

TONIGHT....

GAME DAY PREDICTION: Both teams are desperate for a win, and instead of playing it safe they play run and gun to the delight of the crowd. Oilers win 5-4.

OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: With last change Krueger will get even better matchups for the 4/93/14 combo and they will combine for three goals. Hall picks up three points to move into a tie for 6th place in NHL scoring.

NOT-SO-OBVIOUS GAME DAY PREDICTION: After nailing two NSOGDP (Flames quote and Nick Schultz goal) on the four game road trip, it will be difficult to accurately predict the unexpected...However....

After watching N. Schultz light up the Ducks on Monday Ryan Smyth is inspired. Smyth hasn't scored in 23 games, the 2nd longest goal-scoring drought in his career -- he went 25-games between Oct 20th-Dec 15th, 1998--, but he ends that tonight. Smyth has more points vs. Phoenix than any other franchise, 59, and he picks up his 60th point and 26th goal vs. Phoenix. It will be a patented wrap around.

RECENTLY BY JASON GREGOR

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 Mike Krushelnyski
April 11 2013, 12:18AM

Lol Dubnyk bashing.

We get 3 goals in 4 games and our goalie can't turn that into any wins? What a bum!

#2 DSF
April 11 2013, 11:07AM

Just wanted to point out that there is a discussion over at Lowetide about raising funds to take out a full page ad in an Edmonton newspaper which would be an open letter to Katz about changing management of the team.

#3 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
April 10 2013, 01:12PM

FIST!

Edit: Dubnyk is always good for a softy despite his excellent SV%. And that to me is a problem. I don't care where it ranks on the Oilers' totem pole of problems.

Also, Ochocinco is a multi-sport athlete?? Crazy!

#4 Ducey
April 10 2013, 01:32PM
Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy! wrote:

FIST!

Also, Ochocinco is a multi-sport athlete?? Crazy!

Sorry, but this is one of the dumbest things I have read in a while. You would prefer if he stops the "soft" ones but lets in the hard ones?

He stops the 5th highest percentage of shots in the league. That's all there is to it.

I think the Coyotes will trap and clutch and grab and the Oilers will play right into it by turning over the puck in the neutral zone. The fans will be frustrated and boo and that will cause more turnovers.

4-2 PHX.

#5 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
April 11 2013, 12:00AM
drdoogie16 wrote:

Hey Gregor, nice writeup you chump. Good old Oil starting the slide back down the standings yet again. You people must be all unintelligent like with you following that there hockey team likes you do. Why don't you find a playoff contender to cheer for - like Columbus ?? Isles ?? Jets ?? Boy you know you suck when those teams got a leg up on ya. GO OIL GO - Yee haw!!

"You people must be all unintelligent like with you following that there hockey team likes you do"....now that's funny.....

Reminds me of story my cousin told me...he is a principle at a rural school..one day he had to write a letter to a kids parents because the kid was coming to school with a strong smell of BO (body odour)....a week or so later he got a return letter from the parents stating, and I quote.."We pays ya to learn em not to smell em."

#6 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
April 10 2013, 02:27PM

@book¡e

Hey, hey, I got one, I got one.....remember that UFO looking puck in Detroit. That one from center ice. Man that puck had some monkey junk wing thing going on there. Not many mortals could've stopped that howitzer. Wow, that was one mammary that stands out for me in that 2013 season. What I wouldn't have given to be there for that!

am I doing it right?

#7 Mark-LW
April 10 2013, 03:08PM
Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy! wrote:

Awesome.

I love when people think they're smarter than you. That's a sign of immaturity, if not stupidity.

Fact: I've played organized hockey since 8 years of age. I'm 31 now. Still play beer league.

Fact: I graduated from U of A with an Engineering degree. I've learned something about logical thinking along the way.

Logic my d*ck.

You realize that most people here are in the same situation you are but with varying degree disciplines right?Saying you've played hockey all your life doesn't exactly differentiate yourself from a crowd of Canadian men.

I've played hockey my entire life as well and i think you're stance on Dubynk is crazy

EDIT: I have actually been playing hockey since I was 6, so by your reasoning my opinion on hockey means more than yours

#8 Unhealthy scratch
April 10 2013, 03:56PM

If a soft goal deflates the team, why didn't Anaheim fold after Schultz threw that frisbee into the net on Monday from the left hashmarks?

DD's save percentage puts him in the top half of the league's starters. His team doesn't score enough goals, and doesn't prevent enough shots. So they lose, despite his contribution.

If you don't understand the problem you are no better than Tambellini. That's all we need, misguided encouragement for ST to downgrad the goaltending like he has every other position.

Identify the real problem, don't fix what isn't broken.

#9 Johe
April 10 2013, 04:10PM

The Oil need to win tonight. If for no other reason than to cheer up this comments section! C'mon everyone! Be happy, dammit! :)

#10 Oilcan
April 10 2013, 04:45PM

This Dubnyk debate is entertaining. Yes he lets in the odd softy what goalie doesn't? Dubnyk has been very consistent this year (every goalie in the NHL has bad games), Dubnyk is a #1 goalie in the NHL and its not even a debate anymore, add in the defence that is playing in front of him and what he has done this year is even more amazing. Put him on the Canucks and I bet he puts up better numbers then Schneider.

To sum up the "but he allows soft goals so he isn't a #1 goalie in the NHL" if my goalie makes 40 saves a night but allows one from the other end of the rink as the only goal he allows I could care less because my team should be able to score at least 2 goals.

#11 wiseguy
April 10 2013, 06:27PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

If Oilers had Toews, they wouldn't have Hall, RNH, Yakupov or Eberle (part of Pronger deal)...

The Oilers would also likely have gone off the board and chosen some else other than Toews.

#12 Lochenzo
April 10 2013, 09:08PM

So I guess the Oilers are losing because of Dubnyk and not because they've scored a total of 2 goals in 3 games plus one period.

#13 steelymac
April 10 2013, 09:56PM

Somewhere in the building Dithers has been pre-occupied and missed most the game BUT has come to an important conclusion.There are actualy 22 pieces in a pack of nibs.

#14 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
April 10 2013, 11:03PM
Jakethesnake wrote:

Say what you want the goalie is a problem. All day on the radio and on tv all you hear is how great he is Bull this guy sucks and this team goes no where with him as the goalie

I know we're not supposed to get personal but....your an idiot....

#15 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
April 10 2013, 11:06PM
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

I know we're not supposed to get personal but....your an idiot....

Let me take that back....I'm sure you're not an idiot....but your comment was idiotic....

#16 TDSM31
April 11 2013, 12:08AM
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

"if you've watched any amount of hockey in your life"....really??.....Which one are you in the picture? The big guy or the little kid?

Does it matter? The little kid would still know more about hockey than you.

#17 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
April 11 2013, 01:06AM

Good to see Hall and Yakupov dishing out some punishment. Hacking and whacking their way to earning a little more space out there. Both willing to issue the first blow without regard for what may come back the other way. A small subtle sign these kids are more willing to go to war together.

It starts with sticking up for themselves, their teammates seeing that can't help but follow their lead. In a yr or two, Taylor Hall will be one nasty prick to go up against. Good to see him getting his timing down pat when it starts getting chippy. Be nice to have a chippy SOB on the blueline as well. Edmonton could sure use a Bieksa type.

#18 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
April 10 2013, 01:32PM

Coyotes come into Rexall and out hit, outwork and outscore the Oilers. 4-1 for Doans deciples.

From the committee for yet another top 5 pick.

#19 Walter Sobchak
April 10 2013, 01:42PM
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

From the committee for yet another top 5 pick.

As a committee member I second the motion.

#20 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
April 10 2013, 01:45PM
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

From the committee for yet another top 5 pick.

I'm not much of a bird guy, but the occasional flock of home-crowd boo birds is always a pretty sight.

#21 Bucknuck
April 10 2013, 01:47PM
Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy! wrote:

No. You misunderstood. I prefer he stops ALL OF THEM.

But if I had to choose, I'd start with the easy ones.

Did you watch the Anaheim game? Those weren't easy shots. I don't know if it would have been physically possible to stop them. I haven't seen him let in a softie for a while.

#22 Clarko
April 10 2013, 01:53PM
Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy! wrote:

FIST!

Also, Ochocinco is a multi-sport athlete?? Crazy!

Also, despite Crosby's 56 points in 36 games, I don't think he scores on nearly all the chances he should.

Talk about completely unrealistic expectations. If you don't like Dubnyk as a #1 goalie with a top 5 save percentage, then you will never like him.

#23 Bryan in SK
April 10 2013, 01:57PM

Allowing 40-something shots in a game is a problem, despite the good save percentage. Imagine if we allowed less than 30 per game??? At that save percentage, that would be one fewer goal against per game.

I wonder how many Bettman points we've lost out on just because of that stupid single goal in games where we allowed 40 shots.

#24 book¡e
April 10 2013, 02:13PM

This 'soft goals' thing is simply funny. All that matters is performance and consistency over an extended period of time. How the goals look to you is irrelevant.

If I didn't know better, I would think that the 'soft goals' crowd simply are trolling for a response..

#25 Ducey
April 10 2013, 02:25PM
Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy! wrote:

No. You misunderstood. I prefer he stops ALL OF THEM.

But if I had to choose, I'd start with the easy ones.

You are not helping yourself.

What difference does it make which shots he stops?

#26 Clarko
April 10 2013, 02:35PM
Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy! wrote:

WTF is going on here??

That Crosby comparison is completely out to lunch.

And you think it's unrealistic to expect your goalie to stop all the easy shots???

My point is that if you dissect anybody's game, you are going to find faults. Looking at the pure stats, Crosby is having an amazing season, but I'm sure I could find 10-15 plays where he should have done better and maybe scored.

Same with Dubnyk...if you look at his numbers, he is having an amzaing season. If you break down and dissect every game, then sure, you can find room for improvement. I'm sure he wants to improve too. But if his numbers don't say #1 goalie, then again, you will never see a #1 goalie in Dubnyk.

#27 Ducey
April 10 2013, 02:43PM
Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy! wrote:

I've played hockey all my life. I hate when our goalie let's in sh*tty goals. Especially in close games.

If I, or any of my teammates, leave him out to dry and he has no chance, I don't blame him.

Nice try with the "stats are stats, bro" argument.

Get real.

Ah, the fallback to "I have played all my life argument". Nice.

There is no way logic can deal with that.

#28 Clarko
April 10 2013, 02:55PM
TDSM31 wrote:

Precisely! I had to laugh during the Ducks game when Kevin Quinn screamed "Great save!", only to have the shot kicked directly into the slot on Dvoraks stick and in the net. That was a routine shot that most goalies would have directed into the corner. The first goal was not much better. He does this almost every game.

Habby has the same exact same save percentage but I don't see everyone singing his praises the way they do with Dubnyk. Tencer tweeted about Doobies SV% putting him in the same class of goalie as Niemi and Lundqvist but it can be a very misleading stat to use to measure the quality of a goalie.

LOL...guy stops 36 of 38 shots and gives his team a chance to win even though they were completely outplayed, and some fans say hhe should of had those two as well.

Accepting nothing but a shutout from your goalie while giving up 38 shots is ridiculous.

#29 Lochenzo
April 10 2013, 03:03PM

@ TDSM31: I disagree. If you watch Dubnyk's head, he was clearly searching for the puck, meaning that screen in front of him was effective. He just got down in time to get a pad on the puck. And you want him to control the rebound on top of that?!?!? Maybe Dubnyk can hand deliver hot tea and biscuits to your door between periods too!

#30 northof51
April 10 2013, 03:10PM
Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy! wrote:

Awesome.

Logic my d*ck.

You are arguing for intangibles, and you have provided ZERO logic to defend your argument. I've been playing COMPETITIVE hockey for longer than you have been playing hockey, and I have 2 degrees, so does that make me more right than you? (See what I did there?)

I wish Dubnyk stopped everything too, but the reality is that he is better than average and he is affordable.

I've got buddies (who talk a lot like you) that are big fans of bringing Lou in - for what? His big salary and a ridiculous loss of talent at other positions. I'd like to see what you and everyone else would say bout Lou's (cough) .904 save percentage vs. what Dubnyk is achieving.

As Gregor said, goaltending is NOT the issue with the Oilers. It's that we get horribly out-shot and out-chanced

#31 Mark-LW
April 10 2013, 03:14PM
Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy! wrote:

Glad to see some people are seeing it my way. Makes me feel less crazy.

Ryan Miller is considered one of the best goalies in the league. His SV% has been over 0.920 once.

Also, f**k Millhouse. I hope I meet him one day.

And lots of goalies have had SV% over 0.920 more than once.

What is your point?

EDIT: No one is talking about long term performance. And does anyone here consider Ryan Miller one of the best goalies in the league? The point is that Dubnyk is keeping the team in games (save for maybe two) more often than the other way around.

#32 Lochenzo
April 10 2013, 03:15PM

I guess if you want to dissect Dvorak goal # 2, I guess you could ask why the D didn't do a better job of boxing out the screen in front of Dubnyk. You could also ask who was the Oiler skater that Dvorak beat to the front of the net.

#33 Unhealthy scratch
April 10 2013, 04:56PM
match16 wrote:

Well, it also depends what position your team is in. If you're up 5-0 and your goalie lets in a soft one late, teammates can laugh about him ruining his shutout. On the other hand, if you're down 1-0 and your team is making a push for the tie, then your goalie lets in a softie, it can really deflate the team.

I don't think he's saying Dubnyk is bad, just that always being focused and ready and not letting in those softies is what separates the elites from the above averages.

It's not about the score, it's about whether you know as a team that you are good enough to overcome a bad bounce, missed call or soft goal.

The Oiler skaters are not good enough, collectively. DD stops pucks for a living and he stops them at a respectable save percentage. The psyche of the team, and the causes of it, are up to ST to fix, not DD.

But let's say you are right, and the cure is to go get an elite goaltender. Who has to make that trade or sign that FA? The guy that does the trades and signs the UFAs today? Thanks but no thanks.

#34 TDSM31
April 10 2013, 05:18PM
Oilcan wrote:

So if Van offered Schneider for Dubnyk you'd tell them to pound salt? Right.

#35 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
April 10 2013, 06:00PM
Oilcan wrote:

Correct.....GOALTENDING IS A FUNCTION OF TEAM DEFENSE....

and you know who let in soft goals beyond your wildest imagination......

GRANT FUHR! He had a 5 hole the size of Rama Lama's Steve Tambellini file.....

AND he won a few cups...was considered a clutch goaltender....and has his banner hanging in the rafters next to all the other Oiler GREATS!

#36 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
April 10 2013, 06:16PM
TDSM31 wrote:

So if Van offered Schneider for Dubnyk you'd tell them to pound salt? Right.

There's a reasonable chance that Dubnyk might outperform Schneider in Vancouver.....Do you know why?......because GOOD GOALTENDING IS A FUNCTION OF TEAM DEFENSE.....

(I'm old and I sometimes repeat myself...hell, I'm so old I even repeated ON myself)..

Look at Bryzgalov....MVP on Pheonix...Can't stop a beachball in Philly.....Smith...Can't stop a beachball in Tampa...MVP in Pheonix...

In those years that Buffalo is a team committed to team D....Ryan Miller is an MVP....Buffalo loses its way...Miller is crap..

Henrik Lundquist is a league MVP...Rangers trade away a few key defensive forwards to add more scoring (and lose a dman or two to injury) Lundquist looks average at best.

You think Rask or Tim Thomas are MVP's if they play for Tampa Bay?

It's no coincidence that the best goalie of all time, Martin Brodure played his entire career for one of the most Defensive style teams in NHL history. Etc Etc Etc

#37 michael
April 10 2013, 06:31PM

The City of Edmonton just finished its day of deliberations on the Arena. The motion passed to continue with the deal. The highlight of the day was Mandel asking the city's lawyer whether she was ok with the lease deal. It was a moment. I could play that over and over again.

The mayor carved it out for council regarding the MSI money and the lack of provincial support for the project with a direct from the sky kinda reference that made me laugh my ass off. Diotte is an oaf. Caterina. Well what do I expect when Rexall is in his riding. I admit that Mandel spoke to the issue at hand in the most direct manner possible. This he said isn't about Katz its about Edmonton. The profit is good bomb was classic. I was waiting for him toay if it wasn't for those profit business's there would not be those non profit places that some councillors love and espouse. I agree someone has to pay the bill for places like libraries and the art gallery and parks and so on.

I am glad we have a Mayor willing to stand up for all Edmontonians. His record and support for new libraries ,sport and recreation facilities, the arts and theater, and other things like LRTthe capital waste center, and the municipal airport redevelopment has pushed this city further under his administration then we ever saw under Reimer and Smith. I for one hope he decides on another term.

#38 Rocket
April 10 2013, 06:40PM
michael wrote:

I just want someone to actually start building the arena soon. Please? Anybody?

#39 tdsm31
April 10 2013, 09:00PM

Aaaaannnnnd theres the Dubersoft we know and love.....

#40 The Soup Fascist
April 10 2013, 09:03PM

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, may I present .... Exhibit "A".

#41 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
April 10 2013, 09:06PM
tdsm31 wrote:

Aaaaannnnnd theres the Dubersoft we know and love.....

~Yeah, but his SV% is 0.923 so far this game!~

#42 washed up
April 10 2013, 09:33PM

So....... This is suppose to be a deep draft year.

#43 vetinari
April 10 2013, 09:41PM

So, who else thinks that our team only tries, and I mean really, really tries, in about 50% of the games and the rest are just an evening of pond hockey in front of thousands of fans while being paid a few million dollars a year?

#44 Lochenzo
April 10 2013, 09:54PM

Oooo, confirmation bias. Never thought I'd see psychological discussion on here.

#45 tdsm31
April 10 2013, 10:08PM
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

You think Rask or Tim Thomas are MVP's if they play for Tampa Bay?

I asked if Van would trade Schneider for Dubnyk. If you posted that question to the general hockey watching public right now thers no question in my mind the overwhelming majority of responses would be NO. If you've watched any amount of hockey in your life you should be able to tell that Schneider has more talent than Dubnyk...he's quicker, moves better and is much more athletic. End of story.

#46 Alsker
April 10 2013, 10:11PM

Now Hall reminds me more of Mess than up til now. We need to see more of that mean streak.

#47 TonyT
April 10 2013, 11:13PM

FTNF!!!

#48 TDSM31
April 10 2013, 11:20PM
Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty) wrote:

Easy...I just as well could have said your comment that Dubnyk could outperform Schneider was idiotic. This is ON not HF Board.

#49 Old Retired Guy (A.K.A. Die-Nasty)
April 10 2013, 11:36PM
TDSM31 wrote:

Actually it started with Oilcan writing about Dubnyk :“add in the defence that is playing in front of him and what he has done this year is even more amazing. Put him on the Canucks and I bet he puts up better numbers then Schneider.”

To which you responded: “So if Van offered Schneider for Dubnyk you'd tell them to pound salt? Right.”

I responded by saying that it was possible….not out of the question…that Dubnyk could replicate, or even better Schneiders performance if he played for Vancouver…..You telling me that you have some kind of monopoly on hockey intelligence that you can predict hypotheticals with that kind of certainty?

#50 Shaun Doe
April 11 2013, 12:10AM
bazmagoo wrote:

Dubnyk is definitely not the problem on the Oilers. Our defence is one of the easiest to play against in the entire league, our third pairing couldn't get the puck out of our zone if their lives depended on it. J Schultz, Smid, and Petry are the only 3 I'd keep, the rest would be shown the door including N Schultz. Potter is a decent #7 defenceman, Fistric should definitely be shown the door at the end of the year and Whitney should only be brought back if it's at half his current salary. Just my two cents for the evening.

Double post to emphasize my confusion