LFR6 - Round 1, Game 2 - The Thrill

Steve Dangle
May 05 2013 01:41PM

The Bruins are human! The Leafs use their speed in Game 2, tying the series up 1-1!

Post Game
Chara vs the League
Pool! Streak Cred
JVR the Good
How the Leafs got Kessel away from Chara

6b6884e175cda86e6828bab0537236ad
#1 MaxPower417
May 05 2013, 02:41PM

I think the most underrated part of Gardiners game is his ability to get the puck out of the defensive zone. People notice the great stretch passes but not the sharp cutbacks, banks to his partners, ability to step around forecheckers etc. that allow him to make a smart pass and have the play move up the ice with speed. Only if he has zero time will you see him try to lob a puck over the blueline *cough* Fraser *cough* which usually leads to the team being hemmed in.

#2 Jeremy Ian
May 05 2013, 06:37PM

@MaxPower417

Agreed completely. This has been a challenge for the Leafs and Gardiner's skill set really stands out. Certainly, he should be left in.

#3 Mpsenicka
May 05 2013, 01:56PM

Loving these playoff videos, they just show the energy going through leafs nation right now. I know Toronto is buzzing right now but Monday night is going to be insane. I agree on all of your points that there should be no changes made but unfortunately I have a feeling that Gardiner will be taken out because Carlyle will believe that the turnovers overshadow his skill set that makes the whole team better. Keep up the good work Steve!

#4 whichonespink
May 05 2013, 02:06PM

Steve, why do you ask for comments and question of the game and never seem to respond? Too busy, I can see that, just seems that we are typing into ether. Still, here it goes. To answer your question, no change nothing. I'm not an advance stats guy (they make me sleepy) but I'm 46, been around watched and played hockey all me life, know a thing or two. I wanted to see, Jumbo Joe, Grads, Fratten and O'byrne. Did not see hamilton, like I said I know a thing or two but i'm no coach. I know speed and skill are important to winning and the leafs added that and used those intangibles last night. They couldn't have played a worse game than game one, so they had nowhere to go but up. Game 3 is going to blow the roof off the ACC, taunt Bruins fans relentlessly, but no hitting, we're Canadians, were the nice guys.

#5 whichonespink
May 05 2013, 02:13PM

@Mpsenicka

I could not agree with you more. Grads looked good last night, he's young and he's going to throw up the odd boner, but he also showed flashes of what Karelson brings to a game and the more the plays the more comfortable he'll be and the mistakes will lessen. I say there is too much talent and speed to ignore and he must play, it was the best and most obvious move to make for last nights game. He wasn't' the difference, but he got a point and was flying out there. He will never get experience in the press box.

#6 MaxPower417