Report: Horcoff to a contender, Bowness turned down Edmonton

Jonathan Willis
June 09 2013 10:06AM

There were a couple of interesting items for Oilers fans during the second intermission of CBC’s broadcast of game five between the Chicago Blackhawks and Los Angeles Kings. First, Glenn Healy reported that Rick Bowness – a candidate to work as an associate coach to Ralph Krueger – declined a job offer, while Elliotte Friedman provided some information on a possible Shawn Horcoff trade.

The Horcoff Trade

Friedman suggested that Horcoff – who has a no-move clause – would only accept a trade to a contending team, as he has no interest in being placed in another rebuild scenario. It’s an understandable stance for Horcoff, aged 34 to take, but it does rather limit the Oilers’ trade options (Just to clarify: Horcoff's no-move clause does not end on July 1; it allows him to submit a 10-team list).

When we looked the other day at poor contracts the Oilers might accept in trade, most of them were on second-tier teams. It seems likely in such a scenario that Horcoff would slot in as the third line centre for whichever club accepted him in trade, and that the Oilers would eat a significant portion of his cap hit in order to facilitate a move.

Reading through the league’s new collective bargaining agreement, it seems that the Oilers can retain as much as 50 percent of the salary and cap hit on Horcoff’s contract, and that money cannot vary from year to year. As I understand it (with the caveats that a) I’m not a lawyer and b) I haven’t read the whole CBA cover to cover), the percentage applies evenly to both salary and cap hit: in other words, if the Oilers do decide to retain 50 percent in a Horcoff trade, he would count against their roster as follows:

  • 2013-14: $2.75 million cap hit, $2 million actual salary
  • 2014-15: $2.75 million cap hit, $1.5 million actual salary

He almost certainly will have value to various contending teams in the league at that cap hit/price point; the only question is what the Oilers will be able to get in exchange.

Rick Bowness and the associate coach position

Meanwhile, Glenn Healy passed on some news on coaching that takes on added significance with the firing of Ralph Krueger yesterday. According to Healy, the Oilers offered former Vancouver associate coach Rick Bowness the same position in Edmonton – and Bowness turned them down to work in Tampa Bay instead.

Had Bowness accepted the job, would it have prevented general manager Craig MacTavish from firing Krueger on Saturday? It seems unlikely that the Oilers would have offered Bowness an associate role while they were planning to axe Krueger, because that would have married the incoming head coach to a lieutenant not of his own choosing. If Healy’s information is accurate, than it really does suggest that the decision to fire Krueger was made quickly, and it would also indicate that Krueger was *this* close to surviving what is shaping up as a turbulent off-season in Edmonton.

Recently around the Nation Network

After some talk in Toronto of moving Phil Kessel, Leafs Nation's Jeff Veillette explains in careful detail Why You Don't Trade Phil Kessel: 

At the end of the day, the suggestion can be boiled down to this: The Leafs want to win, so they should trade their one superstar for either a centre who will need someone like him on his wing (instead of trying an already owned option), or a defenceman who will need several years to develop into what the Leafs need. But, this can't come at a steep cost, because the most appropriate use of the Leafs cap dollars is on players in between star level and replacement level, pretty good but not great. The Leafs need to work hard, and this player was considered to not be a hard worker four years ago. By the way, this is all because of two minutes in a series that he was probably the team's best player in, despite all the expectation that he wouldn't. When you put it that way, it sounds like a bunch of nonsense. Because it is.

Click the link above to read the whole piece, or feel free check out some of my other pieces here:

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#1 John Chambers
June 09 2013, 10:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Maybe I lost faith in Kruger during last season's slide, but it seems like his dismissal over the course of the 13-14 season would've been inevitable unless the team came storming out of the gate and managed to hold down a playoff position all year.

Instead the Oil get a cach who will almost certainly be bench boss for at least 3 seasons, and in the end that was the most favorable scenario for everyone, save Kruger, and therefore MacT had no choice but to make the move now.

Avatar
#2 106 and 106
June 09 2013, 10:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

We'll eat the extra salary and then probably lose the trade, but if that's what it takes to change the "circus" culture in the dressing room, than good stuff. New Captain and Assistants next year as well.

Tumultuous indeed.

Avatar
#3 Mr. Common sense
June 09 2013, 10:17AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Interesting development yesterday, I'm not one to cry for any coach or player, the only calculus that matters is winning and MacT is sure projecting a confident tone. I wonder however what the players are thinking, they seemed to have liked Ralph a lot, any intel that contradicts this? Ahl coaches historically don't so well in their first gig in the big leagues, wonder what blew MacT away with Eakins, perhaps Ralph was equally if not smarter than MacT and he felt threatened? Ralph have leadership lectures to world leaders at the World Economic Forum and I recall J. Schultz and Yak specifically saying he was a persuasion master. So...strange move

Avatar
#4 Pucker - B class
June 09 2013, 10:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

I'm more comfortable with a prospective new coach than a Krueger/Bowness combo whether it's Eakins or someone with a better resume.

Horcoff - I still like as a 4/3 line center as long as his head is still into it and his Cap Hit doesn't affect other options. He is an improvement on Belanger and Smithson.

That being said, I'm sure MacT wouldn't have mentioned moving him if Horc was still into it. He needs to be committed to be effective.

Avatar
#5 StHenriOilBomb
June 09 2013, 10:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I still feel like RK never got a real kick at the can. He was trying to change the entire system - to a good one or not, we may not know - in a season where there was no camp, and very few practices.

I think the move had to be made, but Krueger was maybe an unfortunate casualty of the lockout.

If he had never been hired as a head coach, he may still be excelling as an assistant.

Good luck RK. I hope you get another chance.

Avatar
#6 DigDeepNBleedBlue
June 09 2013, 10:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Ralph didn't cut it. There really isn't anything else to say. He didn't work. I saw it and thankfully the GM saw it.

Maybe he would still be head coach if they hired an experienced AC, but lets look at that. You're going to bring in an experienced AC because your head coach is inexperienced. The writing was and is on the wall, peeps.

Can't dispute the facts.

Horcoff, as per Capgeek, has a limited NTC clause. He can name 10 teams he will accept a trade to.

Personally, if he plays hard ball I would put him in the minors.

Avatar
#7 Colin
June 09 2013, 10:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

Why was MacT interviewing assistant/associate coaches in the first place? Isn't that the job of the head coach?

Avatar
#8 Sliderule
June 09 2013, 10:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

If Horcoff doesn't accept whatever team hey can trade him to he will be bought out.

No way they are keeping him around

Avatar
#9 Sidd
June 09 2013, 10:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Trade Horcoff to Philly take some salary add another player like Petry go after Sean Couturier

Avatar
#11 Mr. Common sense
June 09 2013, 10:47AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

And there's the anti-Horcoff brigade again. He's not getting bought out; as MacTavish has already said the team will welcome him back if they can't find a trade that works. He's also not going to the minors - the limited cap relief gained is not nearly worth the loss of a useful third-line centre.

Ya but why keep a guy who sold his house and who's boss called him a "loser" in public (losing mentality)?? So cut throat with the nice coach but accommodating to a player? Pay him and cut him loose

Avatar
#12 DigDeepNBleedBlue
June 09 2013, 10:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I don't think it's anti-Horcoff propaganda.

The facts:

Cap sits at 64.3mil

3rd line center has a cap hit of 5.5mil.

The two don't fit well if you want to ice a competitive team. If he chooses to play hardball you are left negotiated from a position of weakness. As an Oiler fan I don't like that.

At this point we have no factual evidence of what Horcoff plans to say or do. Unless anyone has inside info. Anyone? But, if he does plan on playing hardball then all options should be on the table.

I'd like to think Mac-T isn't a b**ch. He doesn't seem to be.

The threat of the minors, IMO, can help someone see the light. That is all...

Avatar
#13 6 ring circus
June 09 2013, 10:50AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Lets not forget who hired Kruger in the first place, good old Tambellini.The coaching revolving door and the lack of player support, trades and the Oilers dismal record these last few years is why Tambellini was fired and Mactavish hired. Mactavish will do more in his first 6 months on the job then Tambellini did in his 5 years.

Avatar
#16 Mr common sense
June 09 2013, 10:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

I didn't say they'd keep him - it's pretty obvious there's a trade in the works.

What I'm getting at is the 'imagine Horcoff's a huge jerk and intentionally gums up the works - let's buy him out/dump him in the minors' fantasizing is ridiculous. Nothing here suggests any of that is the case.

Ill agree on that, no need to "souray" him.

Avatar
#17 Walter Sobchak
June 09 2013, 11:00AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

I'm not sure Ralph deserved this, much like the Renney dismissal.

How do you know what Ralph was capable of?

A shortened compressed schedule is tough, but not having the ponies or a coherent GM made it impossible to know what Ralph could do.

So far all MacTavish has done is fired yet another coach before his time.

Let everyone in the NHL know that Horcoff and Hemsky are on the market diminishing there value and diminishing the return on those players.

Made every GM in the league aware that he requires certain players making it increasingly difficult to get fair trade value, the Oilers will almost certainly have to overpay for players now.

MacTavish has no bargaining power now.........not smart.

Avatar
#18 Eddie Shore
June 09 2013, 11:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Walter Sobchak

Does it really matter what he is or isn't capable of? The fact is he and MacT have differing views about the way the team should play.

Avatar
#19 madjam
June 09 2013, 11:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

I feel it's important for Mac.t to take control and separate him from the perceived (rightly or wrongly ) of Lowe and/or Tams. He appears to be doing just that . MacT. wants to be judged on his decisions , not Lowe or the accumulations of Tams tenure . Can't fault him for that insight . Sounds like Horcoff in an Iginla ,Luongo type situation . Hope it resolves early before season starts .

Avatar
#20 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
June 09 2013, 11:08AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

This Bowness situation is a fine example of how not to attract coaches. I'm sure having to work with the existing coaches on staff had everything to do with his turning it down. If he only had to work with Krueger he may have been okay. To also have to tolerate Smith and Buchberger may have reduced his impact on this club greatly. No wonder our Oilers are going on their 4th coach in 5 yrs.

Next up, is Stu MacGregor and his staff, really MacTavishs' choice to head up his amateur scouting department? Have to think there may be some changes going on there as well. The Horcoff to a contender is a load of bunk. What contending team has room for a 5.5 cap hit 3rd/4th line center. Paying him to play for a different team must only confirm incompetence.

Avatar
#21 DigDeepNBleedBlue
June 09 2013, 11:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Which centre are you planning to bring in that the team can't currently afford because of Horcoff's contract? Also, how would the minors help that situation?

Which center? Well I'd hate to be "fantasizing" about that on here. As that would be "ridiculous".

I was merely pointing out if, and this is a big IF, Horcoff decides to play hardball that the Oilers should as well and maybe, MAYBE, the threat of burying him in the minors may help him to see the light and be more accommodating. That is all...

Avatar
#22 mlcsellil
June 09 2013, 11:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

My understanding from some of the comments that I've been reading since RK has been relieved of his duties, is that he was only in on a couple interviews with MacT for the associate coach hiring, and was not in Toronto for the combine to see and talk to the up and comers. I wonder if being left out of these things had Ralph a little nervous about his status as head coach. Not being in a position to qualify his input re: decisions in important matters for the betterment of the team should have been very telling to him. After working with the Oil in different capacities for 3 years, he knows how management makes decisions.

I agree with MacT that changes are necessary and will be immediate, plentiful and harsh, but I still feel bad for Ralph. He seems like a great guy, but obviously not the right coach for this team.

As far as the players are concerned, I would think MacT has their attention now. It doesn't appear that most of the team should be assuming their roster spot is a gimme.

MacT is going to bring the fans lots of excitement, and controversy in the off season.

Avatar
#23 Mr common sense
June 09 2013, 11:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
mlcsellil wrote:

My understanding from some of the comments that I've been reading since RK has been relieved of his duties, is that he was only in on a couple interviews with MacT for the associate coach hiring, and was not in Toronto for the combine to see and talk to the up and comers. I wonder if being left out of these things had Ralph a little nervous about his status as head coach. Not being in a position to qualify his input re: decisions in important matters for the betterment of the team should have been very telling to him. After working with the Oil in different capacities for 3 years, he knows how management makes decisions.

I agree with MacT that changes are necessary and will be immediate, plentiful and harsh, but I still feel bad for Ralph. He seems like a great guy, but obviously not the right coach for this team.

As far as the players are concerned, I would think MacT has their attention now. It doesn't appear that most of the team should be assuming their roster spot is a gimme.

MacT is going to bring the fans lots of excitement, and controversy in the off season.

Good point. When Tsar Nicholas took hold, he immediately killed his popular army General "vlasiliyez" in what was at the time very confusing but sent the intended shock and trepidation through the ranks. He ruled, unchallenged for 14 years.

Avatar
#24 StHenriOilBomb
June 09 2013, 11:20AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

“I don’t think this was in any way fair to Ralph. This wasn’t about being fair to Ralph.” Mac-T

so true, but at least he'll admit it and still follow his goal.

To those suggesting that RK should have been let go with Tambi - firing the coach is a GM's job.

As for Horc - we'll see what happens, but feelings or fairness are not going to be part of it. That's a nice change from the regular EOOBC.

Avatar
#25 Rama Lama
June 09 2013, 11:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

RK was a very good man for the organization..........I for one hope he lands somewhere ( Head Scout in Europe) ......I never bought the motivational speaker thing as being necessary for the job.

It's pretty obvious that Eakins and Maurice will be team and that colloboration will be good as both have worked together before......at least this way if Eakins struggles we have a second built in coach, ready to go.

It's becoming painfully obvious just how incompetent Tamby really was and that in spite of all the situations surrounding him that needed management or leadership, he was happy to do nothing. I for one hope he ends up in Calgary or Vancouver.

I will give Mac T all the latitude he needs, at least he is making decisions and for me that speaks to leadership more than anything. I do get the sense that his leaving the organization was more about telling his best friend ( KL) " to lead and do something creative, or I will get an education and come back to fix all your problems"! KL is also incompetent so having Mac T back has bought him some time.

I wish Mac T all the success, he has my respect already.

Avatar
#26 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
June 09 2013, 11:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

It's obvious this is the way you're treated if you're not a member of the EOOBC. If Ralph had a stronger history with this organization, he may not have been lumped in and treated much like Rob Daum was a few yrs ago.

Does Krueger have 1, or 2 yrs left on his deal?

Avatar
#27 horndog77
June 09 2013, 11:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Here's a thought and don't roast me to bad! What if Edmonton traded Hemsky and Horcoff + a pick to Vancouver for Luongo. Solves each teams needs.

Avatar
#28 SrCain
June 09 2013, 11:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
horndog77 wrote:

Here's a thought and don't roast me to bad! What if Edmonton traded Hemsky and Horcoff + a pick to Vancouver for Luongo. Solves each teams needs.

Ok, Ill try to be easy on you lol you want to trade our most experienced C, a still very good RW, and a pick for an aging, moody goalie with an albatross contract for many years, who isn't even a huge upgrade on our current goalie. (luongo supporters insert roast here) Then call it the answer to our needs. Tell me this was a joke?

Avatar
#29 Gaz
June 09 2013, 11:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
4
props

There is a multitude of ways that the coaching situation could have evolved, and the one that commentors on this site want to gravitate towards is the one that reflects the poorest on the organization.

Define an offer to Bowness. Can anyone? Verbal? Papered? Morse code?

Now tell us Bowness' reasons for passing (assuming it is correct - a big if, given the source). We all want it to be because the Oilers are inept, but that isn't the only possibility.

Situations are fluid. Perhaps the Oilers thought they had zero appeal to Eakins (assuming the rumors are true) and proceeded with a plan involving Krueger until their information was updated.

I need it from someone (anyone) other than Glenn Healy. That guy is the second biggest buffoon on television, after Milbury. And yes, I am aware of PJ Stock.

Avatar
#30 HOFFFF
June 09 2013, 12:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
horndog77 wrote:

Here's a thought and don't roast me to bad! What if Edmonton traded Hemsky and Horcoff + a pick to Vancouver for Luongo. Solves each teams needs.

Hahaha, because Horcoff said he wanted to go to a contender.

Avatar
#31 Westcoastoil
June 09 2013, 12:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

I find the Bowness turndown interesting. Was it a case of wanting to live in sunny Florida (with no state tax) and work with the likes of Stevie Y, Stamkos, et al., or did the veteran coach sense the division in philosophy between RK and MacT? Or did TB simply offer more dough?

Avatar
#32 Reagan
June 09 2013, 12:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

TSN's Darren Dreger was hinting that a Horcoff deal was done verbal agreement, but can't announce it for some specific reason. Also Dallas Eakins has lawyers confirming and checking his potential contact with the Oilers on a long term deal.

Should be an interesting few days.

Avatar
#33 Oilcan
June 09 2013, 12:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Walter Sobchak wrote:

I'm not sure Ralph deserved this, much like the Renney dismissal.

How do you know what Ralph was capable of?

A shortened compressed schedule is tough, but not having the ponies or a coherent GM made it impossible to know what Ralph could do.

So far all MacTavish has done is fired yet another coach before his time.

Let everyone in the NHL know that Horcoff and Hemsky are on the market diminishing there value and diminishing the return on those players.

Made every GM in the league aware that he requires certain players making it increasingly difficult to get fair trade value, the Oilers will almost certainly have to overpay for players now.

MacTavish has no bargaining power now.........not smart.

The NHL isn't Fantasy Hockey online, if GM's want a guy they will get him. GM's are looking to make their team better, and when they are looking to make trades they look at scenarios and the makeup of other teams, where they might want a player type that the team as an abundance of and trade a player type from their own team the team is needing. AKA size for speed type of thing.

What MacT has done is set himself to look stupid if he doesn't deliver, but I have a feeling that isn't in the cards. I am happy that the GM is finally talking with some purpose and direction and is putting his reputation (and job) on the line to create a successful team.

Avatar
#34 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
June 09 2013, 12:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
horndog77 wrote:

Here's a thought and don't roast me to bad! What if Edmonton traded Hemsky and Horcoff + a pick to Vancouver for Luongo. Solves each teams needs.

I think the Canucks would rather ask for the Oilers 7th, and maybe even the 37th, or the 56th. They'd want as little salary as possible coming back the other way. There's no way this would ever happen.

Avatar
#35 Walter Sobchak
June 09 2013, 12:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Oilcan wrote:

The NHL isn't Fantasy Hockey online, if GM's want a guy they will get him. GM's are looking to make their team better, and when they are looking to make trades they look at scenarios and the makeup of other teams, where they might want a player type that the team as an abundance of and trade a player type from their own team the team is needing. AKA size for speed type of thing.

What MacT has done is set himself to look stupid if he doesn't deliver, but I have a feeling that isn't in the cards. I am happy that the GM is finally talking with some purpose and direction and is putting his reputation (and job) on the line to create a successful team.

Really, fantasy hockey? If a GM wants a guy he gets him?

Ok.....Heatly....Hossa......Nylander.......Vanek....Bowness.......boy, sure is easy.

I'll take Weber, Move up in the draft to take Barkov, trade for Dubinsky, sign Bickell and get Bishop out of Tampa.

Yep, just like that?

What players do you think he can use to trade with?

Avatar
#36 Smokey
June 09 2013, 12:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
horndog77 wrote:

Here's a thought and don't roast me to bad! What if Edmonton traded Hemsky and Horcoff + a pick to Vancouver for Luongo. Solves each teams needs.

We don't want Luongo. Would not trade Horc unless we recieved picks.

Avatar
#37 horndog77
June 09 2013, 12:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
SrCain wrote:

Ok, Ill try to be easy on you lol you want to trade our most experienced C, a still very good RW, and a pick for an aging, moody goalie with an albatross contract for many years, who isn't even a huge upgrade on our current goalie. (luongo supporters insert roast here) Then call it the answer to our needs. Tell me this was a joke?

Yes I know it sounds bad! But Horcoff ain't gonna get much in return and Hemsky has a second round pick written all over him. I think luongo is still a good goalie just needs a change in scenery. Goalie crop doesn't look good this year so why not. Atleast this solves the goalie problem. It also helps Edmonton free up a little in cash for free agency.

Avatar
#38 LinkfromHyrule
June 09 2013, 12:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

@Next up, is Connor McJesus.

So did you not read the part about us eating some of horcoffs salary or what. Anyway "motivational" or not, RK proved this season that he was not suited for the oilers situation. I think on a different team with different assistants in a differen situation he could be a great coach. Not here though I for one am glad he is gone. The WHOLE team regressed, other than DD, enough said

Avatar
#39 horndog77
June 09 2013, 12:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

I think the Canucks would rather ask for the Oilers 7th, and maybe even the 37th, or the 56th. They'd want as little salary as possible coming back the other way. There's no way this would ever happen.

What if it was Ballard/ luongo for Hemsky and Horcoff

Avatar
#40 oliveoilers
June 09 2013, 12:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
John Chambers wrote:

Maybe I lost faith in Kruger during last season's slide, but it seems like his dismissal over the course of the 13-14 season would've been inevitable unless the team came storming out of the gate and managed to hold down a playoff position all year.

Instead the Oil get a cach who will almost certainly be bench boss for at least 3 seasons, and in the end that was the most favorable scenario for everyone, save Kruger, and therefore MacT had no choice but to make the move now.

Agree with the first paragraph, but the second has a DSF "Book it" feel to it. So we will almost certainly get a coach for at least 3 seasons? Based on what? Previous oiler coach contracts since MacT? It's been a revolving door! We go through coaches like Philly/Leafs go through goalies. We're a coaching grave-yard. You think other coaches are blind to this? So RK's system didn't work after half a season. Sure, skid him. As long as the next coach has 48 games to make 24th place....

Avatar
#41 Walter Sobchak
June 09 2013, 12:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Eddie Shore wrote:

Does it really matter what he is or isn't capable of? The fact is he and MacT have differing views about the way the team should play.

Actually from the presser, they only differed on a few things and wasn't the sole reason for the dismissal.

What mattered is Ralph wasn't given the tools to do the job he needed to do.

So why make the change?

Avatar
#42 Oilcan
June 09 2013, 12:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Really, fantasy hockey? If a GM wants a guy he gets him?

Ok.....Heatly....Hossa......Nylander.......Vanek....Bowness.......boy, sure is easy.

I'll take Weber, Move up in the draft to take Barkov, trade for Dubinsky, sign Bickell and get Bishop out of Tampa.

Yep, just like that?

What players do you think he can use to trade with?

Haha clearly I touched a nerve.

If a GM wants a player from another team and isn't just kicking the tires then he will make a trade for that player if it feels like it makes his club better (on;y reason GM's make moves). I am saying MacT saying Hemsky and Horcoff need change and he will try and move them doesn't do much because you just need a GM that wants one of them and make a trade that makes sense.

Making trades in the NHL is hard enough so I find it hard to believe a GM is going to "pinch pennies" on a trade because the GM verbally said he is looking at moving them (will obviously try to start like any GM would do but if that GM thinks either of those players will make his club better in the trade then he will do it). How else would trade talks get started, so instead of Mac T making 30 phone calls he says it in the media....no big deal in my opinion.

Avatar
#43 SrCain
June 09 2013, 12:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
horndog77 wrote:

Yes I know it sounds bad! But Horcoff ain't gonna get much in return and Hemsky has a second round pick written all over him. I think luongo is still a good goalie just needs a change in scenery. Goalie crop doesn't look good this year so why not. Atleast this solves the goalie problem. It also helps Edmonton free up a little in cash for free agency.

I know theres a large group of people out there who view DD as a problem. To me the jury is still out on that one. If we trade Horc and Hemmer and don't get a C back, our depth down the middle will be Nuge(who may start the season on the sidelines), Gagner, Belanger, Lander. That's horrifying. Or we overpay a guy in a weak FA market. To me that's another problem created not solved.

Avatar
#44 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
June 09 2013, 12:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

Bruce Garriock mentions the Penguins will probably be cutting either James Neal or Chris Kunitz loose this summer. Pens are at nearly 57 mill and only 18 players signed.

Neal (left winger) is due 5 per for the next 5 yrs. Would you surrended the Oilers first in 14 for James Neal?

Avatar
#45 Racki
June 09 2013, 12:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props

I've always been a big fan of Horcoff, bad contract or not. But it does seem the opportune time to part ways. If MacTavish is going to get "bold" he's going to need the cap space to do so. For one or two players, it's no big deal to keep Horcoff around, but I think if we're talking about bringing in a guy like Horton (which is an unlikely scenario, however) or Clarkson, or one of the UFA big wingers, a top 4 d-man, some goaltending help, and a completely new bottom six, it would be good to have the flexibility there.

Plus, I think MacT was on to something when he said in his presser that sometimes when a guy is around a failure like this for years it can really take a toll. I think Horcoff has been a good soldier, but I think it is definitely the time to move him and Hemsky in any way possible.

Hemsky should have value enough in a trade (even if we have to eat salary), but Horcoff might come down to a compliance buyout. It's not a slap in the face or anything.. he'll get his money and get a better pick of teams as he'll be a UFA and the power will be in his hands. Plus if he's willing to take a Scott Gomez contract on, he'll likely be a hot commodity. So there is nothing wrong with this choice at all.

Burying in the minors though? That's not an option as it is completely stupid to do to a guy who has given his all for this team. That would be even worse PR than burying Souray.

Avatar
#46 Racki
June 09 2013, 12:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

Bruce Garriock mentions the Penguins will probably be cutting either James Neal or Chris Kunitz loose this summer. Pens are at nearly 57 mill and only 18 players signed.

Neal (left winger) is due 5 per for the next 5 yrs. Would you surrended the Oilers first in 14 for James Neal?

I would. James Neal has already proven to be a top NHL talent, and he has the size we need. Problem is, he has a limited NTC which allows him to pick 8 teams he won't be traded to... so if Edmonton is one of them, that deal can't be done.

Avatar
#47 Racki
June 09 2013, 12:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
SrCain wrote:

I know theres a large group of people out there who view DD as a problem. To me the jury is still out on that one. If we trade Horc and Hemmer and don't get a C back, our depth down the middle will be Nuge(who may start the season on the sidelines), Gagner, Belanger, Lander. That's horrifying. Or we overpay a guy in a weak FA market. To me that's another problem created not solved.

Since Philly is rumored to be offering B. Schenn or Couturier for a top 4 d-man, I'd be working on a deal with them. That would afford us the ability to move Horcoff.

I'd think Petry+ might get things going. We'd have to work later to fill that hole created by the loss of Petry, but I think we can at least get by for a bit with lesser D and a strong defensive system than we could with a real weak centre group.

Avatar
#48 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
June 09 2013, 12:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
1
props
Racki wrote:

Since Philly is rumored to be offering B. Schenn or Couturier for a top 4 d-man, I'd be working on a deal with them. That would afford us the ability to move Horcoff.

I'd think Petry+ might get things going. We'd have to work later to fill that hole created by the loss of Petry, but I think we can at least get by for a bit with lesser D and a strong defensive system than we could with a real weak centre group.

How about two D men?

Petry and the pre july 5th rights to Ryan Whitney. Jeff is on a bargain contract when you consider there's 2/3 potential in a couple yrs. Have to think Whitney may already be on the Flyers radar.

Avatar
#49 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
June 09 2013, 12:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props
horndog77 wrote:

What if it was Ballard/ luongo for Hemsky and Horcoff

Nada, sideways move in my opinion, adding Ballard makes that deal even more difficult. Unless the Canucks pick up a significant portion of Luongos salary. 60/40 perhaps, Oilers picking up the larger share.

Avatar
#50 TDSM31
June 09 2013, 12:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
0
props

@Oilcan

"If a GM wants a player from another team and isn't just kicking the tires then he will make a trade for that player if it feels like it makes his club better (on;y reason GM's make moves)."

That's still a wildly inaccurate statement....did you mean, "...he will make an OFFER for that player..." ??

Comments are closed for this article.