Former Maple Leaf calls Randy Carlyle a "stupid coach"

Cam Charron
July 04 2013 03:58PM

From Jonas Siegel, who you have to figure is going to have a real meaty post soon.

Of course, what does Mikhail Grabovski know about coaching? Has he even ever played hockey?

Some reaction is trickling in from "The Buyout". James Mirtle has already rocketed Grabovski up onto the top of the NHL's list of unrestricted free agents. Tyler Dellow summed it up perfectly by writing “Everybody does better at everything with Grabovski than they do with the guy the Leafs are interested in keeping.”

Meanwhile, Steve Simmons gets his wish.

You have to feel for Grabovski, who was a talented guy that would take physical abuse and then go off and score some goals. He put a lot into his time in Toronto, and while he wasn't the team's most popular player, he was one of the best during some particularly lean years.

But he talks funny and isn't Canadian, so I can sort of see where Randy Carlyle wouldn't appreciate his ability.

63811cbf517d2d685ea09e103488ea3a
Cam Charron is a BC hockey fan that writes about hockey on many different websites including this one.
#1 Starved
July 04 2013, 04:03PM

It's will unfortunately be a great move for Grabovski. He'll make a bunch more money and go to a team that will use him to his strengths. I'll be cheering for him.

I'm so depressed about where this team is headed.

#2 Derek
July 04 2013, 04:09PM
Starved wrote:

I'm so depressed about where this team is headed.

I dunno about a bunch more money, but hopefully he'll go somewhere where he gets to play offensively. I'll be cheering for him too.

#3 Badger M
July 04 2013, 04:15PM

I'm mad at the Grabo buyout too, but I doubt the "Carlyle is xenophobic" accusations are based on any actual evidence.

#4 albertan
July 04 2013, 04:20PM

I generally like your articles and arguments Cam, but the angry "Carlyle is a xenophobe" talk just reeks of poor journalism.

#5 Jake
July 04 2013, 04:22PM

Grabovski is a stupid player. Randy is a great coach and has a Stanley cup ring... But I guess coaches that win Stanley cups are stupid... Glad the leafs got rid of him. It was never going to work out! Just cleared a bunch of cap. Now we have a real third line centre- Dave bolland who can play the role that Grabovski had to play last season!

#6 Dwolf63
July 04 2013, 04:29PM

Buying Grabovski out was the right move for the long term. It doesn't matter if he was the best centre or not. It only matters whether his play justified his salary.

Analyzing all the corsi stuff and not relating it to money is like giving the torq, horsepower, and performance rating of a car without talking about its mileage.

That works fine if fuel is unlimited supply. But in this case it is not. There are only 64,000,000 litres of fuel to spend this year, and if one vehicle is hogging all the fuel, it limits what other vehicles you can run.

Was his the only bad contract? No. Phaneuf's is probably higher than it should be - but we're still getting more value out of Dion than we were getting out of Grabs.

As far as Carlylse being a "stupid" coach - one must apply Taylor Swift logic here - Grabs thought the coaches in montreal were stupid when he left there. Now the coaches are stupid here. One has to wonder how many other stupid coaches he has to play for before he realizes maybe it's not the coaches he should never ever be together with anymore.

I take no delight in Grabs leaving. Heck I take no delight in Komi being bought out either. They're human beings, and it doesn't matter about how much they make it all - this sort of thing is hard on anyone.

But I think this was the right move, and I think before you possibly 'posteriorize' yourself, you should wait and see what the team actually does, rather than judge them on what you're assuming they're going to do.

#7 MaxPower417
July 04 2013, 04:31PM

Good. I'm glad he said it.

#8 FlareKnight
July 04 2013, 05:00PM

Yeah, I think all the respectability of this post went out the window in the last line. Obviously he was bought out because the Leaf's head coach is racist or xenophobic.

I started off not overjoyed by this move. Has shown some good stuff and could bounce back. At the same time everyone knew that contract was a dumb idea when it was signed. So I wasn't bothered at getting rid of the contract.

Whatever the source of Carlyle not wanting to use Grabo in the top 6, this relationship had become toxic from these farewell quotes. If this was how things were then I say it's fine to buy him out now.

But all the flipping out has me liking this move more and more. With Kadri emerging the question remained whether Grabo could be the #1 center on this team or if Kadri could and Grabo be the #2. If Nonis didn't feel either is realistic then moving him out makes sense.

Also I worry about Grabo's long term durability. It's great that he gets back up when knocked down, but he gets knocked down a lot. Only a matter of time until he gets annihilated and isn't able to bounce back the same.

Too bad for Grabo, but it's not like he's leaving with an empty wallet. Could be worse.

#9 Starved
July 04 2013, 08:00PM
Derek wrote:

He gets the buyout amount annually plus whatever new salary he negotiates. He will almost certainly be making more money next year altogether than he made this year.