David Alter reports Nazem Kadri wants a lot of money, Kadri fires back

Steve Dangle
August 24 2013 10:32PM

TWITTER FIGHT!!!!!!

David Alter, the Leafs and NHL reporter for Sportsnet 590 the Fan, reported what Nazem Kadri's camp is allegedly asking for in ongoing contract negotiations with the Leafs. Nazem Kadri responded...negatively. Before I get into what I think, here's how the conversation went. 

And then ish got real...

Well that's an exciting little turn of events, especially for hockey in the middle of August.

Let me get this out of the way right off the bat because I'm sure somebody will eagerly point this out in the comments section: David Alter is my friend. I hope that doesn't change your mind on what I think of the situation, but at least I'm letting you know.

On the flip side, I have also met and spoken to Nazem Kadri a bunch of times. I don't have a bad thing to say about the guy. In fact, I think he's one of the more active and nicer guys on the team in terms of fan interaction.

Anyway...

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that Alter is currently in Vancouver, on what was supposed to be a vacation. Welp, so much for that! He penned (or typed) this post after the exchange.

Many people tweeted about how Kadri "owned" Alter. I'm not sure how. I mean, yeah, Kadri stuck up for himself, but that doesn't mean he's right and Alter's lying or his sources are bogus. We'll never be able to confirm the truth on this one. Alter reported something, and Kadri said it was wrong. It's not like Kadri said what he was actually asking for, because that would be stupid. It's also unlikely that Alter would reveal who told him those details, because that's not exactly a smart move for a journalist to make. You don't reveal sources.

On the other hand, you can't blame Kadri. He's in the middle of the first big contract negotiation of his young career, and it's obviously starting to get pretty heated. He already voiced his displeasure with the negotiations in the media recently.

The start of the season is mere weeks away. Exhibition games start in less than a month. Training camp is even sooner. Kadri's camp, if Alter's report is true, is asking for a lot of money. You can't blame them; that's kind of their job. The Leafs are the other party in this negotiation, so they're low-balling Kadri. No surprise there either. Complicating matters even more is that Dave Nonis has really put the Leafs in a cap crunch situation this summer. How he plans on signing both Kadri and Franson by the time the season starts is a mystery to me.

Kadri saw Alter report something about the negotiations, something Kadri would likely want to remain private if it's true, and Alter also referred to Kadri's dip in production at the end of the season. Those two triggers likely set Kadri off, as they would set off any young guy in a bad mood.

This is gonna be fun to watch.

If you're interested in learning more about David Alter, he was on my podcast recently. You might be particularly interested in what he says about reporting, the pressure that comes with breaking stories, and his relationship with players in the Maple Leafs' locker room.

6b6884e175cda86e6828bab0537236ad
Steve Dangle has a YouTube channel with over 3 million views and is the co-host of the Steve Dangle Podcast on iTunes and SoundCloud. Steve has also worked for CBC, the NHL Network, Leafs TV, Nike, the KHL, and most of all, the Toronto Zoo. stevedangle.com
Avatar
#1 Bryce Kendal
August 25 2013, 01:06AM
Trash it!
21
trashes
Props
9
props

I dont understand how Alter can just write an article with no facts and just throw out numbers quoting no sources or facts to back them up. The best part is you people are reading this and believing it just because Alter said it. The real facts are no one really knows anything and the tweets and article is speculation. Kadri's response to him furthers that fact.

The facts are no one knows anything besides Kadri and Leafs management all these other "reporters" have no factual evidence just like every other Tom Dick and Harry sitting at the bar discussing this topic. And THAT people is the truth not what Alter and others are fabricating.

Avatar
#2 whyihatetheleafs
August 25 2013, 09:12AM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Props
6
props

I'm not sure who is superior at trashing leaf players - the MSM or the online twitter stats folks.

Kadri often gets maligned as perhaps it both generates hits for MSM and bloggers. Remember how Kadri was "fat" and had a bad attitude etc. This is more of that terrible treatment by MSM and twitter trash talkers. If Cherry was saying this about Kadri, people would pull out the Xenophobic argument because of Kadri's race.

I don't care about a player's advanced stats or opinion piece narratives and tweets that people spin when it comes to MSM or bloggers willing trashing my team.

I still enjoy my leafs - be it Kadri (entitled whiner), Lupul (poor advanced stats), Phanuef (bad captain), Kessel (backs out of physical play), Orr (soupcan facepuncher), Bozak (nice hair) and Reimer (bad glove hand) etc. I mostly like how Carlyle coaches (poor usage) and Nonis (potato power) does their jobs.

But the MSM and some advanced stats folks are in a class all by themselves with their "reporting" masquerading as hatchet job opinion pieces and hit generating stories and tweets. At one time the bloggers and advanced stats folk would hold the MSM to account but now they are as bad if not worse then them.

Avatar
#3 whyihatetheleafs
August 25 2013, 09:18AM
Trash it!
12
trashes
Props
7
props

@Steve Dangle

And a source from Calgary told us that Phaneuf is bad in the locker room. He must suck as a leaf captain. Ha ha you guys are too funny.

Avatar
#4 ajp4to
August 25 2013, 09:39AM
Trash it!
9
trashes
Props
7
props

Give him the big dollar long term deal he wants and watch as he gets fat and lazy. This flop and fall down clowns’ only motivation is the big dollars. Once he gets them you can say goodbye to the work ethic and desire required to play at the NHL level.

Avatar
#6 Jimmy
August 25 2013, 08:19AM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Props
21
props

"ur stories r so inaccurate it's actually humorous"

Guys, relax. It's pretty obvious that a 12 year old girl hacked Kadri's account.

Avatar
#7 whyihatetheleafs
August 25 2013, 11:53AM
Trash it!
8
trashes
Props
3
props
Steve Dangle wrote:

Yeah and that may be right or wrong. How do YOU know it to be right or wrong is what confuses me.

Simple, I Read the Other hockey sites as well as having Friends in the league offices in Toronto, That's how.

Avatar
#8 whyihatetheleafs
August 25 2013, 07:38PM
Trash it!
6
trashes
Props
1
props
Steve Dangle wrote:

Yeah and that may be right or wrong. How do YOU know it to be right or wrong is what confuses me.

I have it from a very GOOD SOURCE that you are #$###(insert your favorite expletive). Obviously everyone reading my post should be open that I maybe right or wrong about you. You see how this works but hey I'm just reporting what I heard.

Avatar
#10 Oskar Lindqvist
August 25 2013, 12:06PM
Trash it!
4
trashes
Props
2
props

@whyihatetheleafs, Don't you know Steve Dangle is all Knowing and all Seeing, and is always right!!

Avatar
#11 Bryce Kendal
August 26 2013, 12:25AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
3
props

@Steve Dangle

Mr. Dangle Its not an odd belief and here is why. You say his evidence is either a guy in the Kadri Camp or Leaf Management. Well, I am a guy in the Kadri Camp so I do know and I can tell you Nazem was not happy and for the simple fact that Mr. Alter was way off on his assumption.

You can brush me off and say I have no proof that I am apart of the Kadri Camp but if you would like to contact me directly we can chat and I can fill you in on how. I believe my email is listed in the login I created.

Avatar
#12 Kent Wilson
August 26 2013, 11:36AM
Trash it!
3
trashes
Props
3
props

I have no idea how an article where Steve Dangle more or less detailed a "he said, she said" between two other parties on twitter suddenly became a reason to attack and hate Steve Dangle.

Avatar
#13 Hamed
August 25 2013, 12:40PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
4
props

@Jeremy Ian

Right on, don't forget Bozak too. How they expect Kadri to less when he is better now and will be even more better then all those players.

Avatar
#14 Steve Dangle
August 25 2013, 04:50PM
Trash it!
2
trashes
Props
1
props
Hamed wrote:

Maybe the Leafs aren't Used to having this much talent, some teams have Cap advisors, I wonder if we do as wel..

Sure, that may be right or wrong, but how do You know this?

Avatar
#16 Jeremy Ian
August 25 2013, 11:55AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
9
props

Why doesnt Anyone ask this question to Leaf's management. You signed Clarkson and Bollard to big contracts, Knowing you would have less than $5mil to resign Both Kadri and Franson. What was this team thinking??

Avatar
#17 Colin Vince
August 25 2013, 12:26PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
6
props

Just get a deal done

Avatar
#18 jimmy
August 25 2013, 04:34PM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
2
props
Hamed wrote:

Right on, don't forget Bozak too. How they expect Kadri to less when he is better now and will be even more better then all those players.

Because Bozak was an unrestricted free agent and Kadri played well for about 30 games in a shortened year.

Avatar
#20 Rob
August 28 2013, 08:27AM
Trash it!
1
trashes
Props
1
props
Jeremy Ian wrote:

Why doesnt Anyone ask this question to Leaf's management. You signed Clarkson and Bollard to big contracts, Knowing you would have less than $5mil to resign Both Kadri and Franson. What was this team thinking??

I actually think Nonis considered the cap crunch he'd create with the signings and went ahead anyway because he figured it'd force Kadri and Franson to accept bridge contracts sooner rather than later (instead of sitting out a long while first as Subban did).

He is now "forced" to play hardball when he probably wanted to play hardball all along.

They both know they can't hold out for more because there's only so much cap space. So they'll both have to prove they deserve big money by showing they can sustain their level of play for at least one more season.

Avatar
#21 Hamed
August 25 2013, 04:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props

Maybe the Leafs aren't Used to having this much talent, some teams have Cap advisors, I wonder if we do as wel..

Avatar
#22 Justin Fisher
August 26 2013, 07:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
3
props
Bryce Kendal wrote:

Mr. Dangle Its not an odd belief and here is why. You say his evidence is either a guy in the Kadri Camp or Leaf Management. Well, I am a guy in the Kadri Camp so I do know and I can tell you Nazem was not happy and for the simple fact that Mr. Alter was way off on his assumption.

You can brush me off and say I have no proof that I am apart of the Kadri Camp but if you would like to contact me directly we can chat and I can fill you in on how. I believe my email is listed in the login I created.

Sounds legit. Must be true. No reason not to believe you, Camper.

Avatar
#23 Bryce Kendall
August 27 2013, 01:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Props
2
props

Mr. Dangle has not contacted me further proving my point written above.

Comments are closed for this article.