Oilers GM MacTavish Spotted In Toronto

Jeff Veillette (Jeffler)
February 05 2014 09:51AM

The Toronto Marlies have an 11AM home game today. Why? Because they hate logic (actually, it's a school day game, something they do a few times a season). To some, this isn't very interesting on the surface (if it is? We'll have a recap on TheLeafsNation), but a bit of an eyebrow raiser came in the form of Craig MacTavish being in attendance.

I can't tell you exactly what he's here for, but this is what we do know.

• The Marlies don't face Edmonton's AHL affiliate, the Oklahoma City Barons for another three weeks.
  • Oklahoma doesn't face San Antonio until March 2nd
  • If he's scouting a Panthers prospect, there are multiple other opportunities to see San Antonio in Canada ahead of the Trade Deadline (17th and 23rd in Hamilton, 22nd in Toronto)
  • If he's scouting a Leafs prospect, the Marlies play ten straight games at home through March 2nd.
  • With the Oilers in the middle of an Eastern road trip (Sabres/Rangers/Devils), this is a convenient time for him to check in on some players he's interested in. Given the amount of New York-based teams in the AHL, however (including games in Binghamton and Rochester tonight), it's unlikely that this is watching hockey for the sake of watching hockey.
  • The Leafs have a home game against Vancouver on Saturday night., but I don't think it's likely he's here because he plans on keeping tabs on that game as well.
  • Edmonton and Toronto don't face each other for the remainder of the season.
  • The Edmonton Oilers have five players and the head coach of the 2011/12 Marlies roster, and there's still two guys from that team wearing AHL blue and white today (Korbinian Holzer, a defensive defenseman, and Jerry D'Amigo, a utility bottom six winger).
  • The Oilers just acquired Mark Fraser from the Toronto Maple Leafs a few days ago.
  • MacTavish has been a regular at Ricoh Coliseum for several years, even as his role and employers changed.

What does this mean? I couldn't tell you for certain. But it's a thing that happened, if nothing else.

7cb905bdffc4d09e93770ff4a1889462
I bring news about the Toronto Marlies, opinions about the Toronto Maple Leafs, and a bunch of ridiculous thoughts about everything else.
#51 LOIL99
February 05 2014, 01:39PM
Reg Dunlop wrote:

Sounds like D'Amigo would tantalize Mac. I have never heard of an 80 year old ex-linesman making a comeback as a role player though.

Another possibility is that the Marlies are giving out bogus MBA degrees during the intermission. Can never have too many of those.

Why would he go all the way to T.O. for another degree? His first one was completed online, why not the 2nd?

#52 Zarny
February 05 2014, 01:40PM
Harlie wrote:

Oh really now? So your saying that every GM goes and looks at every single player he trades for? So what happens during trade deadline and multiple trades? The GM was secretly visiting and watching 10 players in advance or was it his Scouts?

C'mon man, these guys have Scout teams that this is their job to provide the data and information for the GM to make a decision.

Lastly, you tellin me that a GM watching one game is enough of a sample size to make a trade?

And yes, I guess I missed the memo on Gardiner. Thanks for scouting that out for me. Maybe I'll fly to Toronto and ask someone about the memo face to face to make sure it's a good deal first before I decide if it is or not.

No Harlie, GM's don't literally look at every single player they trade for. Don't be obtuse.

But key players and big trades? Absolutely. GM's and assistant GM's are always seen in the stands watching other teams leading up to the trade deadline.

I didn't say GM's ignore or don't listen to their scouts; but they certainly aren't their only source of info.

And no one game isn't likely enough. Of course, this isn't the first Marlies game MacT has been to now is it.

#53 40 Double D (tier 1 in waiting)
February 05 2014, 01:46PM

Our AHL team will soon be complete!

#54 Harlie
February 05 2014, 01:50PM
Zarny wrote:

You remind me of Tambellini in your ability to talk but have nothing of substance to say.

So on one hand you state "Any GM who relies solely on other people to form his opinions and fails to take a look at an asset he might acquire in person should be fired on the spot."

And then you come back and say "No Harlie, GM's don't literally look at every single player they trade for."

So I guess I'm the obtuse one as I can't figure out which statement you stand behind??

Be better Zarny.

#55 whichonespink
February 05 2014, 04:34PM

He's here to take a look at Holzer. Eakens relied on Hozer a lot while he was with the Marlies. My guess, he's looking to poach a Dman or two.

#56 Joy S. Lee
February 05 2014, 04:56PM

I hope he's looking at one of Brad Ross, Tyler Biggs, or Jerry D'Amigo. They're the only ones who intrigue me out of that group, but I won't make any sort of claim to know all of them, either. My perspective is very limited, but I like the 3 I mentioned.

Hope the cost isn't too high, is all, since none has been able to crack the NHL yet, either, and the Leafs aren't exactly flying high these days. (Which makes a trade that much more feasible...neither team is getting it done.)

#57 Joy S. Lee
February 05 2014, 05:08PM
David S wrote:

[UPDATE] Undocumented souces report Oilers GM Craig MacTavish was spotted ordering coffee from McDonalds this morning instead of his regular haunt, Tim Hortons.

Follow details and analysis of this stunning revelation throughout the day at TSN.ca, your exclusive source for all that matters leading up to this year's trade deadline.

Not to be negative nelly, but man, you are becoming like the advertising mogul. Your postings consistently represent a business or product that the Oilers are flaunting...did you get a promotion? Kickbacks?

Well, nicely done. Good luck in your new role.

#58 STAN
February 05 2014, 05:14PM

I'm certain Mac was misquoted when he said he would "make bold moves". I heard from the usually unreliable sources that he said "make Broll moves" or perhaps "make Bodie moves".

#59 Joy S. Lee
February 05 2014, 05:16PM
40 Double D (tier 1 in waiting) wrote:

Our AHL team will soon be complete!

Actually, not so fast. They have a ways to go there, too, not kidding.

You'll recall, some of Kevin Lowe's earlier moves included having shared farm teams. Before that, no farm team at all.

No doubt this reflects the sheer genius of the man with 6 rings. Who needs a farm team, anyway?

Ok, I'm being sarcastic. The farm team is one of the most important things a team has, and we all know it. MacT knew it when he started trading down for more picks last year, too. Long way to go just yet...won't be finished until every player on the team is a truly potential call-up. At least that would be my gauge.

#60 40 Double D
February 05 2014, 07:18PM
Joy S. Lee wrote:

Actually, not so fast. They have a ways to go there, too, not kidding.

I was sarcastically referring to our current NHL team as the AHL team.

#61 Spydyr
February 05 2014, 07:23PM

I'm hoping he was asking the Marlies if they would like Eakins back.No charge.

#62 David S
February 05 2014, 07:50PM
Joy S. Lee wrote:

Well, nicely done. Good luck in your new role.

What? It was just a jo...

Ohhhh...nevermind.

#63 Brian
February 05 2014, 10:04PM
Harlie wrote:

Uh .... We are talking about Oiler pro scouts. That's why MacT is there .

#64 STAN
February 05 2014, 11:22PM

PLEASE. PLEASE. PLEASE.

Let this be Mac fishing for the other guys he'll need in a package that sends Clarkson to Edmonton.

#65 john
February 06 2014, 03:13AM
STAN wrote:

PLEASE. PLEASE. PLEASE.

Are you serious? Clarkson has been a bust over here in Toronto, over pay and had a few suspensions already. He has 9 points in 37 games and -5 for the season. Gagner has 23 points in 45 games (missed some games with broken jaws) and -20 for the season, the fans there run him out of town. WOW that's why no UFA want to come to Edmonton. Oilers fans never happy with what they have, Oilers need a real coach, Eakins is ruining the team and players confidence there.

#66 VK63
February 06 2014, 08:01AM

Is the Zanzibar still a thing in T dot?

#67 TigerUnderGlass
February 06 2014, 09:33AM

@Joy S. Lee

Is this a serious comment?

#68 Frameworth Sport Marketing
February 07 2014, 08:49AM

Frameworth is hosting a Public Signing with 6 Toronto Maple Leaf Players including Bernier, Bozak, and Rielly on February 22nd 2014. Check out Frameworth.com for details.