An anecdote involving an umbrella

Cam Charron
May 08 2014 08:40PM

Despite having lived in Vancouver nearly all my life, I don't actually own a waterproof jacket that's suitable for spring weather. I mostly wear out my cotton hoodies quickly, and avoid walking outside in a downpour.

My girlfriend, knowing it rains a lot here, has left an extra cheap umbrella at my apartment, and urges me to use it for those days where it's too warm for my bulky, winter waterproof coat. Today was one such day. Upon leaving my place to go cross-town, she reminded me the forecast called for rain and I may as well grab the umbrella. I looked out the window. "Why?" I asked. "I can see the sun peeking out of the clouds. There are no dark rain clouds."

For a while I looked smart. I didn't have a bulky umbrella to carry, and was able to check my phone to see the news and reaction to Randy Carlyle's two-year extension this afternoon unimpeded. We arrived at our destination without a drop of rain. How smart did I look at that point, and how silly was my girlfriend, who had lugged around her umbrella for nothing.

Upon leaving, I felt a rain drop. Then another. Then another. Then it began pouring. My walking companion not only had her umbrella, but a light jacket with a hood as well. Being a generous sort, she let me huddle under her umbrella. I was able to stay mostly dry until we got back to my apartment, but really, how could I have been so stupid and not taken a light piece of fabric to keep me dry throughout the day? The forecast did call for rain and I blithely ignored the forecast because I could see sun poking out. One would think the lesson I would learn from this is that conditions worsen, and ultimately, those with the most control are the most responsible for the situation. He who ignores the weather forecast is the most likely to get caught out in the rain. And he will be rained on, and he will get wet, and he will feel silly for this having happened.

But the real moral of the story is that my cotton clothes should have been more accountable. They did a terrible job keeping me dry.

I think the excuses people are drawing out for the Leafs holding on to Carlyle are ridiculous, and I hope those people get rained on. You can find our reaction from Dangle, Steven, and Bobby Cappuccino. I wrote 'Randy and Jake' yesterday, on the fallacy of Carlyle's preference for safe defencemen. I expect to be able to run Part 2 of that post Saturday.

63811cbf517d2d685ea09e103488ea3a
Cam Charron is a BC hockey fan that writes about hockey on many different websites including this one.
#1 Bobby Cappuccino
May 08 2014, 09:53PM

Love this.

#2 PopsTwitTar
May 08 2014, 10:01PM

haha. great stuff.

#3 PositiveDrinking
May 08 2014, 10:34PM

Beautiful

#4 LeafsWantStanley
May 08 2014, 10:51PM

That was a cute little story. :)

#5 ACMESalesRep
May 08 2014, 11:36PM

Well-played, sir. Well-played. (And I'm very glad I thought to take an umbrella this morning. Ye gods, did it come down once it started.)

#6 Greg
May 09 2014, 03:59AM

When it rains, it pours.

#7 jjd1
May 09 2014, 06:00AM

I am on the fence about Carlyle...but think that a Kirk Muller may be in line for the assistant coaches mantle...as for the players...can you trade Kessel...hope so...remember Vince Carter....put up a lot of points but can't win with no character....do you think Boston was foolish??...how about Lupal ....another one along with Phaneuf that were traded away....and they thought they had pulled off the biggest heist since the Esposito trade....character is what great teams are built on....too many of our main people...or the people that Carlyle plays 25 min per game.....have none and it shows...another year wasted unless something is changed....

#8 Tim
May 09 2014, 07:57AM

jjd1 are you joking or trolling?

oh look at your neon colored hair, you are a troll!

you silly little doll!

#9 leaferfan
May 09 2014, 08:28AM

The umbrella story is a false dichotomy. Carlyle is a poor coach. And the players also need to be held accountable. And sometimes you ignore the rain forecast and enjoy a nice day while your friend is lugging storm gear and pissing about why they carried it with them.

Said differently you need to focus on the complete reality and not just the part about Carlyle sucking.

#10 BCLeafFan
May 09 2014, 08:58AM

The sun just came out. I tee off at 10. The Blue Jays are winning. Life is good. What Leafs??

#11 A random fan
May 09 2014, 10:52AM

Cam, you're one of my favourite hockey writers out there. Please never stop.

#12 Back in Black
May 09 2014, 12:10PM

@leaferfan

Yeah, Cam, you may want us to think that your only options were to bring the umbrella or leave it at home, but we can see through your deception. FALSE DICHOTOMY! THERE WAS A THIRD OPTION, CAM!

Um, see, I think it's that you could have bought a new umbrella part way through your day, when it actually started to rain. Best of both worlds, I guess, except you would have gotten a little wet by the time you got to the store, and you would have found yourself paying for two coaches - I mean umbrellas! - and the new one wouldn't be your first choice, just the one that was available when you needed it. So maybe the third option wasn't the best after all.

#13 shasan22
May 09 2014, 02:34PM

When it rains it pours and poor leaf fans are given pictures of umbrellas to look at and told "its not actually raining, according to our in house stats it may have rained a few drops but it was on the outskirts of the city not downtown."