What are the odds?: Draft prospect Michael Bunting

Steve Dangle
June 27 2014 12:37AM

Hey everyone! Steve "Dangle" Glynn here. I'll be in Philadelphia with Canucks Army overlord Dimitri Filipovic for this year's NHL Entry Draft! We'll be gathering lots of content, some team specific and some that everyone can enjoy, so I hope you like it! I'm not in Philly just yet but I wanted to get a head start with interviews of some of this year's draft prospects. Thanks for reading!

He may not be a potential first round pick. In fact, seeing him get picked on day one of the draft at all would be well off the board by almost all accounts. That doesn't matter. Michael Bunting is easily one of the most fascinating prospect in this year's draft, if not the most unlikely.

Having just been drafted by the Ontario Hockey League's Soo St. Marie Greyhounds as a 17-year-old kid from Scarborough just one year ago, Bunting is a projected second to fourth round pick in this year's NHL Entry Draft. He even turned heads at this year's NHL Draft Combine by crushing one of the most key physical tests. All this from a kid who played double AA instead of triple AAA because it was too expensive.

Here's my interview with Michael Bunting.

You didn't play Triple-AAA until last year because it's too expensive. If you don't mind me asking, what's the price difference between Double-AA and Triple-AAA these days.

It's definitely a couple thousand, for sure. Triple-AAA was at least $5,000 and I think Double-AA was $2,500 or $3,000 so there was a huge difference in what I was paying.

When you were playing Double-AA was there ever a point where you thought 'I should be in Triple-AAA. I smoke these guys!' or 'I know I can earn it."?

Well in my Minor Midget year and Midget year I definitely had the thought that I should hop up and play Triple-AAA because I had a few Triple-AAA teams wanting me to play. The thing was I had a really close core of friends who were on my Double-AA team and I really enjoyed the coaches I was with. I knew 'If I stay here I don't have to pay as much money, I'll have good coaches, I'll have good friends, and I'll still have fun playing hockey.
Screen shot 2014-06-27 at 2.10.33 AM

I looked through Bunting's Twitter for a fun picture to use. I was not disappointed (he's on the right).

Fun is kind of important I guess.

Yeah. That's what helped me out, for sure. I played hockey for fun. I did it as an extra activity and I enjoyed doing it. I think that if I was playing maybe a higher level that whole time and, you know, trying to make it a business I'd definitely have a different mindset going into every single game that I have now. Like I now think of hockey as - yes it can be my lifestyle but I also love playing the game. I just really love playing the game.

In other words, while you have a passion for the sport, you do have a life outside of it, and you understand that.

I think that definitely helped me because a lot of kids growing up, all they had, I guess their parents put it into their head 'You need to do this for hockey, you need to do that, that, that.' Then a lot of kids, when they get older, get sick of the game, right? Because it's all they've been doing is hockey, hockey, hockey. So I feel that with the path that I had - I played hockey, I loved it, and I also had a life out of it when I was younger. It kept my priorities straight and I still love the game, and maybe some other kids that were just focussed on hockey kind of fell off of it.

What are something the things you did, or still do, outside of hockey?

I play ball hockey, for my high school I played badminton, tennis, volleyball, and baseball. I did a lot of sports and I won athlete of the year three years in a row for my high school (Cardinal Newman). I did a lot of other sports, too.

It sounds like you were "that guy" in your high school, the guy who played every single sport. What was your favourite high school athletic memory?

When we went to OFSAA (Ontario Federation of School Athletic Associations) for hockey we won it all. We won the whole city in Toronto and then went over to Brampton to play in OFSAA, that was definitely the best moment for me.

You've been through a huge jump in the past year. What was your first OHL season like this year?

It was unbelievable. This was the year of my life, really. I enjoyed it so much. With the whole Soo Greyhounds staff and organization - they helped me out. They knew definitely where I came from my development might be a little bit different from others. Sheldon Keefe, the head coach, definitely took his time to make sure that everything was right on track. Director of Player Development Wes Clark always made sure that I was on track and I knew what was going on. They just really helped my game improve substantially, for sure. They brought me to a new level so this year was definitely, definitely the greatest hockey year I've ever had.

Fast-forwarding to this year's draft, what was your reaction to discovering you beat everybody at the NHL Draft Combine at the VO2 max?

I didn't believe that. I remember I was driving home, I was on the highway, and I got a call from Wes Clark from player development. He's like "How do you think you did on the VO2 max?" I said "I felt good after I finished it. I think I did pretty well." He's like "Well, uh, you came first" and I was shocked like "No way!" He's like "Yeah, you came first out of everyone." It was a really good feeling knowing that all my hard work that I put in after the season paid off.

Here's an example of the VO2 Max test that Bunting aced. Toward the end it just looks like torture.

It's even more amazing because you suffered an MCL injury on your left leg this season. I doubt there are any issues after a performance like that, but let me ask - how's the knee?

Haha yeah. That was one of the main questions every team was asking me. Every team I interviewed with, that was like the first question that they asked. It's doing fine. It's right back to normal. It's definitely a little bit weaker but obviously it takes time to strengthen it and that's what I've been doing all summer long. I've been working out without the brace now so yeah, it's improving everyday. I don't think I'll be wearing a brace in this year coming up.

Who helped you feel welcome in the OHL?

With the Greyhounds, we had a really close group. We didn't have those cliques on our team. Everyone was really close, so I felt like I really belonged once I hit the dressing room. Everyone was very supportive if you had a bad game, like everyone made sure you were max pumped up again. Feeling like I belonged in the OHL was really quick for me, so hopefully at the next step it's that easy, as well.

Is it almost easier for you going through the NHL Draft this year given that you just went through the OHL Draft last year?

I guess it definitely gives me a little thought of how it all works. Going through the OHL draft the year I got drafted I didn't know where I was going, because I was two years later. I was a '95 going in a '97 so I had no idea. It's kind of similar to how it is now in the NHL Draft. I don't know where I'm going to end up and I really just have to sit and wait patiently until I hear my name. They're definitely similar.

People have been saying maybe second round, maybe third, maybe fourth. Do you care at this point?

No. If I get picked by anyone, anywhere, even if it's the last pick of the draft, I'm going to be ecstatic. You know, where I came from, everything from now on is just a bonus and all I want to do now is prove I belong and I deserve to be where I am.

6b6884e175cda86e6828bab0537236ad
#1 Reg Dunlop
June 27 2014, 12:48AM
cheers

I have to say that I'm glad that I didn't invest any of my precious remaining time left on this earth reading the above tome. At any rate, is it a coincidence that a pre-draft article by 'Dangle' appears on ON prior to the oil possibly selecting the Deutchland Dangle? I think not.

#2 RyanCoke
June 27 2014, 12:49AM
cheers

And with the 3rd overall pick the edmonton oilers proudly select from the Soo St. Marie Greyhounds... Michael Bunting...

#3 CP
June 27 2014, 01:08AM
cheers

Great article Steve. Even though I'm not a leafs fan, I love watching your videos.

#4 Mason Storm
June 27 2014, 03:12AM
Reg Dunlop wrote:

How can you possibly know you're glad you didn't read something if you didn't read it? That's just a ridiculous statement. Be better.

#5 ONTARIO OILERS FAN
June 27 2014, 04:30AM
cheers

How about Phaneuf, Leafs 38 pick for our #3 pick?

From hockeybuzz.com: "Dion Phaneuf - The Toronto Maple Leafs have been talking with a handful of teams about Phaneuf in hopes of moving up in the draft. The latest rumor I keep hearing is the Oilers and Leafs discussing a deal that would send Dion and the number 8 pick to the Edmonton Oilers for the number 3 pick. Then moving the number 3 pick with another player for the number 1 pick to take Ekblad."

I'd pull the trigger if I'm MacT

#6 ONTARIO OILERS FAN
June 27 2014, 04:31AM
ONTARIO OILERS FAN wrote:

How about Phaneuf, Leafs 38 pick for our #3 pick?

I'd pull the trigger if I'm MacT

Sorry for type... Leafs #3 pick versus 38 pick

#7 pelhem grenville
June 27 2014, 06:56AM
cheers

...oh my how in the world did this get on this site...did you extort Wanye?...did you tell him you'd publish those pictures of him wearing his velcro gloves holding down that goat? your story hook is 3rd or 4th round pick michael bunting? at least you're in the right city Philly... don't forget to get to Geno's to get a Philly Cheese Steak ... best at 3a.m. after a hundred beers...

#8 Benjamin
June 27 2014, 07:35AM

@Reg Dunlop and pelhem grenville

Heaven forbid we should hear about someone who actually has a life outside of hockey, and has still excelled in spite of it.

Thanks for the article Steve.

#9 PB
June 27 2014, 07:41AM
cheers

Great and interesting article on someone other than the inevitable top-10 picks. Nice to see what some of the other kids attitudes about hockey, life and the draft might be. People ragging on this article are morons. That's right, we should only ever hear about fantasy trades and the potential of those top-of-the-draft can't miss prospects.

#10 HardBoiledOil
June 27 2014, 07:42AM
RyanCoke wrote:

not likely now that Kevin Pendergast isn't head scout anymore.

#11 HardBoiledOil
June 27 2014, 07:43AM
ONTARIO OILERS FAN wrote:

How about Phaneuf, Leafs 38 pick for our #3 pick?

I'd pull the trigger if I'm MacT

how about "no"....

#12 Dan 1919
June 27 2014, 08:19AM
ONTARIO OILERS FAN wrote:

How about Phaneuf, Leafs 38 pick for our #3 pick?

I'd pull the trigger if I'm MacT

Sounds far fetched and as good as Eckblad "sounds," they desperately need a centre. Check it out, http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/24/edmonton-oilers. They literally have RNH who should be developing in the 2C roll and nothing else.

Gagner's lack of commitment to defence and team play has really set this rebuild back. Hopefully he grows up a little this year and realizes he's never going to be the skilled top NHL center man he thinks he will be and would be far more effective playing a complete team game.

I'd like to say trade him but there'd be so little value in that they'd probably be better off keeping him on the team and healthy scratching him when he decides to get blown off the puck by a strong wind then not back check. Use him as the accountability example instead of Yak this year.

#13 Zarny
June 27 2014, 08:45AM
pelhem grenville wrote:

It takes a small man...

#14 Zarny
June 27 2014, 08:46AM
Reg Dunlop wrote:

And you are just stupid.

#15 -30-
June 27 2014, 09:09AM
cheers

WTF? Huh? This is filler nothing more.

#16 RyanCoke
June 27 2014, 09:19AM
cheers

Speaking of the draft, we are almost guaranteed not getting Ekblad. Buffalo spilled the beans that they expect ekblad to go first so they will just select the next player on there list. That means they have him at number 1. If florida passes on Ekblad then buffalo will take him for sure. We are getting a center

#17 Great One
June 27 2014, 09:59AM

@RyanCoke

I think we're in need of a center more than a D-man. Just need to be patient with Marincin, Klefbom, and Nurse. Still have Gernat in the AHL as well.

#18 Will
June 27 2014, 10:04AM
ONTARIO OILERS FAN wrote:

How about Phaneuf, Leafs 38 pick for our #3 pick?

I'd pull the trigger if I'm MacT

Isn't it telling though that an organization is willing to send a player away all in the name of being able to package the return for another player just to get a player Edmonton is within a shot of?

#19 ubermiguel
June 27 2014, 10:09AM
cheers

Nice change of pace from the constant Bennett/Ekblad/Reinhart/Draisaitl talk. It's sad to hear that players have to choose their leagues and development paths due to high costs. Hockey has changed a lot since the days when a frozen Saskatchewan slough was the centre of your development.

#20 Kent Wilson
June 27 2014, 10:10AM
cheers

Steve will be filing stories from the ground in Philly across the Nations. If you don't have any interest in the player in question, please don't fill the comments section with missives about how uninterested you are.

Gathering source material is hard work and some of us appreciate the effort - even when he's talking to someone aside from Ekblad or Reinhart.

#21 Quicksilver ballet
June 27 2014, 10:10AM
cheers

The kid certainly appears comfortable in his own skin. Good on him for choosing his own path and making it this far.

You've earned this Micheal Bunting. Enjoy the weekend.

#22 pelhem grenville
June 27 2014, 11:48AM
cheers

OK ... I'll be a bigger man ...from now on!

EDIT>>>don't forget Geno's !!!

#24 TGT23
June 28 2014, 03:22AM

@pelhem grenville

Because what the site needs is to add another story about Ekblad or one of the other Top 3 picks that have been covered to death.

Parish the thought someone other than Reinhart or Bennett might have an interesting story to be told!