WE WANT YOU

Steve Dangle
July 12 2014 04:06PM

IMG_4746

A few questions for you...

1) Are you a smart and opinionated hockey fan?

2) Do you want to write about hockey on a major platform?

3) Have you ever read something about the Leafs and thought 'I could write better than this idiot,' maybe even on this very site?

Do we have the thing for you!

WHAT IS IT?

Ever seen those shows like American Idol, Top Chef, or Next Top Model? Well for a lack of a better name (I'm trying to think of one but my brain stinks) we want to have a TheLeafsNation.com "Next Top Blogger."

The plan is simple: Anyone interested is welcome to apply to write for our site. We will sift through the applications and the best ones will compete against each other for a spot as one of the authors on this site.

HOW DO YOU COMPETE?

The rules aren't official yet but the plan is to assign a series of posts to the finalists to write. For each post, readers will get to vote on which candidate wrote the strongest piece on that topic. At the end of it all, the writers and the readers of this site will crown a new Voice of the Nation.

WHAT DO I GET IF I WIN?

Most sports writers will tell you that if you're getting into the business for the money then you're going to be very disappointed. Those sports writers will then tell you "LOL at least I'm not a blogger!" After punting that writer in the stones I can happily tell you that besides becoming a regular contributer on the site, the winner will receive a $200 CDN cash prize. That's better than a punt in the stones, right?

SHOULD I APPLY?

That depends. Do you want to talk about the Toronto Maple Leafs and hockey in general? Do you want to publish your content on a platform that reaches millions of readers every month? Are you willing and able to write at very least two posts per week? If you answered yes to all of those things then that's a great start.

WHAT DO I NEED TO APPLY?

Don't send us your resume. That demeans the both of us. Really? A resume for a blogging job? No. We won't do that to you. Let's have some fun with this.

Instead of a resume, just write a quick one-pager on why you'd be great, relevant hockey/writing experience you have, and anything else you think is important or interesting. On top of that, try adding at least a couple of writing samples. Don't aim for super formal stuff from when you reported on a track meet for your high school paper. If you don't have any samples or you're not happy with the samples you already have - just write something!

This is important to mention, too: It's not just about writing. We're looking for all sorts of things that will make this site even more awesome. Wanna do videos like me? Go for it. Want to upload a podcast? Go for it? Are you good at cool or funny GIFs, cartoons, or photoshop? Go for it! It doesn't have to be all text. Good content is good content and we want it in any form you can make it.

HOW DO I APPLY?

No sweat! You have tons of time. My wedding is next weekend and I'm in no rush. The contest won't begin until at least early to mid August. I mean, unless you're reading this and it's already August then you should probably hurry up. We will set up an email and I will tweet it out when it's all up and running. In the meantime just figure out what you want to put in the application.

That's all there is for now, folks. The opportunity is there if you want it.

6b6884e175cda86e6828bab0537236ad
#1 ppp@hotmail.com
July 12 2014, 04:10PM

I nominate skinny to do another hatchet job on simmons. Best reading always

#2 fogNL
July 12 2014, 05:04PM

I often think "I could wrote better than this idiot", then I watch your YouTube videos and listen to your podcasts and think "Nope, this idiot knows what he's talking about".

I vote that Sean McIndoe joins the leafs network. He not only writes the top hockey humour blog on the planet, but is amazing on semi-serious commentary on XM and other radio stations.

Steve Dangle + DownGoesBrown would be like the Mega Powers without Elizabeth.... "This thing can go all the way to the stratosphere man"

#3 SteinS
July 12 2014, 05:12PM

Age limit? Also, could we just write a hockey-related post and submit that?

#5 @ammarhussain96
July 12 2014, 05:27PM

Dangle's picture looks like the Uncle Sam Poster asking people to join the War, some of those people died. So if you put the dots together....

#6 SteinS
July 12 2014, 05:35PM
Steve Dangle wrote:

I don't see a reason for an age requirement, no.

We're going to be sticking to one application formula. If you mean you'd rather write about Evander Kane instead of a Leafs story then that's fine but I'd personally prefer you write Leafs for obvious reasons.

Awesome. Alright, I'll keep that in mind (I think I just misread the post regarding the submission). Thanks!

#7 JDM
July 12 2014, 06:20PM

"3) Have you ever read something about the Leafs and thought 'I could write better than this idiot,'

In other words, "have you ever read anything authored by Steve Simmons or Damien Cox?"

#8 WHICKONESPINK
July 12 2014, 06:46PM
JDM wrote:

Or hear them speak! Especially Cox.

#9 ?
July 12 2014, 07:39PM
JDM wrote:

ZING!!

Btw, congrats Dangle :)

#10 cringle mccringleberry
July 12 2014, 11:20PM

Stevey poo!!!! can I talk about Lebron!!? Just got word from Dreger

#13 Wetcoaster
July 13 2014, 01:38AM

How come Hat Guy isn't a regular contributor?

#14 TruthObserver
July 13 2014, 08:57AM

@ppp@hotmail.com

SkinnyFish is by far the least talented writer on the PPP staff. Anybody but him please.

#16 Malcolm88
July 13 2014, 07:52PM

I don't really understand what to include in the one page. Can you go into a bit more further detail? Should it just be writing samples?

#18 Skinny
July 14 2014, 09:38AM

I can't possibly be as bad at this as Jeffler is. When do I start?

#19 Gumby
July 14 2014, 10:21AM

Now, this could get interesting.

#21 Thee Optimist
July 14 2014, 04:52PM

I would like to submit a 1000 page thesis on why anyone who entertains the idea of Steven Stamkos being a Leaf in 2016 should never be allowed to discuss hockey. Will this suffice?