Leafs Sign Daniel Winnik

Jeff Veillette (Jeffler)
July 28 2014 01:05PM

The summer of depth continues, with the Toronto Maple Leafs adding yet another bottom six signing. This time, it's 29 year old local boy Daniel Winnik, who has signed a one year deal with the team worth $1.3 million.

Winnik is coming off of a career year with the Ducks, where he put up six goals and twenty four assists in 76 games. These are also his best numbers to date when adjusted for ice time, scoring 1.68 points per 60 minutes at even strength. Notably, that's a higher number than Joffrey Lupul, along with it being higher than any forward the Leafs let walk away this offseason. However, sheltered minutes probably have a lot to do with that, seeing as he was far from Anaheim's only scoring option and still played just fifteen and a half minutes per night.

While his possession numbers last year were lower than usual (48.0 CF%, -2.8% relative), Winnik typically has been ahead of the curve compared to his teammates, posting positive relative numbers in the three years prior. This is despite being used in shutdown situations; his highest offensive Zone Start percentage in the past four years is 48.3%, which would be high on a team like Toronto, but was -3.7% on last year's Ducks.

Beyond the "fancy stats", Winnik is an imposing body at 6'2, 213 pounds. Originally drafted by Phoenix in the 9th round of the 2004 Entry Draft, he clawed his way into the NHL, eventually making his debut with the Coyotes as a 22 year old in 2007/08. In between there and Anaheim, Winnik also spent a year and a half in Colorado before being rented by the San Jose Sharks.

One of the biggest benefits in his style of play is that he's familiar with multiple positions. Given the current depth, it's likely that we'll see him on Left Wing, but he can also fill in at Centre in the event of injury. He's also a good player to have around for special teams, having previously been heavily relied on by all of his teams to play on the penalty kill. If he plays like he did last year, he wont' be the one sending you to that kill either - he drew 7 more penalties than he took in 2013/14.

At the price tag, it's hard not to take a chance on a player like him. The Leafs now effectively have five lines of players who can play hockey and won't eat up much (if any) salary if sent to the AHL. This should create some interesting competition in training camp, keep the Marlies somewhat competitive, and most importantly, turn the enforcer role in Toronto into a near-extinct species.

7cb905bdffc4d09e93770ff4a1889462
I bring news about the Toronto Marlies, opinions about the Toronto Maple Leafs, and a bunch of ridiculous thoughts about everything else.
#1 CMpuck
July 28 2014, 01:19PM

Lots of plugs to trade at the deadline.

#2 SteinS
July 28 2014, 01:25PM

From Siegel:

Frattin, Clarkson, Komarov, Holland, Booth, Winnik, Santorelli, Bodie, Kontiola, Ashton (Orr?) positioning for 7 FWD spots.

My picks would be Clarkson, Kontiola, Komarov, Santorelli, EDIT: Holland, Winnik, and Booth in some combination, with replacements readily available in case of injuries/cold streaks (although I would really like to fit Holland in there somehow (perhaps replacing Winnik?).

All these one year deals though...I hope we don't have to let go of too many of these guys next year. I guess this year is somewhat like a "tryout" for them all: the good players have their contracts renewed, the bad ones walk.

Also, I'm wondering if there's a trade coming? Either the Marlies have NHL talent cycling through them, or we get rid of some of these guys for other pieces.

#3 Rob
July 28 2014, 02:00PM

@SteinS

"My picks would be Clarkson, Kontiola, Komarov, Santorelli, Clarkson, Winnik, and Booth..."

Wait... you want TWO Clarksons?!?!

#4 leaferfan
July 28 2014, 02:34PM

Nonis and Carlyle are continuing the problems of - not freeing up spots for marlies and young players - trading away young players instead of losing them on waivers (i.e like colbourne last year). - poor asset management. I was hoping that Loiselle was the problem but it seems they haven't nipped the cap and roster problems yet as they will have far too many players signed to SPC contracts which limits their flexibilty.

#5 SteinS
July 28 2014, 04:08PM

@Rob

Oops, I didn't even want to put ONE Clarkson. There's the spot for Holland, hopefully.

#6 whichonespink
July 28 2014, 04:31PM
leaferfan wrote:

Unless someone like Lupul is on his way out, that was the rumor on Jul 1st. Pitt I believe. It wouldn't hurt to restock the 2,3,4 round picks we've traded away, plus lose some salary. I'm with you, I want to see a couple of Marlies crack the lineup out of camp.

#7 m@
July 28 2014, 05:38PM

JVR -Bozak-Kessel Booth-Kari-Lupul Komarov-Holland-Clarkson Winnik-Santorelli-Frattin Kontiola

Lots of moving parts here.. but definitely an improvement.

#8 Gardiner-Reilly
July 28 2014, 07:22PM

@m@

I believe that Kontiola will make the team. He certainly has the skills (as shown in international play).

#9 m@
July 28 2014, 08:02PM

@Gardiner-Reilly

I do think he will make the team.. that's why I had him on my team. I put him in as the 13th - but I think he's the perfect 13th..

At this point he's in a fight with Bodie and Ashton.. but his versatility gets him in.

Also.. may be more moves to come.

#10 Lupul4Captain
July 29 2014, 09:12AM

Leafs need to trade to get a top 6 winger , they have top 3 then all bottom 6 guys

#11 Ryan
July 29 2014, 11:03AM
Lupul4Captain wrote:

I wouldn't call Kadri or Lupul "bottom-six" guys at all. I'm ready to bite my tongue on Lupul (we'll see), but Kadri is a 2C on nearly any team.

#12 Gardiner-Reilly
July 29 2014, 11:57AM

@Ryan

Lupul is definitely op six quality. He had an off year last year and probably would have gotten 50 points anyway if not for injury.