Bye bye Bozak?

Ryan Fancey
August 20 2014 09:24AM

If you've been around these parts before, you're quite familiar with the Tyler Bozak debate: Is he really helping Kessel on that top line? Hurting him? Does it really matter? Leafs fans have been arguing about it for a couple years now, and there have been a lot of words written here and on other sites exploring just how effective their on-ice relationship really is. Here's one example.

The analytics side of the debate has not been friendly to Bozak, but now the Leafs have suddenly become friendly with analytics, so where does that leave us?

Here's a snippet from David Johnson (HockeyAnalysis.com) looking at the past three years of that top line in his Introduction to Advanced Statistics:

• Bozak when playing with Kessel had a 46.8 CF% and 51.9 GF%.
  • Bozak when not playing with Kessel had a 32.9 CF% and 38.2 GF%
  • Kessel when not playing with Bozak had a 46.1 CF% and 50.0 GF%
In short, Bozak was terrible when not playing with Kessel while Kessel performed about the same when not playing with Bozak. This is clear evidence that Bozak was dependent on Kessel (along with Lupul and/or van Riemsdyk) and not the other way around.

There are players in the NHL getting somewhat of a free ride, and it's been shown time and time again. Their numbers get fluffed because of their linemates, and as a result, they get contracts they probably don't deserve. It happens far too often, but this type of thing will likely dwindle in the near future as teams are more exposed to data suggesting who's really helping who. But before teams league-wide start looking in to this more heavily, right now might be the perfect time for the Leafs to get out from under another four years of overpaying Bozak.

There's a section of Leafs supporters who take issue with the Bozak debate as if it's something personal. I'm not trashing Tyler Bozak. I don't dislike him, and I don't have any reason to suggest his departure other than improving the roster and hopefully opening up some cap space. I'll even go as far as to say it's nice that he's often there to steer some of the media attention away from his buddy Phil, who clearly hates dealing with it. Maybe it helped get Kessel locked up long term, who knows? But there are others on the team capable of the same (Lupul, for example) and now that they have their star in the mix for the next eight years, it should be time for the Leafs to fix the mistake that was giving Bozak that huge contract.

Bozak is coming off his best season points-wise. His 49 points in 58 games puts him in some ridiculous company in terms of points-per-game (0.85), which includes a few names like Stastny, Hossa, Parise, and Datsyuk. Is Bozak as talented as anyone on this list? Of course not, and I doubt anyone is arguing that. Though, while I don't put a ton of stock in production, there are a lot of teams who have, and will, fall into the trap of believing a player's output is repeatable without digging in to it enough to see who's really driving the bus. If this wasn't the case, we wouldn't constantly scratch our heads when July 1st rolls around.

As mentioned above, with this analytics movement we're seeing, this may be coming to an end soon, and things will tighten up. The time to pawn Bozak off on some unenlightened manager should be now. The stars have aligned, but there likely a tiny window to make this kind of deal.

I'll admit, when it comes down to it, the Leafs' top six isn't something that worried me as much as the bottom two lines or the defence, or even Carlyle's ridiculous "system" that will likely see them get buried all season again. But that isn't a reason to hold on to Bozak.  It's in the team's best interest to get as much value from these contracts as possible under a hard cap, and when you can sell high, you sell high.  After all, there are others there who can step in.

It's been suggested (well, I did a quick twitter poll) that the Leafs would have trouble moving Bozak in just a straight salary dump, and that might be true. They would probably need to take back expensive spare parts. The question is, how do you trade spare parts for someone else's spare parts and come out ahead? The idea, quite simply, is to close the gap in terms of talent and cap hit, and perhaps try to shed term. If the Leafs can work something out and bring in a player deemed slightly overpaid on a shorter deal who can drive play, the team will be better off for it. Anything beyond that could improve the team quite drastically. It's up to the guys in charge to figure out who to target, and these days they certainly have the tools to do that. Now it's on them to take advantage of this short time to move out a player that clearly presents an inefficiency in their lineup.

8cea4e8f4ec20c8718c64e8b5900cd19
Good thing the Leafs don't play in the Corsi Hockey League, since that'd be two leagues they're awful in. Email ryanfancey at gmail dot com or follow @rfan_3.
#51 Gumby
August 21 2014, 01:30PM
Gumby wrote:

Where are all the morons who have been saying Bozak is a first line center, sure, first line, sniffing stuff.

Posting under everyone's name again, maybe the funniest shtick I've ever seen.

In all seriousness, are you THAT bored and immature?

I mean i'm a lot of both but at least I don't have conversations with myself under other peoples names....

#52 Jordan
August 21 2014, 02:09PM

@Ryan Fancey

I'm just looking at the most recent data, while you are judging a player mostly by his first three years in the league. History shows that the fourth season is typically the breakout year for a lot of forwards, and Bozak showed that last year. You get so caught up with his corsi numbers and wowys (which don't mean all that much) and you discount the great year he had last year. If they can trade him for a better C than I'm all for it, but to suggest he's overpaid is an asdinine and blind position at this point.

#53 Stan Smith
August 21 2014, 03:23PM
Gumby wrote:

This moron is saying Bozak is a 1st line centre. Last season he had the 7th highest point production of all the centres in the league. That would mean there were 23 teams with 1st line centres that did worse than he did.

#54 gambo411@hotmail.com
August 21 2014, 03:43PM
Stan Smith wrote:

Once again, that wasn't me but some idiot troll.

My name is blue, his isn't... Stop being fooled by the fool.

Identity theft is a crime Jim.

#55 Gumby
August 21 2014, 03:44PM

@gambo411@hotmail.com

Or I could put my email as my name instead of signing in.

Yay Gumby. I'm totally not an idiot....

#56 Stan Smith
August 21 2014, 05:34PM

The one thing I will agree with is the Size issue with Bozak., I like 'em large.

#57 gambo411@hotmail.com
August 21 2014, 05:36PM

My ancestors came from Sicily by boat and spent years before they finally got into a legitamate business. Through the Roof.

#58 Nathan
August 22 2014, 02:14PM

This year will be huge for Bozak, under 50pts and people will want him gone or out of his 1st line spot.

Over and people will be generally happy with slight complaints of not having a PPG center.

Lets see if that shooting% is sustainable. It isn't but if he shoots at a decent clip with more shots he'll be alright.

#59 John Lofranco
August 23 2014, 01:14PM

Come on Cam Charron, let's see that Bozak and Franson for ROR deal happen! Lol.

#60 Neil B
August 25 2014, 12:29AM
Neil B wrote:

Hey idiot, Gauther and this years first rounder will be our top two centers soon. Wake up!!

You honour me with your name-hijacking. Humbly, I feel unworthy of your gesture, kind sir.