BREAKING: Blogger Hired For Thing

Steve Dangle
September 10 2014 08:03PM

Screen shot 2014-01-26 at 11.11.46 AM

Believe me. I'm just as surprised as you are.

So my life took a big turn this week. The biggest thing is Adam and Chris can no longer make fun of me for being unemployed. Oh, there's lots of stuff they can still mock me for. The other day I went to get a hat and Greg at Pro Image in Pickering goes "So uh... You got a head on ya, eh?" I still ended up buying a hat but only because it was adjustable. Should I stop awkwardly delaying this? Ok.

Rogers Sportsnet has hired me for a full-time contract position.

First and foremost, I'm thrilled to join them. I love hockey and that's where all the hockey is so it's a perfect fit. The old Fan 590 is where I got my start in media, halfway through the first season of my LFR videos and second year of University, when I was just 19-years-old. I walked through the offices there today and saw many of the people I first met back then and helped me develop my skills. It feels like a homecoming.

The role is largely internal so I can't really say much about it. That seems to be a trend with bloggers this summer, eh? What I can say is you will probably hear me on the radio from time time time and not just on sports stations and not just in Toronto. The job has national responsibilities. I want to stress that nobody forced Rogers to give me these responsibilities and I even showed them this video to ask them if they were totally sure.

Pretty sure my exact words to Don Kollins were "I make videos with toys and reenact scenes from 300." The fact I wasn't escorted out is probably a sign Sportsnet is down to have some fun with this.

What does this mean for everything else?

After speaking to the mighty and awesome Wanye, I won't be able to be the Managing Editor on this great website anymore. That's the bad news. The good news is you will still be able to find my videos and podcasts on this site! That's the other good news - I'm going to continue to do my videos and podcasts! In speaking to Sportsnet I stressed how important it was to me to continue to do my videos and podcasts and they agreed. After all, the reason I've had any success in my blogging (career?) so far is because of the videos, podcasts, and the amazing viewers and listeners who tune in.

Even though this isn't a goodbye, I want to thank you all. If you've ever watched a video, if you've ever listened to a podcast, if you've ever read a blog post, if you've ever sent me a quick message over Twitter, Facebook, or any other kind of social media or email - thank you. Your support is what allowed me to get this kind of opportunity. Even your criticisms have helped me grow as a person. Like I said - I was 19 when I started down this path, technically 18 when I began Radio & Television at Ryerson, and it has been a learning process. Whether you're new or you've been here the whole time - thank you.

As for this site, it's filled with amazing writers and we're working on brining in a few more over the coming weeks, including the Next TLN Blogger contest. They don't need me managing them to be great. They're great on their own.

The season is less than a month away and I have a lot of work to catch up on. Let's crush it!

Steve

PS - Look at Mrs. Dangle got me. What a keeper.

Screen shot 2014-09-10 at 9.48.24 PM

6b6884e175cda86e6828bab0537236ad
Steve Dangle has a YouTube channel with millions of views, is the co-host of the Steve Dangle Podcast on iTunes and SoundCloud, and is a secret agent for Sportsnet. Steve has also worked for CBC, the NHL Network, Leafs TV, Nike, the KHL, and most of all, the Toronto Zoo. What a goof.
#1 Nicholas M Chapman
September 10 2014, 08:07PM

Congrats bud. You deserve it

#2 Pritch68
September 10 2014, 08:07PM

Congratulations!!!

#3 David
September 10 2014, 08:15PM

Congrats Steve! You were the first person who really taught me about the game and basically everything I knew about the Leafs. I waited after every game for your video. I could always count on you for your laughs. I can't really say much about your podcast, because unlike your podcast I want this to be about hockey. Full congrats from me.

#4 Jim Spencer
September 10 2014, 08:18PM

Buying fake followers and fake plays on all your social media platforms (YouTube, Twitter, Soundcloud) finally paid off! *Actually* paid off!

Maybe if you bump into Simmon's son at work, you can cave in an giggle when he says stupid things, too.

Congrats to Sportsnet hiring an unprofessional hack with next to know knowledge about the game of hockey.

Fakers, rejoice!

#5 James Mirtle
September 10 2014, 08:23PM

Congrats sir. Dare you to wear the mask into your first day at the Rogers castle.

#6 Cam Charron
September 10 2014, 08:26PM

Keep those takes hot, Stove Dangle.

#7 Grabodangles
September 10 2014, 08:34PM

Congrats Steve, this is only first of many opportunities. Well Deserved and Well Done!

#8 Clarksons Wang
September 10 2014, 08:36PM

@Jim Spencer

If a guy with the username that refers to the wang of the most underachieving player in all of hockey last year thinks you're stupid, then you're stupid.

#9 Clarksons Wang
September 10 2014, 08:39PM

@Jim Spencer

From the podcasts to the videos, you really have earned this and then some. The fact that it took sportsnet this long to realize how talented you are at not only informing the public on aspects of the game in which they wouldn't have previously known, but also entertaining them while doing it, is truly amazing. You were born for this position dude and I think I speak for everyone when I say that I couldn't be happier for you.

#10 mottysco
September 10 2014, 08:48PM

Congrats Steve

#11 Fraz
September 10 2014, 08:51PM

Steve, you deserve this. You're a role model to me and I knew it was only a matter of time before you got a big time job like this. Keep it up Fan for Life Fraser

#12 Jeff Veillette
September 10 2014, 09:01PM

Does this make me a trophy wife now?

#13 WesternDP
September 10 2014, 09:29PM

Congrats,

This is what happens. You are young and believe in something. You work hard, pay your dues and eventually it turns into something good.

I keep thinking that one day I will read that the Marlies or the AHL has hired Jeffler

#14 MaxPower417
September 10 2014, 09:32PM

Congrats Steve. I first starting watching your LFRs during your second season doing them and right away could tell that this was only a matter of time.

#19 whichonespink
September 10 2014, 10:06PM

Well done! Happy you got the gig, even happier you'll still be making videos and podcast(your bread and butter)

#20 Willbur
September 10 2014, 10:25PM

Well look at that. Steve Dangle giving hope to the rest of us goofy bastards since Sept. 10 2014. Congrats.

#21 Anis Kazmi
September 10 2014, 10:34PM

Congrats Steve! All your hard works has finally paid off. Your an inspiration for me :)

#22 Mark
September 10 2014, 11:25PM

Jim spencer... You mad bro

#23 tomger
September 11 2014, 12:51AM

I was sad reading this until you said the videos are gonna keep on rolling its amazing what being Ryan rishaugs voice double will do for a career congrats from the oilers nation

#24 Andre Bradshaw
September 11 2014, 04:46AM

Yeah you told them about the toys and the videos, but did you tell them about luvudangler??? Congrats man.

#25 Tom Holder
September 11 2014, 06:43AM

Congrats! You'll get Phil Kessel's direct line for sure now!

#26 Ilija
September 11 2014, 06:58AM

Congratz!

I love watching your videos, and I believe they should be on TSN. Also, please get some of the leafs to face you guys in NHL 15 - or any for that matter.

#27 oldleaffan
September 11 2014, 07:00AM

Congrats Steve, I have enjoyed reading Leafs news and views on this site and wish you the best at Sportsnet.

#28 Bertly83
September 11 2014, 07:03AM

Congrats buddy!

#29 Maximum Taco
September 11 2014, 08:15AM

Congrats Steve!

As long as I keep getting podcasts dripping with Pokemon references I could not be happier for your success!

You deserve it buddy.

#30 Joe from Burlington
September 11 2014, 08:24AM

I tip my hat to you, sir.

#31 Avro
September 11 2014, 09:04AM

Congrats Steve!

#32 Hergy_91
September 11 2014, 09:36AM

Congrats, Steve well deserved. Oh and good luck with the new job.

#33 Tom Holder
September 11 2014, 10:34AM

Hey, which one of you did they hire? The guy with the hat or the other guy? I hope its the guy with the hat, he seems to have a higher beer quotient...

#34 glgbill
September 11 2014, 10:51AM

A big, heartfelt congratulations! I'm just a guy in the distance, but one who's enjoyed your work for years. Your passion, humor, and your ability to viscerally communicate what it means to love the Leafs are your gifts. Have fun taking them to a larger stage. Cheers, bill

#35 Goon
September 11 2014, 11:44AM

Great news! Congratulations!

#36 liamo
September 11 2014, 12:55PM

Well done Steve! Ive followed youfor a long time and you truly deserve this. It show's everyone how persistence and bloody hard work really does pay off!

#37 DiscipleOfThePhil
September 11 2014, 02:14PM

Congrats Steve, well deserved!

#38 JPJPJP
September 11 2014, 03:40PM

#BLOGGERSBEGETTINPAID

Congrats Steve, you definitely deserve it! Good luck!

#39 theterminathan
September 12 2014, 08:03AM

#loveyoudangler

#40 kobegeee
September 12 2014, 08:24AM

@Jim Spencer

What is your problem? Steve makes amazing content, day after day, and keeps thousands of people entertained. His years of hard work have finally paid off and he now has a full time position in his industry. Why wouldn't you be happy for the guy...