THE NATION NETWORK BUYS HOCKEYFIGHTS.COM

Wanye
September 29 2014 12:06PM

Ah it’s been quite a week. First we got to announce Jeanshorts is joining the Nation Network full time to head up our new video department. Then last Thursday we told you that The Royal Half has joined the Nation Network as our first American team site.

And now today the grand daddy of them all: we have purchased the immensely popular HockeyFights.com, making it the 9th site in the Nation Network.

WHAT IS HOCKEYFIGHTS.COM?

Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.38.02 AM

Seriously? What is hockeyfights?

*clears throat*

Oh I don’t know maybe one of the best websites ever?! In addition to being roughly equal in size to the Nation Network, it is also:

·      A Platinum YouTube channel – over 150,000,000 views of its videos

·      Social media kings: almost 39,000 followers on twitter.

·      Gigantic reach across the entire planet of Earth (and parts of Saturn)

Plus it's the site where you can watch Oilers past and present put Flames past and present to bed, pugilism wise. What could be better than that?

THE SMART STRATEGY

Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.28.51 AM

With our team sites and our trio of hockey resource websites – NHLNumbers.com, DailyFaceOff.com and now HockeyFights.com we calculate that we have at minimum 100,000 visitors monthly in 2/3 of the NHL markets. In fact we now project we will have 60 million visitors in the next 12 months to the network, generating 150 million pageviews annually in the process.

By properly circulating content – making sure you see OilersNation articles if you are looking at Oilers fights at hockeyfights.com, Oilers lineup changes at dailyfaceoff.com or Oilers Statistics at NHLnumbers.com for example – we can provide all of our team sites with a massive leg up in terms of attracting a larger audience.

Following this purchase, Nation Network traffic has enough momentum to continue adding existing sites, creating new ones and recruiting top writers and videographers across the league. We are looking forward to working with everyone and anyone near and far who are committed to covering the good old hockey game. Plus we still handle all our business here in Edmonton, Alberta - writing non-bouncing cheques made of solid ice like a good Canadian company should.

And as our team sites scream at each other in the shrill shrieks that only us bloggers can make – we can encourage more growth of a community of hockey fans across the league. Plus we can all entertain ourselves with photoshops, contests, games, podcasting and video and wait for the sun to eventually burn itself out.

Nothing to do now but kick back and watch some hockey.

THE WANYE STRATEGY

Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.32.43 AM

I don’t understand a word about Fenwick15, Corsi, Time on Ice During Shifts With Stick In One Hand, etc etc etc. However I do understand hockeyfights.com. Player fights player, player wins. We upload the content onto the internetz and talk about it all the live long day. What could be better than that!?

Nothing. And all it took was money? Please. I'm from Edmonton - they are handing out bags of cash titled "Northern Living Allowance" on Jasper Ave 5 days a week. What else is money good for if you aren't buying hockey fighting websites I ask you? Nothing.

(Note: Shout out to our new partner - I swear I won't waste all your money.)

WHAT DOES HOCKEYFIGHTS MAN THINK?

Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 11.50.23 AM

David Singer is the genius behind hockeyfights.com and he has been diligently operating its switches and levers for a great many years. Let's ask him shall we?

WG: What made you want to join the Nation Network?

HF: I thought it’d be nice for people to find out who you are.  You try so hard, it’s cute.  I mean, you know… Edmonton.

WG: It took a gigantic bag of cash to buy your site as well as a pile of shares that stretches to the moon. Do you think there is a viable business model in journalism in 2014?

HF: Who cares? I’m swimming like Scrooge McDuck.  But with pucks instead of coins.  After my first dive I looked like Sloth from The Goonies (j/k, I always have).

WG: How were the negotiations? Did I put you off at all with all my crying and begging?

HF: It wasn’t the crying that bothered me, it was the cuddling and smoking.

WG: What do you envision the future for the Nation Network to be?

HF: I remember this episode of Star Trek, that may or may not have happened, but there was a planet that was like a sex utopia. I think it’ll be just like that, but with hockey. We probably need a new dress code, but we can work out the logistics later.

Is this guy great or what? With this week of announcements and a massive reconstruction of the sites in full swing the 2014-15 NHL season is now underway. Now if you will excuse me, I have about 1,204,008 hours worth of redevelopment to do prior to rolling out new features throughout the fall and a new look for all sites in January 2015.

*tears off blogger sweatpants revealing programmer track pants underneath*

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
Blog so hard motherf**ckers try and find me. Tweet me @wanyegretz provided it is about Jordan Eberle or babes. Find me on instagram for photos of donairs.
#51 Casey
September 29 2014, 03:27PM

Nation Network domination to follow: Nation Network follow up with purchases of capgeek and NHL.com than blow everyone's mind with the purchases of google and facebook

#52 LOIL99
September 29 2014, 03:40PM
Truth wrote:

Open up the chequebook to Capgeek next!

for sure. i havent opened nhlnumbers.com since it spammed out viruses to everyone.

#53 Wax Man Riley
September 29 2014, 03:44PM
LOIL99 wrote:

lol

sneaky Wanye with his "Wormz" and "Trojanz"

#54 number99
September 29 2014, 03:46PM
David S wrote:

Well I'm in Edmonton, about a ten minute drive from Rexall. Pretty sure I'll be watching the game tonight in glorious Stop Action PixelVision from the team site. So basically you suck.

Id rather watch the game in StopAction PixelVision and not be surrounded by Canucks fans every day of my life. Cherish your location David S, you could be living here.....

#55 LOIL99
September 29 2014, 03:48PM
number99 wrote:

Pretty sure Centre Ice is made specifically for those who want to watch games that would otherwise be unavailable to them, such as blackouts, but that is only my understanding. I am in BC, and this game is available to me.

Not entirely true. Center Ice DOES NOT get around any regional broadcasting rules. For example, we would not get a BC regional broadcast on center ice package in Alberta. I looked into this extensively. Only nationally broadcast games (US and CAN) show up on Center Ice Package.

So to sum up, you will get a ton more USA Team vs USA Team games on center ice but no more CAN Teams than you would otherwise get on SN CBC or TSN.

This all said, it might have all changed this year with SN buying the NHL outright.

#56 oilerjed
September 29 2014, 03:48PM
number99 wrote:

Have the last 3 been available as well. I didnt try the Chicago game(thank Tesla for that) but the others were only black screens. Unless of course this was a new gimmick the NHL is trying and I forgot the NVGs.

#57 oilerjed
September 29 2014, 03:50PM
number99 wrote:

With the Oil moving up (hopefully) and the Cansucks going down this may start to be fun again!

#59 number99
September 29 2014, 03:53PM
oilerjed wrote:

Found this :

#60 oilerjed
September 29 2014, 04:01PM
number99 wrote:

Found this :

Thanks but I switched to the dark side:Telus

#61 rubbertrout
September 29 2014, 04:07PM

I'm not gonna lie Wanye, as much as I'm a fan of your collection of sites I'm still a Capgeek guy all the way. Never really got on board with NHLnumbers.

#62 number99
September 29 2014, 04:09PM
oilerjed wrote:

Thanks but I switched to the dark side:Telus

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. …We must be cautious.”

#63 treblecharger
September 29 2014, 04:10PM

Great move, Nation! Congrats on your growth!

#64 SavardianSpinorama
September 29 2014, 04:40PM

So The Nation is condoning "face punchers" and also shows pics of good looking women while they do it . . .

Has Lambert handed in his letter of resignation yet?

He hates face punchers and men who like good looking women, after all.

#65 -30-
September 29 2014, 05:51PM

Did you pay for the site with boxes of Oodle Noodles? That is the de facto currency of teh nation isn't it? -30-

#66 Zangetsu
September 29 2014, 08:31PM

Finally we have access to all the stats we need to calculate GritensityRel%/60 . Thank god Struds is on the advanced stats train now.

#67 Casey
September 29 2014, 08:52PM
jeanshorts wrote:

Will Suds be able to show me some of those fighting skills in the office so I can finally defend myself from Baggedmilk's unwanted romantic advances?

BOO JEANSHORTS!!

#68 Casey
September 29 2014, 08:54PM
Casey wrote:

BOO JEANSHORTS!!

Did I mention earlier that my last name really is Kasem?

#69 Oiler Al
September 29 2014, 10:26PM

This may happen: In a couple of years when the NHL bans fighting, the only place you will be able to see NHL fights is on hockeyfights.com Classics or you could take a page out of Cheery's book, and include "rock em sockem" footage.

#70 TML
September 29 2014, 11:26PM

i'm genuinely confused. doesn't the nation hate staged fights? why is hockey fights a part of the site now i don't get it...

#71 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
September 30 2014, 06:28AM
LOIL99 wrote:

im not sure this is true. i have had Centre Ice for a few years now, and have no issues getting, for example, a Leafs game broadcast on Leafs TV.

i have never had a game i wanted to watch not be there. granted, sometimes if its Hawks vs Habs you get the Hawks feed.

#72 Jeff In Lethbridge
September 30 2014, 07:02AM
oilerjed wrote:

"Oil moving up"

hahaha good one... this is the year, right??? winkwink

#73 Oilfan69
September 30 2014, 08:01AM

so now that you have made these quality additions can we start cutting the dead weight around here and release canucksarmy back down to the minor leagues?

#74 LOIL99
September 30 2014, 09:08AM
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

I am assuming you are in ALberta, so I will use that as the baseline.

Leafs TV has NATIONAL broadcast rights with the NHL for the Leafs games. So if I wanted to buy Leafs TV in Alberta, I could and I would get the games. Hence why it is available on Center Ice Package.

On the other end is the REGIONAL broadcast rights that SN purchases. They purchased BC rights for Vancouver games (Sportsnet Pacific), AB/SASK/MB rights for Calgary and Edmonton games (Sportsnet West), and ON rights for Ottawa games (Sortsnet Ontario). If you are not living in a given home area, you will not see the games on Center Ice Package.

Obviously if Edmonton is playing vs Vancouver for example, then the game will be able to be seen on SNP and SNW in BC/AB/SK/MB and also on Center Ice Package.

It is the same reason why if you purchase the "Sportsnet top up" from Shaw or Telus so that you get SN Pacific and SN Ontario, you will still be shown a blackout if you try to tune into a Vancouver vs Colorado game on SN Pacific while residing in Alberta.

I will say again though that with this new massive deal Rogers made with the NHL that starts this year, this might all change.

#75 Oiler Al
September 30 2014, 09:45AM
LOIL99 wrote:

I am assuming you are in ALberta, so I will use that as the baseline.

Live in S.W. Ontario, Have Center Ice for a few years now via Bell Sat. I watched 80 Oiler games last year.

The only games you could not get on Cent. Ice, were CBC National game. and some of the TSN national games and Leafs TV.

TSN regionals [ Wpg & Mtl.] were on Cent. Ice.

On Sportsnet Regionals on Cent.Ice, often its the hometeam feed you get. [ WOW, can.t stand the Vancouver crew]

Without Cent. Ice, all regional's are blacked out except your home region.

#76 Max Powers - Team HME Evans
September 30 2014, 12:18PM

I'm really enjoying watching the nations grow. I've been a dedicated reader since this was a small site. Talk about self made trillionaires.

#77 VK63
September 30 2014, 01:18PM

@TML

Staged fights are a part of the new pussified game. The material on HF largely shows two guys who have… during the course of play.. developed a strong dislike for each other. The resolution of those transgressions (perceived or otherwise) is

AWESOME!

#78 Wax Man Riley
September 30 2014, 04:46PM
TML wrote:

IT'S ALL ABOUT THA BENJAMINS

#79 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
October 01 2014, 08:01AM

@LOIL99

obviously we could go back and forth on this, but i am fairly sure you are incorrect.. or i am incredibly lucky with the Centre Ice package my provider gives me.

#80 Harlie
October 01 2014, 12:25PM

Nice move on buying HockeyFights. I don't go there too often but have went a few times to find fights I couldn't see on Youtube.

A suggestion would be for the Network to buy up HFboards. That would be a major coup and would capture a huge audience.