Roberto Luongo, of all people fuels Stamkos-to-Leafs fire

Jeff Veillette
January 31 2016 05:56PM

This year's NHL all-star game has been a lot of fun. PK Subban has continued to be the face that the league deserves but refuses to use, Jaromir Jagr has proven himself to be ageless, and John Scott has embarrassed the league by being completely and totally able to keep up despite the league's repeated attempts to keep him away from the event.

Leo Komarov has been a lot of fun too, he hasn't really stood out in any of the events, but the Instagrams of cowboy hats and goofy smiles have been great. But we all know that next year, the Leafs need an all star that's truly in the elite class of the league; something that Roberto Luongo agrees with.

Stamkos, of course, is an unrestricted free agent in July, and the subject of infinite speculation linking him to his hometown team. But Luongo is no stranger to the Leafs hype either. Before James Reimer went on his miracle run in the lockout-shortened 2012/13 season, the Leafs were rumoured to be highly interested in the then-Vancouver Canucks starting goaltender. A pre-season deal never materialized after Mike Gillis requested a hefty return, but when the price fell later in the season, a smaller deal that would have sent Ben Scrivens and a draft pick to Vancouver was close enough to pull Luongo off the ice in practice.

Ultimately, the Leafs decided to ride Reimer for the rest of the year and added Jonathan Bernier in the summer, while Luongo eventually made his way back to the Florida Panthers, the team where he originally established himself. But he clearly has a sense of humour about the speculation, and obviously couldn't resist taking a jab at his temporary teammates.

All I ask, though, Roberto, is to not get my hopes too far up. I don't have it in me to get burned again.

7cb905bdffc4d09e93770ff4a1889462
Managing Editor of Hockey Content at the Nation Network. Just here so I'll get the opposite of fined. If you'd like to collaborate or simply have a question, email me at jeff@veillette.me
#1 leafer2020
January 31 2016, 07:00PM

leafs are getting john scott aren't we

#2 Gary Empey
January 31 2016, 07:26PM

What did Luongo actually say?

#3 Ginger
January 31 2016, 07:32PM
Gary Empey wrote:

What did Luongo actually say?

Read the article. He didn't say anything. He made a tweet to be funny

#4 Gary Empey
January 31 2016, 07:40PM
Ginger wrote:

Read the article. He didn't say anything. He made a tweet to be funny

I read the article. I don't see any tweets for Luongo. I see one from Strombone which I can surmise may be the one the article refers to.

#5 Gordon
January 31 2016, 07:41PM
Gary Empey wrote:

What did Luongo actually say?

He mentioned that Leo Komarov would be paired with future teammate Steven Stamkos. Perhaps he was reffering to a possible trade sending Komarov to the Lightning?

#6 Corno4
January 31 2016, 11:01PM

@Gary Empey

Strombone is Luongo's twitter handle. I'm not sure where the name comes from though.

#7 Gary Empey
February 01 2016, 01:02AM
Corno4 wrote:

Ok that explains it for me. I thought Strombone was that CBC classical music broadcaster, that is now also doing sports.

#8 Canada Cup
February 01 2016, 06:49AM
Gary Empey wrote:

Ludwig Van Komarov?

#9 NewPants
February 01 2016, 02:31PM
leafer2020 wrote:

leafs are getting john scott aren't we

Good luck against the 29 other teams looking to get him.

#10 lupul4captain
February 01 2016, 08:53PM
leafer2020 wrote:

leafs are getting john scott aren't we

I would pay money to watch John Scott (Member of the Toronto Maple leafs) beats up phil Kessel again.