April 20 2015 01:00PM
In case you missed it, the Leafs will not be drafting first overall thanks to the rigidly held tradition that the Oilers must pick first overall. While there was a 9.5% chance at happiness, there was an even greater chance at sadness (depending on your allegiances as high as 90.5%). We can take comfort in the fact that Connor McDavid will not be a Bruin, a King, or a Flyer, and to me that’s worth celebrating. The fact that he’s playing out of conference is also a nice little plus. And there’s the small matter of the Leafs being able to select an incredibly talented player with the 4th overall pick. Hanifin, Strome, Marner, you can’t go wrong (famous last words) and personally I don’t care which one is selected since at some point of the past season I’ve made a case for anyone of them being a Leaf.
Like the draft results or not, the draft lottery has set off a series of events around the league that will shift the way the off season is approached, and given that there aren’t any Leafs games to base power rankings on this week. We will instead rank the top ten Leafs who could be impacted by the draft lottery results.
April 20 2015 11:05AM
This summer has the potential to be one of the busiest in recent years for a lot of NHL clubs, as it's been forecast to include a deep draft and an abundance of options for coaching and management positions in need of filling. After a few teams got things started with personnel changes last week (notably the Leafs and Flyers), a bigger name hit the market today when Todd McLellan and the Sharks decided things just weren't working out.
April 19 2015 08:23PM
The meteoric rise of the Toronto Marlies over the past few months has been a fun story to follow along with, but these last few weeks in particular have been nuts. All of the heavy artillery players seem to be hitting the net with total precision. Points have been gained where they shouldn't be and dropped in disadvantageous areas. Even as they started closing in, things seemed unlikely.
But the wins started piling up. Not only have the Marlies squeaked into the playoffs, they've jumped into the seventh seed.
April 19 2015 12:00PM
You can't win em all, and it turns out if you're Buffalo you literally can't win anything. But YOU have won and your reward is another First Star, Worst Star!
April 18 2015 09:18PM
A playoff spot is clinched, which means there's nothing for the Toronto Marlies to play for, right? Wrong! Going into tonight, the team had wiggle room to climb as high as an additional two spots in the Western Conference standings, depending on how Chicago, Oklahoma City and Texas did. Oh, and themselves, because they had a game against the Rockford IceHogs. It wasn't the prettiest, but they did manage to pick up the two points.