EA SPORTS is up to their usual trickery, and letting “the fans” “decide” who “wins” “the vote” for the NHL cover. Emphasis on the quotes, because I like to drum up baseless conspiracies in an effort to believe that the average fan did really think that Martin Brodeur was the best option. Anyway, Phil Kessel is a potential nominee, and I ask but one thing of you – make sure this goes down.
- First and foremost, nobody has never made it to the cover of an EA Sports game while wearing a Leafs jersey. Eric Lindros (99), Owen Nolan (2001), and Dion Phaneuf (09) eventually played for the Leafs, but that was after the fact. This needs to change.
- In fact, the only Leafs jersey to make it to a video game cover? Mats Sundin’s. He was on the Canadian cover of Backyard Hockey 2005 and NHL 2K6. But those barely count; geographical cheating aside, Backyard Hockey’s fighting engine was literally “play rock/paper/scissors” and NHL 2K6 was one of the weaker 2K games. At least when a Blue Jay is on the Canadian cover of MLB The Show every year, it’s a good video game.
- He’s up against PK Subban, who, while awesome, plays against the Montreal Canadiens, which makes him the enemy by default. Every time you don’t vote for Phil Kessel, you’re supporting the Habs. Is that a life you would like to live?
- Look at the other candidates. The correct answer for Patrice Bergeron and Erik Karlsson is a sever error, Logan Couture won’t win because he’s a Shark, Matt Duchene should be saved for the year that you can design your own stick curves, and TJ Oshie for a year where new shootout mechanics are brought in. Drew Doughty would be decent, I guess, but we’ve seen enough reminders that the Kings are good at hockey as of late.
- There’s a big emphasis on authentic arena atmosphere this year, and it would be hilarious to see EA release Kessel promo shots with half-empty platinum seats.
- Tim Leiweke is big on this “super brand” idea, and if he sees the Leafs on a bunch of video game covers, he’ll get so excited that he’ll attempt to straight up buy the Stanley Cup.
- This can be the deluxe edition box:
Vote for Kessel using #NHL15Kessel or at http://nhl.com/covervote