Tonight the Leafs play in Quebec City, a place that is best known for not having a NHL team. They will be playing against the Canadiens, which is additionally funny since no fans hated the Canadiens more than Nordique fans. Anyway, it’s preseason hockey and it’s a great time to give lip service to communities that were rejected for expansion.
The Leafs have an entertaining lineup tonight, and make this a game worth paying attention to. Aside from Connor Brown and Connor Carrick, all of the players are fighting for NHL a couple of NHL jobs and even Carrick and Brown are trying to make their case for expanded roles this season.
Lineup (via Jonas Siegel)
Terry-de la Rose-Mitchell
- According to Kristen Shilton, McElhinney will play the full game tonight.
- Matthews and Marner both made the list of the Top 50 players on TSN’s annual rankings. I’ll let you guess which one of them was higher.
- Over at ESPN, Matthews, Nylander, and Marner made the list of top 25 players under 25 (paywall)
- Patrick Marleau has a good backhand
- The Leafs Money on the Board campaign is back for another season, and you can get all the details on it here.
- Some notable names have gone on waivers today, including Ty Rattie, Beau Bennett, Emerson Etem, and Leafs legend Zach Sill.
We can look forward to a good time being had by all tonight with a very Marlies lineup going up against a much more NHL-y Habs roster. The game should lead to some decisions on Leafs bubble players, and with the clock ticking, it seems like cuts and waivers could be a reality very soon.