In this monthly Maple Leafs Milestone Watch column, we’ll be recapping the milestones of the previous month and setting up which milestones are likely (or even farfetched) to occur in the upcoming month.
Notable milestones hit last month:
- William Nylander – 400 NHL/Leafs GP
Nylander got this one out of the way early, on February 1st vs. the New Jersey Devils. He did not hit the scoresheet in the Leafs’ 7-1 victory.
Congrats to William Nylander on 400 NHL games! 🥳 pic.twitter.com/AkBR4VJlEL
— The Leafs Nation (@TLNdc) February 2, 2022
- Mitch Marner – 400 NHL/Leafs Points
Marner had an unbelievable February, posting nine goals and 14 assists for 23 points in 12 games. He came into the month just nine points back of the 400-point plateau and needed just five games to hit the mark, with this powerplay goal against Seattle.
MITCH MARNER 🚨
400 Career points 🔥 pic.twitter.com/VV981905xO
— Omar (@TicTacTOmar) February 15, 2022
Marner (391 games) became the third-fastest Leaf to hit the 400-point mark, behind Auston Matthews (372 games) and Syl Apps (387) as well as the second-youngest to accomplish the feat (24 years, 285 days to Matthews’ 24 years, 136 days).
- TJ Brodie – 100 Leafs GP
Brodie skated in his 100th game as a Leaf on February 10th against his old team, the Calgary Flames. It wasn’t a fun night, though, as Toronto fell 5-2 to the Flames.
The Leafs have 14 games on the schedule in March, with just one three-day break between games. That means plenty of runway for milestones after a couple of comparatively uneventful months. Here’s what realistically could be achieved this month:
- Mitch Marner – 400 NHL/Leafs GP (1 game away)
- MILESTONE OF THE MONTH: Wayne Simmonds – 1000 NHL GP (2 games away)
- Wayne could hit this milestone against Vancouver on March 5th
- Wayne Simmonds – 100 Leafs GP (11 games away)
- David Kampf – 300 NHL GP (12 games away)
- LONGSHOT OF THE MONTH: Auston Matthews – 450 NHL/Leafs goals (14 goals away)
- For almost any other player on Earth, 14 goals in 14 games would be too farfetched to include this month, but this is Auston Matthews we are talking about.
- Mitch Marner – 300 NHL/Leafs assists (10 assists away)
- William Nylander – 200 NHL/Leafs assists (11 assists away)
- John Tavares – 500 NHL assists (12 assists away)
- @TJ Brodie – 300 NHL points (6 points away)
- @Alex Kerfoot – 100 Leafs points (11 points away)
- Jack Campbell – 50 Leafs wins (7 wins away)
- It hasn’t been pretty lately but Jack has shown he can win games in bunches.
- Petr Mrazek – 25 NHL Shutouts (1 shutout away)
All-Time Leafs Leaderboard
*As of February 28th
*Top 50 for skaters, top 40 for goaltenders
More from THELEAFSNATION
- PODCAST- TLN Radio: Do the Leafs have one of the best top lines in the league?