UPDATE: Leo Komarov heading back to Russia

Ryan Fancey
November 15 2012 10:15AM

After only a few weeks with the Toronto Marlies, Leo Komarov is taking his hockey bag and going home. Well, going back to his old KHL club at least: Dynamo Moscow.

The Finnish forward signed with the Leafs this summer, but with no end to the lockout in sight, I guess he figured he'd rather suit up in the KHL over plugging away with the Marlies for the year. I'd probably do the same.

From RIA Novosti:

"When the NHL lockout struck in mid-September, Komarov decided to stay in the North America to play for the AHL affiliate team the Toronto Marlies, and notched up seven points in 11 games.

But now the 25-year-old player wants to return to Russia.

“Leo Komarov is returning to Dynamo, he will probably arrive on Friday,” spokesman Mikhail Kravchenko said. “He will likely take part in his first match at the start of the next home series.”

For Leafs fans, this will likely be the last we hear of the 2006 sixth round pick. Have a nice life Leo.

UPDATE -- Our Russian friend Andrey Osadchenko sent out this tweet:

This is a fairly unfortunate loss for the Leafs organization to get a potential bottom six player out of the North American system...

8cea4e8f4ec20c8718c64e8b5900cd19
I think I'm finally over game seven.
#1 Adam
November 15 2012, 09:23AM

"Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 Despite reports of an imminent return to the KHL, Leo Komarov is taking part in Marlies practice this morning."

Hmm...

#2 Cam Charron
November 15 2012, 10:17AM

Updated with Andrey's tweet. Him and Leo chat quite a bit so I'm willing to agree with him over a beat reporter who isn't as familiar with the player or league.

#3 Justin Fisher
November 15 2012, 11:16AM

I was under the impression he'd be willing to return, maybe not for a shortened season this year, but perhaps next year.

Andrey?

#4 Steve Dangle
November 15 2012, 08:36PM
Justin Fisher wrote:

Andrey?

I spoke to Andrey today and what's going to happen is he'll go to Dynamo for the remainder of this season with the hopes of trying to crack the Leafs' lineup next year. That's what he's hoping for, anyway. Whether or not that comes to fruition remains to be seen.

#5 Nima
November 16 2012, 02:00PM

Yeah what Steve said. This is from Dallas Eakins:

"One of the big things is I think Leo wants to make sure that if he does leave that he can come back if the lockout ends. No matter what happens, this kid is a good prospect, he's worked hard to get where he's at for a shot at the NHL. And that's his end-game. For Leo, this is about playing in the NHL, that's what he wants to do and I think he's going to push for a job if it ever does start back up."