With four games left to play, there’s plenty for the Maple Leafs to still achieve
Photo credit:© John E. Sokolowski-USA TODAY Sports
By Mark Norman1 year ago
Having clinched a playoff spot and with home-ice advantage within grasp, the Maple Leafs are now firmly into “don’t get injured” territory as the season runs out.
However, there are still things left to play for, and while individual accomplishments have taken a back seat to team ones this season with the Leafs hyper-focused on winning in the postseason, we’ve taken a look at which notable milestones are within reach over the next four games.
- Home-Ice Advantage in Round One (Target: 112, Current: 108)
- The highest number of points Tampa Bay can reach this season is 112, and the Leafs currently hold the tie-breaker in Regulation Wins by a score of 43-35, meaning the Leafs need 4 of 8 points to clinch home-ice for round one.
- Highest Points Percentage (Target: 0.688, Current: 0.692)
- This year’s Leafs have already broken the franchise record for points in a season, previously set at 105 in 2017-18, but they can beat last year’s franchise record for points percentage by grabbing 5 of 8 points for 113 points in 82 games.
- Top-3 in Goals For (Target: 311, Current: 299)
- The #1 and #2 marks of 337 (1989-90) and 322 (1980-81) goals may be a little out of reach with just four games remaining, but third-place mark of 311 goals is just 12 goals away, which would require the Leafs to average three goals per game for the rest of the season.
- Top-3 Points by a Leaf in a Season(@Auston Matthews) (Target: 111, Current: 102)
- This one may be a little out of reach, but with four games remaining Matthews is 9 points away from tying Doug Gilmour’s 1993-94 season total of 111 points… in nine fewer games.
- Highest Points-Per-Game by a Leaf in a Season (Auston Matthews) (Target: 1.53, Current: 1.46)
- Matthews has missed seven games due to injury and suspensions this season, which has put a damper on him climbing the overall point standings. But the points-per-game record (minimum 60 games) of 1.53 could be achieved if Matthews goes absolutely supernova in the next four games with 13 points. It’s crazy to even acknowledge this could happen, but it’s Auston Matthews we’re talking about.
- 60 Goals in a Season (Auston Matthews) (Target: 60, Current: 58)
- Unless Matthews goes absolutely cold in the next four games, this one should be a gimme. With 2 goals, he would be the third player of the salary cap era to hit 60, after @Alexander Ovechkin’s 65 in 2007-08 and @Steven Stamkos’ 60 in 2011-12
- Highest NHL Goals-Per-Game in a Season in Salary Cap History (Auston Matthews) (Target: 0.79, Current: 0.83)
- The amazing thing about Matthews’ season is that he’s on track to play only 74 games this season. If he were to maintain his current 0.83 goals-per-game mark through the end of the season, he would have the highest goals-per-game in salary cap history. Just 1 goal in his next four games would clinch this record.
- 8th All-Time in Goals Scored by a Leaf (Auston Matthews) (Target: 260, Current: 257)
- Matthews needs just 3 goals to tie Wendel Clark for third all-time in Leafs goal-scoring
- 100 Points in a Season (@Mitch Marner) (Target: 100, Current: 95)
- Marner can reach 100 points in a season with 5 points by the end of the season, which would make him the fourth Maple Leaf to hit that plateau.
- 9th All-Time in Assists by a Leaf (Mitch Marner) (Target: 321, Current: 316)
- Marner can tie Doug Gilmour for ninth all-time in assists by a Leaf with 5 assists over the next four games.
- 13th and 14th All-Time in Points by a Leaf (Auston Matthews & Mitch Marner) (Target: 458/459, Current: 453)
- Matthews and Marner are currently tied for 15th all-time in points by a Leaf with 453 points apiece. Next in their sights is 14th-placed Tim Horton at 458 points and 13th-placed Lanny McDonald at 459 points.
- Most Even Strength Points by a Maple Leaf Rookie in a Season (Michael Bunting) (Target: 59, Current 58)
- Bunting and his 58 EVP currently shares this record with Gus Bodnar from 1943-44. Just 1 point would put him in sole possession of the lead.
- Most Points by a Maple Leaf Rookie in a Season (@Michael Bunting) (Target: 70, Current: 63)
- This one may seem a little out of reach, but have you seen Michael Bunting’s linemates? With 7 points in his next four games, Bunting can surpass Auston Matthews’ franchise record for points scored by a rookie, which currently stands at 69.
Obviously, at the end of the day we just want the most healthy Leafs team possible as they head into the postseason, but if we can have a little fun along the way, why not?
More from TheLeafsNation.com
- (Alter) Auston Matthews set to for Maple Leafs following three-game absence with undisclosed injury
- (Dimas) If you’re not cheering for the Maple Leafs this postseason, you’re being difficult
- (Steitzer) The Panthers could win the true test of merit, that should be enough
Recent articles from Mark Norman