Well, that was an eventful month! What was supposed to be the glorious end to Stammergeddon and a period of relaxation where nobody quite cared about anything else ended up being much different. The Leafs instead ended up building up the depth side of the roster with a level of urgency that made us all get a little antsy, for better or for worse.
Anyway, with the month behind about to be behind us, and knowing that some of our readers may have gone on vacation or taken an offseason breather from the game, I’ve assembled all of the news, takes, and resources that TLN had to offer in July into a couple of easy to follow lists.
A Timeline of News
- July 1st: Ex-Leafs move quickly as Reimer, Percy find new homes
- July 1st: Toronto Maple Leafs expected to sign Justin Holl
- July 1st: Maple Leafs sign Matt Martin to 4-year deal
- July 2nd: Leafs sign Roman Polak to one-year deal
- July 4th: Marlies sign Colin Smith, Marc-Andre Cliche
- July 4th: Marlies bring back Rich Clune, will add Dmytro Timashov
- July 5th: Holland, Marincin, Corrado all file for arbitration
- July 7th: Leafs announce plans for centennial season
- July 8th: Leafs trade Jonathan Bernier to Anaheim for Conditional Pick
- July 12th: Toronto Marlies sign Cason Hohmann, Eric Faille
- July 15th: Leafs re-sign Garret Sparks to one-year contract
- July 18th: Jonathan Bernier’s pick conditions revealed, are high risk, high reward
- July 18th: Phil Kessel spends his day with the cup in Toronto, heads to SickKids hospital
- July 20th: Marlies sign Tony Cameranesi, Willie Corrin to AHL contracts
- July 21st: Auston Matthews signs Entry-Level contract
- July 21st: Leafs sign Josh Leivo to two-year contract
- July 22nd: Leafs place Peter Holland on waivers
- July 22nd: Leafs sign Connor Carrick to two-year contract
- July 23rd: Peter Holland clears waivers, arbitration details set
- July 23rd: Panthers hire Leafs player evaluation consultant Wes Clark
- July 24th: Toronto Maple Leafs closing in on signing Jhonas Enroth (Yet to be confirmed report)
- July 25th: Leafs, Holland settle before arbitration hearing, agree on 1-year deal
- July 25th: Frank Corrado and Leafs settle before arbitration hearing on 1-year deal
- July 26th: Leafs sign Trevor Moore to 3-year Entry Level Contract
- July 26th: Marlies sign Brett Findlay, Solar Bears sign Patrick Watling to 1-year deals
- July 29th: Leafs sign Martin Marincin to 2-year deal ahead of arbitration
- Is Joffrey Lupul Done?
- Comparing the Leafs’ Big 3 to Pokemon’s Big 3
- It might be time to start questioning Leafs management again
- 12 things to consider about the Matt Martin signing
- 8 things to consider about the Roman Polak signing
- Why a rebound of percentages could lead to a quick Leafs turnaround
- Why ‘the Mandela incident’ was the beginning of Bernier’s end in Toronto
- Do the Leafs’ recent decisions reflect the club’s overall mentality?
- Martin’s signing not just about grit, but fit as well
- What’s new Leafs? A pussycat. Whoa whoa whoaaaa.
- One small mistake isn’t a big deal. Several small mistakes can be.
- 11 ideas for the Leafs’ 100th-anniversary festivities
- Talkin’ about Lou’s Rules
- Counting chickens and Jimmy Vesey
- The end of a long weekend at Bernies
- Why the KHL is the right choice for Vladimir Bobylev to make his next step
- ‘You never played the game’
- More than just a game, more than just a bylaw
- Let’s keep expectations low for John Tavares
- After all the hype, Matthews’ ELC saga was much ado about nothing
- 5 Jerseys in Leafs History that I would refuse to wear
- Auston Matthews & the sluggish World Cup of Hockey sales
- Potential new names, similar expectations for Leafs’ goaltenders
- Despite having all the players, the Marlies have one key hole
- Leafs fans are losing confidence in Lou Lamoriello (Reader Poll)
- The Leafs have a logjam of waiver-eligible roster players
- 5 players that the Leafs could buy out next week
- 7 potential candidates to be the Leafs’ next captain
- 9 potential backup goalies that the Leafs could sign or call up next year
- Navigating through Toronto’s salary cap wilderness
- PGPS Numbers for the 2016 Leafs Draft Class
- How the AHL’s new fighting rules will affect the Marlies
- Breaking down the Toronto Furies (and CWHL) schedule
- A statistical look at Matt Martin
- Looking at the Leafs through the eyes of game score
- Leafs on the Powerplay: Zefr Rate
- Kerby Rychel isn’t actually expansion exempt, but that’s fine
- The long-term outlook of Toronto’s rookie bonuses
As an aside, this month was a huge one for TLN as a website. After setting single-month records for traffic and active users in June, we broke the active users record once again and, despite the relative lack of news to write about, had our third most-trafficked month in site history. By comparison, our active reader base this July is 70% bigger than it was last year. Despite it being the offseason, our reader base over the past 90 days has grown by 30%.
Of course, the numbers themselves aren’t a goal for us, but rather a reflection of the support our staff have put in over the past few months, and more importantly, the support you’ve all shown us of late. Even at times where perspectives weren’t met eye to eye, some fantastic dialogue has come about to bring us all closer to understanding this crazy team that we probably spend too much of our time caring about. Either way, the support doesn’t go unnoticed and we’ll be continuing to look for different ways to make the platform even more of a must-visit for everyone throughout the summer and into the new season.
In the meantime, though… can the Leafs sign Enroth already? Seriously, we’ve been waiting all week.