Round three recap: Who scored the goal of the year for Toronto?
Photo credit:Raj Mehta-USA TODAY Sports
By Joseph Zita5 months ago
About two and a half weeks ago, I went through all 315 goals scored by the Toronto Maple Leafs this season and picked out the best ones. From there, I narrowed it down even further to the 16 best in my opinion that could possibly contend for “The Leafs Goal of the Year”. However, I wanted to include the followers in on this so I decided to make a bracket for this and post two goals daily and give you the chance to vote on a goal that you would like to see in the next round.
We started with eight matchups in round one and as the days went on, goals were being eliminated and we eventually got to round two, and round three. Now, we’re down to only two goals from the original 16 that were in the bracket, and today, you will yet again get the chance to vote on the goal you think deserves to move on, and in this case, be the goal of the year for Toronto.
Over on our Twitter (@TLNdc), we will be putting out a poll around 12:00 pm ET and you will click one of the two goals that you like best. With all of that out of the way now, let’s take a look at what happened in round three, who advanced to the finals, who got eliminated, and what the total votes were in the last round.
Winner: Mitch Marner vs VGK (Nov. 2, 2021) – 71% of votes
Loser: Morgan Rielly vs PIT (Feb. 17, 2022) – 29% of votes
Winner: Auston Matthews vs DAL (Apr. 7, 2022) – 72% of votes
Loser: Auston Matthews vs SEA (Mar. 8, 2022) – 28% of votes
Who advanced: Mitch Marner vs VGK, and Auston Matthews vs DAL
Who got eliminated: Morgan Rielly vs PIT, and Auston Matthews vs SEA
Below is the updated bracket with the final matchup that will be taking place starting today.
More from TheLeafsNation.com
- The Petr Mrazek Dilemma: Buyout or Trade? by Michael Mazzei
- Using stats to try and find hidden draft gems by Jon Steitzer
- William Nylander doesn’t need to change to have success with Maple Leafs by Nick Barden
POINTSBET IS LIVE IN ONTARIO!
PointsBet Canada has officially launched in Ontario! Get a $25 free bet just for signing up right here!
Recent articles from Joseph Zita
- Leafs practice notes: Jarnkrok out minimum two weeks, Simmonds in, and Brodie improving
- Mitch Marner earns NHL’s third star of the month, ties franchise record for longest point streak in the process
- Off-season departures: Former goalies continue their struggles, Ilya Mikheyev finding success in top-six role