Since the Devils and the Leafs last met, both of the teams have seen their record normalize a little bit. Both teams are still sitting at the top of the Eastern Conference, but the Devils have gone 5-3-2 in the last 10, while the Leafs have been 5-5-0.
For a while it looked like tonight would see the return of Auston Matthews to the Leafs lineup, but that wonderful dream died a slow death this morning, and instead the Leafs will have to see if they can extend their three game winning streak they’ve enjoyed without him. I guess this brings us one step closer to Josh Leivo reaching his 39 games needed to remain a restricted free agent, so there’s also that.
- All signs point to it being Schneider vs. Andersen in net tonight. That’s a bit of a problem for the Leafs because Schneider is incredibly good.
- I’m not sure I’m ready to be worried about Miles Wood, Brian Gibbons, and Jesper Bratt, but apparently I should be.
- It’s nice to see Brian Boyle in the lineup. I’ve always been a fan of his and kinda wish the Leafs would have brought him back.
- It will be interesting to see how guys like Dominic Moore and Josh Leivo play knowing that they potentially press box bound with Auston’s return.
- Similarly I’d expect a big game out of Connor Brown who demoted to the fourth line when Auston Matthews joined line rushes at practice.
Game starts at 7pm ET and will be on TSN 4.