Some Keith Petruzzelli highlights from this season. The 6-foot-6 netminder is 6-0-0 and has a .922 SV% with the Marlies. Coming off of a strong first professional season with the @NLGrowlers pic.twitter.com/09g3cj1WzB
— Kyle Cushman (@Kyle_Cush) November 6, 2022
Matthew Knies | W | Minnesota (NCAA)
— Nick Richard (@_NickRichard) November 5, 2022
— Nick Richard (@_NickRichard) November 5, 2022
Ty Voit | C/W | Sarnia (OHL)
It was another stellar game for Ty Voit (4A) & Nolan Burke (3G) last night.
Voit's pass on the 5-5 goal was utterly absurd. One of the best stretch passes I've ever seen.
Voit is 1st in points (28) & Assists (22) while Burke is 1st in goals (11).
There hasn't been a better duo pic.twitter.com/WLoljy7oF6
— @StingUpdates (@StingUpdates) November 3, 2022
Notes from the rest of the prospect pool:
- Nick Robertson found himself in the press box as a healthy scratch for two straight games last week but got back into the lineup against Carolina on Sunday night. He started on a line with Pierre Engvall and Calle Järnkrok but with Leafs in need of a jolt, Sheldon Keefe got the blender out and Robertson ended up on a line with John Tavares and Mitch Marner. The trio would connect on what ended up being the winner in a big game for the club, and Robertson was around it offensively throughout the game. The assist was Robertson’s fifth point in just seven games as he continues to establish himself as an NHL regular.
- Pontus Holmberg has also been working to break through to the NHL, and following a strong preseason and seven games with the Marlies in which he performed much better than his stat line, he was recalled by the Leafs and made his NHL debut last Wednesday against Philadelphia. Holmberg gives the Leafs another much-needed natural center option in their bottom-six, and Sheldon Keefe liked what he saw from the 2018 sixth-rounder.
- Topi Niemelä hasn’t produced offense like he did a year ago, but he did manage his third goal of the season this past week. He now has five points in 20 games so far this season but part of that has been poor shooting luck by both him and his teammates. Last year’s point totals were always going to be tough to replicate, but it has been an underwhelming season on the stat sheet for Niemelä so far.
#Leafs prospect update thread (11.04)
Topi Niemela scored a goal in Karpat's 4-3 shootout win over KalPa. He finished a +1 and had 1 shot on goal on 4 shot attempts.
Totals (Liiga, RD): 19 GP, 3 G, 5 PTS, 53.6 CF% pic.twitter.com/JnPTDYBa8K
— Kyle Cushman (@Kyle_Cush) November 4, 2022
- Alex Steeves continues to build his case for earning the next call-up to the Leafs, whenever that may be. He registered two points in each of the Marlies’ three games last week and now has five goals and eight assists in just 10 games so far this season. With Nicolas Aubé-Kubel scooped up off waivers by the Washington Capitals, Steeves’ path to the NHL got a little clearer.
- Nick Abruzzese had a big three point game on Saturday, picking up a goal and two assists in a 5-2 win over Belleville. After a bit of a slow start, he now has four goals and four assists in his first 10 games with the Marlies.
- Ryan Tverberg has been one of the biggest stories in the Leafs’ prospect pool through the early part of the season, and he was rewarded by being named the Hockey East Player of the Month for October. He has been held without a point through UConn’s first two games in November but still has seven goals and four assists in 11 games on the season.
#HockeyEast MEN’S PLAYER OF THE MONTH
— Hockey East (@hockey_east) November 3, 2022
- The Leafs’ third-round pick from the 2022 draft, Nick Moldenhauer, announced his commitment to the University of Michigan this past week. Michigan is arguably the top hockey program in the NCAA, and they have produced a number of quality NHLers over the years, so it is a great place for him to continue his development. Moldenhauer has 10 goals and eight assists in 13 games for the Chicago Steel so far this season.
- Mikko Kokkonen has struggled to earn consistent minutes with the Marlies so far and was loaned Newfoundland in the ECHL this past week. He has gotten into three games for the Growlers so far, registering an assist, and will likely be back with the Marlies before long.
- Brandon Lisowsky keeps heating up, and he went three straight games with a goal and an assist last week. He has now been held off the scoresheet just once in his last ten games and has 18 points in 16 games for Saskatoon so far.
Lizzo gets a 🎁 and makes no mistake on the release pic.twitter.com/HmvEiNevL7
— Saskatoon Blades (@BladesHockey) November 6, 2022
- Just eight games into his third season in the OHL, Braeden Kressler is just one goal shy of his career high. He scored two more on Saturday to bring his season totals to eight goals and four assists in eight games, and he is well on his way to a big season for the Firebirds if he can stay healthy.